Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid twice?

(12 Posts)
GagaJo Fri 25-Dec-20 23:43:18

My SiL had covid in March, catching it from my brother who had it just as we went into lockdown. SiL is a carer and now has weekly tests.

She has just been notified that she has tested positive. No symptoms.

V3ra Fri 25-Dec-20 23:55:46

Ouch. All I can say is I sincerely hope she isn't too poorly with it this time ☹️
Will she be getting the vaccination soon as a priority group?

Shinamae Sat 26-Dec-20 00:10:11

I too am a carer and had Covid late March with no symptoms. We now get tested once a week at the moment but I believe from next week it’s going to be three times a week .....

Jane10 Sat 26-Dec-20 08:03:24

False positives are being reported?

Hetty58 Sat 26-Dec-20 08:05:27

The tests have never been very accurate or reliable. Why do people put so much faith in them?

Washerwoman Sat 26-Dec-20 08:33:39

I know someone who was ill for weeks earlier in the year and had a positive Covid test.She was then asked to take part in a trial where every fortnight she gives a blood sample.There were no antibodies and then all of sudden she developed them shortly after a couple of days of feeling very slightly ill with a headache and fatigue.She didn't get another Covid test thinking it was just related to another condition she has.But now she has tested strongly for antibodies and has been told she's almost certainly had Covid a second time.

GagaJo Sat 26-Dec-20 08:41:10

Weird. No SiL is still well. More importantly, my mother, who she has been in contact with daily (85) is now hoping she is OK. A week so far and no symptoms for either of them.

mokryna Sat 26-Dec-20 08:45:41

Yes, my DD, a NHS worker, who was ill at the beginning of April with all the symptoms but no tests available, was told to go home at the beginning of this week, after having tested positive. She is not so ill as in April, no fever, cough or terrible throat, just tired.

Daisymae Sat 26-Dec-20 09:32:36

I belong to a group where someone has tested positive twice. It does make you question how long immunity may last. Possibly the vaccine will give a longer lasting immune response though?

GagaJo Sat 26-Dec-20 09:38:47

Yes, I guess if once you've had it (or the vaccine) and get it again but very mildly, it is ok. As long as everyone else is vaccinated too.

Nanniejude Sun 27-Dec-20 07:07:02

Surely that’s how antibodies work. You can become exposed again but your antibodies recognise the virus and fight it off. The same with the vaccine.

GagaJo Sun 27-Dec-20 08:10:00

Maybe Nanniejude. I just assumed once you'd had it, been vaccinated you couldn't get it.

Really hope SiL hasn't passed it on to mum!