Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Vaccinations from next week

(528 Posts)
Alegrias2 Wed 02-Dec-20 08:32:08

If you're thinking of coming on this thread to say "it's not over yet", don't bother. This is good news and this is the beginning of the end.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55145696

EllanVannin Wed 02-Dec-20 09:44:25

I was vaccinated twice when we had the Asian 'flu here because I was working at the hospital at the time, but I was only 17, so wouldn't, and wasn't affected even though I did catch it in the meantime.

Esspee Wed 02-Dec-20 09:52:29

As I said on a previous thread I won’t be joining the queue. While I am most certainly not anti vax, having had all the usual ones plus extra ones for the tropics, I am not prepared to take anything which to my mind has not been adequately tested.
I dare say I will be forced to comply eventually if I wish to visit my family but for now no thank you.

Liz46 Wed 02-Dec-20 09:53:59

Our flu jabs were done in the local civic centre. We went in one way, there was a clerk on the door to a large room who admitted us one at a time. We went behind a curtain, where there was one nurse, had the jab and she let us out of a different door. It felt very safe.

pen50 Wed 02-Dec-20 09:54:22

Hoorah!! Hoorah!! Can't wait for my call!

JenniferEccles Wed 02-Dec-20 09:55:37

It made me so happy when I heard this news earlier.
I know there was almost zero chance of it not being approved but still .....

Not only that but we are the first country in the world to approve it ??!!

Next year, probably from late spring onwards will be so different. We can cautiously make plans.

claresc0tt Wed 02-Dec-20 09:56:52

I'm ready for the vaccine yay!

Pippet Wed 02-Dec-20 09:57:22

Fantastic news. A new horizon dawns. Think of the lives this will save x

Quizzer Wed 02-Dec-20 10:00:21

So much misinformation out there and scaremongering. The vaccination is not a drug. It may have slight side effects, but none as dangerous as the effects of Covid.

claresc0tt Wed 02-Dec-20 10:01:10

Just because you've had bad side effects from other meds doesn't mean you shouldn't have this vaccine as soon as it's offered. This is different. If you're in your 80s and get a bad side affect our died at least scientists may review it and then younger people may live

Chris0 Wed 02-Dec-20 10:01:12

I too will be ready and waiting to be called for this vaccine.

NotSpaghetti Wed 02-Dec-20 10:03:00

Alegrias2

If you're thinking of coming on this thread to say "it's not over yet", don't bother. This is good news and this is the beginning of the end.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55145696

Rather passive-aggressive Alegrias2

Can't help but find the tone of your post a little rude, to be honest.

inishowen Wed 02-Dec-20 10:03:48

It really irks me when people say they'll wait for others to have the vaccine before they will. In other words let others take the risk.

Alegrias2 Wed 02-Dec-20 10:04:27

Don't care NotSpaghetti

Today is a happy day grin

bear1 Wed 02-Dec-20 10:04:32

i am still a bit nervous about having the vaccine as i have copd although only mild still concerned about will it cause me problems so awaiting my GP call to have and will discuss with her

Tiggersuki Wed 02-Dec-20 10:05:10

My son works in scientific research ( for cancer not Covid) and through his job has had contacts with many research facilities in the country and assures us how incredibly well researched and safe the vaccines will be. I personally think the only people who maybe should think twice about getting a vaccine are those who are pregnant , but by the time the vaccine is available to that age group they won't be pregnant anymore.
Yes you may feel you need to weigh up the odds of getting Covid and how ill you might get. There is the unpredictability now of long Covid too and I personally think all of us should feel obliged to be vaccinated for our own good and the good of others, otherwise you are just relying on others to do it for you instead of taking personal responsibility.
I would like to see by the end of next year the unvaccinated be precluded from doing things like going to sports and theatre events as the virus will still be about as the flu is every year.

Mollygo Wed 02-Dec-20 10:05:14

I’ll be there!

dragonfly46 Wed 02-Dec-20 10:06:39

GrannyGravy grin

I will be first in line when they offer it to me!!

Vickysponge Wed 02-Dec-20 10:08:36

MrsThreadgoode

I hope they tell us we need to prove that we’ve had the vaccination before we can go travelling, I’ve spoken to several people who will refuse it , they give false names and addresses in cafes, refuse to wear masks and think it’s all a Government plot to keep us in our place.

Idiots, definitely off my Christmas card list.

Wow. I’ve met a few people like that. It really does begger belief. We will be first in the queue for it as soon as we are notified. Brilliant work from these Scientists.

SaraC Wed 02-Dec-20 10:09:25

I am so pleased for all of you in the UK. I realise there will be many logistical issues to deal with, but I so hope it’s a little bit of light at the end of a very long, dark tunnel for you. You really have had a rough year of it and anxiety levels have been running so high. Lots of other issues still to be dealt with too of course, but it would be wonderful if COVID19 was no longer one of them.

henetha Wed 02-Dec-20 10:11:51

I'm over 80 so will get it fairly soon after the first lot, I imagine.
I definitely will have it, if offered, even though I am a little wary. It's surely better than catching Covid, I think.

Abuelana Wed 02-Dec-20 10:12:28

And how wonderful it would be if all politicians and their families lined up and had it first. Would give the general population such confidence - don’t you think. I’m neither for or against it. I should be a personal choice.

Soozikinzi Wed 02-Dec-20 10:12:38

Yay great news ! I’ll be there after the front line workers of course! Our flu vaccination was very well organised with 5 minute slots and a gazebo to wait under outside. We just went in for the actual injection.,

Elegran Wed 02-Dec-20 10:13:25

25Avalon Why don't you want to go to a mass vaccination centre? If you have a picture of a mass of people beseiging harassed nurses who are frantically stabbing away without changing the needle or washing their hands in between patients, you are are miles out.

I got my flu jab at one, in a large car park. You attend on an appointed day for your surgery, at an hour depending on your initial. Cars are let through well spaced out and drive slowly with the window down past the gazebos where they are ready for you.

First someone who tells you the routine, then someone with a clipboard who writes down your details and then on to the person with the vaccine, who does the deed with a new vial in the hypodermic and waves you on while he/she sterilises their hands for the next.

No sitting in a waiting-room with others while you wait your turn, and no need to find a parking space or get out of the car. All very organised. You don't get a chance to chat to the practice nurse as you would in the surgery - but hey, this is being rolled out for millions of people - we ARE the masses, that is why they are setting up mass centres.

Topcat7 Wed 02-Dec-20 10:15:08

It is fabulous news and means I will be able to visit my mother in her care home once she has had the vaccine. I will be further down the list being 64 and slightly asthmatic but as soon as I can I will get the vaccine I am not one of the idiots who thinks everything is a conspiracy and not real.

Ellianne Wed 02-Dec-20 10:15:16

Great news! Good luck everyone having this soon, genuinely.
I'm quite a way down the list but will be there when they call.
Think how the NHS can pick itself up again and hopefully be made better than ever.