Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

New colleague won’t adhere to workplace policies

(91 Posts)
Mamma66 Mon 30-Nov-20 13:09:56

I work for a charity which has worked all the way through both Lockdowns. The precautions in place are well thought through and I feel fairly confident about the measures in place. We have had two new starters; one fitted in straight away, the other not so much. It has become increasingly apparent that the second new starter is ignoring the Covid precautions relating to using the WC at work.

We have a staff toilet and the protocol is that after you have used the bathroom you wipe down all the surfaces you have touched with antibacterial wipes and wash your hands. I don’t think she washes her hands, but I know for certain that she doesn’t wipe down the surfaces. I am not the only person to notice this and a colleague put up a sign in the loo just in case the information hadn’t filtered through. She is a nice enough person, but I really don’t appreciate the fact that she is putting us all at risk. What do I do? Raise it with our CEO?

Fecklar Tue 01-Dec-20 14:27:08

Remember one has to work with this lady long term and unless one doesn’t want an unpleasant atmosphere long term one needs to be very careful as it could be misconstrued as workplace bullying and she would be quite justified in putting in a grievance on this basis of ganging up. Just take responsibility for ones own hygiene and let others take care of theirs. In my job I cannot control what others do with their grubby little paws I just take care of my own.

NanaPlenty Tue 01-Dec-20 14:20:24

If someone annoys you it’s easy to get into this mindset of constantly watching what they are doing and waiting for them to trip up. If you feel you need to say something say it to her not someone else- remember once it’s said you can’t take it back. This pandemic is making everyone fed up and edgy - we need to try and be kind and tread gently.

Mamma66 Tue 01-Dec-20 14:08:58

For those of you who asked how I knew she wasn’t washing her hands or wiping the surfaces down. Our WC is on the main corridor. The bin is foot operated and noisily bangs shut, typically people wipe surfaces down and dispose of the wipe and then wash the hands and dispose of the paper towels. This results in two noisy bangs.

PollyDolly Tue 01-Dec-20 14:06:06

The same could be said about any other loo couldn't it? We use a loo not knowing who used it last, what they touched or whether they washed their hands!
Seems very petty to consider reporting this person to the CEO, get a grip and concentrate on your own personal hygiene habits. If you wash your hands after using the loo then what is the problem here?

endre123 Tue 01-Dec-20 14:05:42

ReadyMeals

MaggieTulliver

Beyond petty OP. I work in a GP practice and there is no wiping down of surfaces nor has it ever been mentioned. I despair at what Covid is doing to people....

omg.... Seems I was right to decide not to see my GP until the pandemic is over. And doctors wonder why patients are putting off consulting them?

I thought the same! This really shocked me knowing that many businesses are going to be lost because they didn't clean properly. Ppl became infected in hospitality places, relaxing too much after firebreaks. Remember, many are carriers, not showing symptoms.

Caro57 Tue 01-Dec-20 13:57:11

Even not washing her hands after using the loo - pandemic or not - is dire. Report to line manager.
My 4 year old DGD knows about hand washing - it’s common sense

Mollygo Tue 01-Dec-20 13:53:31

So always offer to give her a squirt of your sanitiser and always wipe things before you use them - toilet handles, taps, door handles, equipment etc, whether she’s touched them or not. It may cost you more but it’ll give you peace of mind.
Like MagicWand I wipe gym equipment down before I use it. Re the sink outside; unless it’s an elbow tap or automatic, you touch it when you use it so you might just as well wipe it down anyway.

Teddy123 Tue 01-Dec-20 13:51:01

I was writing before sering your explanation.
I accept your concerns, so best for you to wipe down on entering the loo area. I would anyway cos I'm a clean freak.
Just be nice.... None of us know what's happening in someone else's life....

Teddy123 Tue 01-Dec-20 13:46:33

Hardly charitable to discuss a new colleagues actions with other members of staff.
Or to grudgingly describe her as 'nice enough'. I bet she loves you.
Stop gossiping with others and if you're genuinely concerned, have a word with her manager. I've tried to work out how you know so much about her toilet habits.

I have a good idea. Try being nice to her.....

Mamma66 Tue 01-Dec-20 13:39:25

I know that my colleague has not been wiping down surfaces as yesterday she and I were the only ones in the office and I deliberately left the hand wipes in a certain position to confirm what I suspected. Another colleague raised it initially. As two of our small team have heart issues (mine caused almost certainly by Coronavirus) I am a bit cautious. Obviously I am probably immune now, but it’s not all about me. Another colleague put up a pleasant reminder notice in the WC just in case she had missed the message. Protocols had been discussed in a staff meeting at which she was present. Whether I like her or not is neither here nor there, I just think that everyone else adheres to the rules and not her. Our WC is on the corridor so you can hear everything (unfortunately) it is apparent she neither washes her hands or wipes down the surfaces.

cutteriss Tue 01-Dec-20 13:38:13

Do this person have extra needs is she aware that's what she needs to do some people could just need a gentle reminder or even a little help

Casdon Tue 01-Dec-20 13:06:44

I’m usually quite measured, but this post has been hijacked to the extent that I can’t let it go. There are some posters on here who are way out of line. I can’t believe people can post such irresponsible rubbish about GP practices not following basic infection control requirements - and other people endorsing that being okay.

There is a myriad of infection control guidance, and yes of course the wipes used in the NHS kill viruses. If anybody sees that rules are not being followed in their practice they have a moral responsibility to report it to avoid other people and their own lives being put at risk.

Apart from any other consideration, it’s completely insensitive to those people who are vulnerable and need to visit their GP practice, when your posts are inaccurate to such a degree, why cause additional anguish?

MagicWand Tue 01-Dec-20 13:03:39

I have always felt where hygiene was concerned, that my safety was primarily my own responsibilty as many other previous posters have said.
Would you really trust the person using gym equipment, etc. to have wiped down the equipment properly before you use it? I certainly wouldn't and would always wipe things down before I use them myself. I have checked and wiped toilet seats before I use them for years, public and private! It's only common sense.

I also feel the sink outside the toilet would be a good if expensive idea. It would certainly make the OP's life easier when she's checking on the hygiene habits of all her co-workers, as I assume it's not just the poor newbie, who hasn't fitted in quite as well, who is under her scrutiny . . . ?

Doodledog Tue 01-Dec-20 12:40:36

Of course everyone should wash their hands every time they use the loo (and it always surprises me that some people don't), but as far as Covid is concerned, it doesn't matter whether someone has used the loo or the kettle - it is general cleanliness that matters, as well as wearing masks or ventilating communal areas.

Cleopanda I also think that if you are reduced to tears because of what someone else's colleague may or may not have done in their workplace, you might be better off having an Internet break for a while. We can't all moderate our responses to a general point in case it distresses someone who is clearly very sensitive, yet it is not nice to feel that we may have done so. I am neither complacent nor derisive - I just feel that the current climate, in which some people feel the need/desire to report others for transgressions which are unproven and sometimes imagined, is deeply unpleasant and dangerous.

Farawaynanny Tue 01-Dec-20 12:39:43

I envy those who are permitted to sit in their GP waiting room. We have to stand outside in all weathers! When I asked why, I was told “it’s because of the carpeted floor”.

On the issue of cleaning, as far as I’m concerned we are each responsible for our own safety.

Marydoll Tue 01-Dec-20 12:26:57

This is a quote from the RCGP website.
In the surgery:
Hygiene is key
Everyone needs to wash their hands on entering the building, between patients and before examinations. Desks need to be cleared of clutter and cleaned. Use disposable ear pieces and thermometer covers. Taking measures on hygiene is probably the most important message.

My GP surgery has excellent hygiene protocols in place, but as a shielder, I'm still not allowed to attend in person.
Maggie Tulliver, I'm glad I'm not a patient in your GP surgery. What a shocking attitude or are you just trying to wind posters up? ?

Kim19 Tue 01-Dec-20 12:18:12

LP, very informative, thank you. It has always been my practice to wipe down my kitchen surfaces with a damp clean cloth immediately after use. Am I wasting my time and money with these extra injections of going over with dettol wipes every hour or so?

JdotJ Tue 01-Dec-20 12:15:43

MaggieTulliver

Beyond petty OP. I work in a GP practice and there is no wiping down of surfaces nor has it ever been mentioned. I despair at what Covid is doing to people....

Well said

Lupin Tue 01-Dec-20 11:50:20

Do you have team meetings? Have one soon and bring it up. I used to manage people and, personally, I would have a discreet word with someone not complying.

LinkyPinky Tue 01-Dec-20 11:48:22

Covid is a VIRUS. Antibacterial wipes will not kill it. It is transmitted mainly through aerosolised particles which can swirl around for hours, especially indoors, after an infected person has breather, laughed, sung, coughed, sneezed or talked. You should ensure that your workspace, including the loo, is really well ventilated. Consider acquiring an oxygen monitor. By all means wipe surfaces and definitely wash hands but your best protection indoors is ventilation.

Kim19 Tue 01-Dec-20 11:24:31

Don't snipe but do look after yourself. I'm told, on reliable authority, that handwashing is miles more effective than wipes or gel but these two are better than nothing. Some people seem to expect wipes to be available in public places. Why? Carry your own and apply them before and after usage. This will result in peace of mind for you without concerning yourself with others misdemeanours.

Maremia Tue 01-Dec-20 11:22:09

CleoPanda flowers

Beloulou Tue 01-Dec-20 11:14:45

I also work in a GP surgery. Each room is washed down (including exam beds and chairs) between each patient. Toilets are cleaned at least every hour. Infection control is extremely important

Aepgirl Tue 01-Dec-20 11:13:52

There is surely someone in charge - a supervisor - who should speak to this person. What she is doing is selfish and unpleasant. Why should she get away with this antisocial behaviour.

Callistemon Tue 01-Dec-20 11:09:44

Sorry for typos.

GP surgeries