Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Coronavirus Christmas - oops I may have seriously upset SiL!

(156 Posts)
Daftbag1 Mon 28-Dec-20 17:27:27

Xmas eve DH's, DS turned up with Xmas gifts (and that's another story), she's single, late sixties but still working and because we live close, we are her bubble. Anyway, she was due on 25th for lunch so I was a little surprised to see her but tum te tum, she's a bit like that.

Anyway, I made her a cuppa and we sat down for a chat, during which she informed me that before coming to us, she was going to see her neighbours on either side, then one daughter for a mince pie, before going to the other daughter's for present exchanging. I thought she was planning to doorstep them all but as she spoke, it became clearer that she was actually going in to all these places.
I expressed my surprise and concern, as we are a Tier 4 area, and in addition we are meant to be her bubble. At this she laughed saying 'im a poor vulnerable old lady and entitled to my bubble's'! I explained that she could only have one bubble, and that she needed to make a choice. I also pointed out that she would not be able to get to all these places and be back for lunch. 'Oh but you will wait for me'!
I'm afraid at that point, I decided enough was enough, and politely told her that I was withdrawing her invitation for Xmas lunch and that I wasn't prepared to risk having her round and placing us at risk. I also suggested that she might want to take a minute to read the rules.
Sadly, I suspect that she is not alone in continuing to live without any concern about who she is placing at risk. She is an intelligent woman, and yet she behaves in this way. The worst of it all, is that I'm now feeling guilty!

Urmstongran Tue 29-Dec-20 18:13:14

Dr Andrew Lansdown, a consultant endocrinologist at the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff, was speaking on BBC Radio Five Live Breakfast on Monday, the day after Cardiff and Vale Health Board made an urgent appeal for help in intensive care.

Actions have consequences.

ForeverAutumn Tue 29-Dec-20 19:20:14

You did the right thing. Her behaviour is reckless. My husband was admitted to Hospital on 6th December with fluid around his heart and a lung infection. He has hardly been anywhere since October as he has an Achilles tendon injury, was told to rest it and we are generally cautious. On admittance he was tested Negative for Covid, his repeat tests were Negative. On the day that he was to be discharged a week later , after successful treatment, we were told that he couldn't come home because there was an outbreak of Covid in the Hospital. At the test 2 days later he was positive. It has been a complete nightmare since then, he has worsening symptoms and yesterday he developed Covid Pneumonia, and is on oxygen constantly. I have been in tears on and off for a few days now, all the while trying to impart positivity to family and friends. We had not been in anyone else's hone - whether friends or family, we are both retired and have generally been very careful with our health. All this and my husband catches this disease in the place that most people consider 'safe', although I suppose Hospitals are where the sick people are. He wasn't home for Christmas, and he will now have a long recovery.

Urmstongran Tue 29-Dec-20 19:25:51

Oh ForeverAutumn that’s heartbreaking for you. x
I hope your husband gets better on his treatment. What a worry for you and it seems so unfair after you’ve both been so careful too.

Aepgirl Tue 29-Dec-20 20:07:41

Your response was exactly right, DaftBag. It’s the only way to beat this virus (until we’re all vaccinated).

silverdragon Tue 29-Dec-20 20:23:13

ForeverAutumn - so sorry to hear that.

growstuff Tue 29-Dec-20 21:22:42

Well said Jojo60, Hithere and Callistemon!

Daftbag You did absolutely the right thing. You should be proud of yourself for standing up to her.

growstuff Tue 29-Dec-20 21:24:25

ForeverAutumn Sorry to read your news.

growstuff Tue 29-Dec-20 21:27:17

montymops Sumption believes in the "survival of the fittest". If you're over 60, disabled or have health conditions, you'd be expendable.

If anybody does seek him out, be aware what he's about.

hugshelp Tue 29-Dec-20 21:28:06

Taliya

I think that's quite cruel of ypou. People living alone have really suffered during this Pandemic and being sociable and having social contact is more important in my book but that's just my opinion because I disagree with a lot of what this government has done .

She wasn't going to be alone though she just refused to limit herself to one bubble - entirely her own fault.

you did nothing wrong at all OP

hugshelp Tue 29-Dec-20 21:30:01

I am sorry you and your husband are going through that ForeverAutumn and I do hope he turns the corner.

Lucca Tue 29-Dec-20 21:36:46

GrannyRose15

You may have done the right thing Daftbag1 as most people on here seem to agree with you. But don't expect your SIL to forgive you for withdrawing a Christmas Day invitation on Christmas Eve. I certainly wouldn't. I'm with Taliya.

I don’t think I’d be bothered about being “forgiven”.

Lucca Tue 29-Dec-20 21:38:18

Good to see GNHQ deleting posts which spread fake news,

growstuff Tue 29-Dec-20 21:55:30

Lucca

Good to see GNHQ deleting posts which spread fake news,

I noticed that too. Well done GNHQ!

Callistemon Tue 29-Dec-20 22:35:10

Cossy

Callistemon

I see where you're coming from now, NannyC2

What one person believes to be the truth could, of course, be scientifically dismantled by others who do not believe it.

I’m not entirely sure where either of you are coming from, but it’s a place I think I should avoid !

Well said everyone else, I completely agree x

I would like to challenge you on that statement Cossy:
I’m not entirely sure where either of you are coming from, but it’s a place I think I should avoid !

If you are another COVID denier then please state so clearly and, probably, GNHQ delete your post too.

I prefer to listen to the known facts, statistics and science.

If you know better please enlighten us as to the place your theories emerge.

angry

Callistemon Tue 29-Dec-20 22:37:14

Well said everyone else, I completely agree

As I agreed with everyone else except one? dissenter on this thread, I would like to know what you mean by that too.

billericaylady Tue 29-Dec-20 23:45:53

You did the right thing,I suspect the others werent brave enough ti say it....well done.

joysutty Wed 30-Dec-20 09:39:19

You did the right th ing. An old friend of mine who lives in a different area told me when it gets dark she goes to her various friends houses for meals with her partner. An intelligent woman in her 60's. Also couldn't believe my ears.

Callistemon Wed 30-Dec-20 10:11:38

The virus doesn't come out after dark, joysutty.

Actually, I must be careful not to use irony or be subtle in my posts as, apparently, I can be misunderstood even though I stated unequivocally earlier in the thread that

1 Daftbag did absolutely the right thing
2 Her sister-in-law is wrong and irresponsible

3 NannyC2 was spreading fake and possibly dangerous conspiracy theories and
4 when I said I see where you're coming from now, NannyC2 I meant that such as: "The Illumination of Conscience will soon arrive for ALL on earth sounds like it is LalaLand.

I hope I have made myself clear

GoldenAge Wed 30-Dec-20 12:57:07

Daftbag1 - you behaved impeccably.

Taliya - your behaviour is reprehensible - why oh why do think that rules don't apply?

As bereavement counsellor and psychotherapist in a hospice I know more than most how mental health can be affected by isolation, but I also know how people's complete lives can be taken away from them by ignoring rules around infection control.

The idea that you should make Daftbag1 feel guilty for trying to protect herself - and others, is outrageous.

Cynnybobbooboo66 Wed 30-Dec-20 16:57:02

You did the right thing. Some people still don't seem to understand the rules and if they do they choose to ignore them. This virus will never go away when people behave in this manner

Lucca Wed 30-Dec-20 17:00:34

Callistemon

The virus doesn't come out after dark, joysutty.

Actually, I must be careful not to use irony or be subtle in my posts as, apparently, I can be misunderstood even though I stated unequivocally earlier in the thread that

1 Daftbag did absolutely the right thing
2 Her sister-in-law is wrong and irresponsible

3 NannyC2 was spreading fake and possibly dangerous conspiracy theories and
4 when I said I see where you're coming from now, NannyC2 I meant that such as: "The Illumination of Conscience will soon arrive for ALL on earth sounds like it is LalaLand.

I hope I have made myself clear

Crystal!

LovelyLady Wed 30-Dec-20 17:13:16

You are not guilty.
This is how the virus is spreading and you were protecting your home.
I do wish soap operas, adverts and public information broadcasts would broadcast examples of this. The selfish need to be identified.
A couple of examples of unsafe behaviour on Eastenders, Coronation St and Emmerdale would educate these idiots and encourage others to keep safe.
Just because they are known to us doesn’t guarantee they are sensible.
We need the idiots to be identified particularly those in the streets who refuse to wear masks.
No masks = stay at home.
Wear masks correctly.
Shame those not complying.

Washerwoman Wed 30-Dec-20 17:43:30

You absolutely did the right thing.And I despair when I hear about the way so many' misinterpret 'the guidelines to suit their agenda.Friends of ours went down to collect their adult DD from London to a lower tier because' it wasn't fair 'she couldn't join them for Xmas- and said they have had enough of being told what to do. .She has a nice flat,partner for company and plenty of money coming in for nice food,treats etc.It is one Xmas.Our DD was bitterly disappointed not to come home but accepted it was for the greater good.I will find it hard to be civil for to them for some time tbh.This is why were in this extended mess.
ForeverAutumn.So sorry to hear what a dreadful time you're going through.

Callistemon Wed 30-Dec-20 17:51:54

Crystal!

Thank goodness, thanks Lucca!

MaggieMay69 Fri 01-Jan-21 00:00:06

I've been alone all Christmas, I know it upset my daughter, it made me cry, and I missed the GC dreadfully, however, its necessary, its needed, this virus doesn't show ANY symptoms in some people, so when people say 'I dont have it! Its fine!' they haven't got a bloody clue if they do or not!

To the lady who sad it was cruel, sadly, its people just like you that are making this pandemic worse. Its not cruel to deny someone round who could spread a disease for goodness sake, its sensible!!!