Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

So lockdown worked!

(85 Posts)
Daisymae Mon 30-Nov-20 09:02:50

Widely reported that infection rates have dramatically fallen in many areas. This is good news. Now we are getting set to make sure that we have a second wave in January by dashing to the shops in the next few weeks then locking ourselves in with those we love the most for a few days. This is the plan right???

Lucca Mon 30-Nov-20 18:37:55

JenniferEccles

But how Lucca ?
It’s so very easy to be critical but with a population the size of ours and with such a large ethnic mix, there is no magic formula to ensure the best outcome for the hospitals and the economy.

I happen to think Margaret Thatcher was the best PM we have ever had but I don’t think even she would have managed to protect both lives and livelihoods.

Don’t get me wrong I’m no expert but I think she’d have closed the borders, clamped down on things like the race meetings etc and made the lockdown much tighter. She wouldn’t have been so desperate to be liked and I rather hope she would it have tolerated the chumocracy!

In any case I think it’s just too easy to say PM can’t do right whatever.

Jaxjacky Mon 30-Nov-20 18:40:39

Yes, lockdown is working, the numbers are reducing, but it would have been faster with stricter rules, heftier enforced fines and curfews, as Australia did, we’re too soft.
Flakesdayout it’s not confusing, three families are an exclusive bubble for the 5 days, that’s it.
I’m fed up with people trying to excuse not sticking to what we’ve been told, not you specifically Flake, we’ve all seen it and read it on here. I’m not a paragon of virtue, but I’ve read throughly at each stage the advice and acted accordingly..ok, I’ve finished now.

Daisymae Mon 30-Nov-20 18:47:07

Carrieanne - are you saying that the children will not be any closer to you than 2 metres for the whole of the visit? I hope you have an enjoyable day, but the risks are just not justifiable for many.

Blinko Mon 30-Nov-20 19:41:11

They have made mistakes along the line but so has virtually every other country.

True. Yet the UK still has the highest death rate in Europe and also the worst performing economy. On that basis, it does seem that our Government has made a bigger pigs ear of the whole situation than anywhere else in Europe.

Daftbag1 Mon 30-Nov-20 20:20:58

Yup that's the plan!

I will no doubt be hauled over the coals now, but I would say, if you love and care about your family, you will ignore the free for all, and keep everyone safe by NOT meeting your loved ones how ever hard it is and have a really safe get together when either this virus has passed or you and everyone else have been vaccinated.

MaizieD Mon 30-Nov-20 20:28:31

Of course you won't be hauled over the coals, Daftbag1. I think that there are more people on here that agree with you than there are those who might disagree.

MayBee70 Mon 30-Nov-20 21:10:52

Spot on Daftbag. We won’t be meeting up with any of our family and haven’t done so for 10 months now. Christmas will be me, DH and the dog. I’m not even putting decorations up. May do that at Easter when, hopefully we can have a great get together. Having said that I think everyone should decorate the outside of their homes as much as possible to make everything look magical for children: but I don’t have any and don’t want to go shopping.

Joesoap Mon 30-Nov-20 21:41:28

I am glad I dont live in the UK at the moment, as it all seems so confusing, however living in Sweden isnt much better, we have a rule of eight,and I am not convinced people will adhere to it. At last people are wakening up to wearing face masks,it isnt compulsory but I have seen some people wearing them, which to me is progress,I will say no more until the New Year when the statistics come along.We can all hope wherever we are that things dont get any worse,and hope and pray the vaccine isnt delayed any longer.

Ellianne Mon 30-Nov-20 22:03:15

As we're talking about Christmas, in Germany the number allowed is 10. Children don't count in that, so there could potentially be another 10 or so. It seems to me that our 3 household bubble is being far more cautious.