Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Vaccinations from next week

(528 Posts)
Alegrias2 Wed 02-Dec-20 08:32:08

If you're thinking of coming on this thread to say "it's not over yet", don't bother. This is good news and this is the beginning of the end.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55145696

Casdon Mon 28-Dec-20 17:52:06

That’s the reference growstuff, it says that the participants since August have included those over 70, I’m not aware that they have published the results yet, but surmising that when they announce the rollout of the vaccination, that data will be part of the announcement because it will determine which regime for dosing they are going to follow. My understanding from what I’ve read is that 18% of the original trial participants were also over 55, and showed a similar immune response to younger participants.

growstuff Mon 28-Dec-20 20:09:02

Hmm! AstraZeneca haven't been 100% transparent with their announcements. I think that's a shame because it fuels the suspicions of anti-vaxxers. My understanding is that the vaccine (not sure what dose) has been trialled on a handful of older people (in one group, but not another) and has been shown to be safe. However, trials on efficacy (ie whether it works) have not been finalised. There has been some confusion about the level of efficacy in various groups. Hopefully, it will all become clear. It would be great if it prevents transmission, which will be the real key to "herd immunity", but that hasn't been established yet either.