Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

What does Johnson mean by "safe"?

(133 Posts)
ReadyMeals Sun 03-Jan-21 11:24:30

He says "Schools are safe". What does he mean? You can't catch covid in a school? That has to be nonsense. So what is the definition of "safe" then when he says it? Less than 50% probability? Less than 10%? Just a bit safer than being in a hospital? Than attending an illegal rave? It's a meaningless word. Even isolating in our own homes isn't 100% safe, as it's still slightly possible to pick it up from something that is delivered.

GagaJo Sun 03-Jan-21 13:14:19

It isn't just about children though, is it, the opening of the schools? The UK is at peak pandemic/2nd wave right now. The virus is raging. If schools open, the R rate will soar.

The R rate given on Gov.uk was 1.1 to 1.6, BUT dates 23rd Dec. Obviously, after the Christmas and New Year mixing it is much higher now.

I agree, it is awful for children. It is much worse for school staff. But it could also drive the country to breaking point. The NHS isn't coping now. Imagine what will happen if things get even worse. I fear for my family's lives.

Harris27 Sun 03-Jan-21 13:17:19

Well I’ve been back since July teaching 3/4 year olds. Sanitising keeping everything as clean as possible. Still ok and nearing 61 years. I think it’s about the sanitising and nit mixing too many groups together I’m going back to work tomorrow fingers crossed.

NotSpaghetti Sun 03-Jan-21 15:03:13

I had a headteacher I know a little converse with me (at a distance!) quite openly about how little they can control in a school. They have done all they can but have had so many staff off sick and whole groups of children.

According to him, it is not safe. He says some teachers with vulnerable family have been living in caravans etc so as not to take the virus home.

This was before Christmas and the "new" version of Covid-19.

Yes, it is anecdotal but he is not going into the same room as his elderly mother even though she was supposed to be in his bubble. He is going to the door/window only.

Kate1949 Sun 03-Jan-21 15:56:11

Our daughter works in a senior school. She loves her job but is dreading going back tomorrow. She and her colleagues have gone above and beyond for the pupils and school.
DD us severely asthmatic and she and our son-in-law tested positive for Covid in November, thankfully with few symptoms. The assumption is that she's now immune but is she?
The staff have been told that they will be expected to take part in Covid testing of pupils with assistance from the Army. The 'sssistancea

Kate1949 Sun 03-Jan-21 15:59:12

Sorry posted too soon. Not sure what assistance means.

Baggs Sun 03-Jan-21 16:02:32

What does Johnson mean by "safe"?

Whinge mode warning ❗️

I don't actually care what he means. I just wish people'd stop telling one to stay safe as if that isn't pretty much what one does every day, random buggerations like tripping over kerbs and breaking one's shoulder (last Feb; don't worry; it's fine) notwithstanding.

It's good to spit a moan out now and then ??

NotSpaghetti Mon 04-Jan-21 01:26:52

Kate1949 - the army is providing webinars apparently.

Madgran77 Mon 04-Jan-21 07:16:35

Johnson says "safe" because it fits the "policy" of the moment! That is all it means!

Hetty58 Mon 04-Jan-21 07:30:39

I've always wondered what 'Covid safe' is supposed to mean. No amount of cleaning will compensate for the lack of fresh air and ventilation in schools.

My granddaughters (primary age) have had several coughs and colds (and two Covid tests each) - the usual winter bugs. How come they've managed to catch these viruses?

lemongrove, you say:

'Early years are not the spreaders of Covid that older years are'

How do we know that? Don't trust 'the science'!

The trouble is, these children have, and mix with, older siblings, parents and teachers - all exposed to any risk they carry.

Of course, being symptom-free means that they just aren't tested as much!

Lucca Mon 04-Jan-21 07:49:35

This thing about supermarkets being more “dangerous” than schools, I’m not sure I’m convinced. In a supermarket you are not in a relatively small space very close to about 28/30 others for an hour or more at a time. In secondary you then maybe repeat that with many other groups.it is really difficult to know what to do but in my opinion some honesty would be/have been more acceptable. Like not saying schools are safe.
Maybe mr Williamson could spend a day in a school? Then he might understand what the problems are in say a large state school.

Lucca Mon 04-Jan-21 07:52:52

Another thing.....why on earth don’t they cancel GCSE and A levels here ? You might say some kids would not work hard etc, but to be honest those students probably wouldn’t have anyway. Let teachers give assessed grades - most of them really do know what they are doing and if some are marginally inflated does it really matter?? In the grand scheme of things ?

NannyJan53 Mon 04-Jan-21 08:01:50

Whatever Johnson says about anything, I would take the opposite view.

My DD is a Deputy Head in a Primary school, and she says it is near impossible to make a classroom safe. I am really worried about her.

Hetty58 Mon 04-Jan-21 08:06:14

Lucca, I think it would make perfect sense to use teacher assessments. Things have gone too haywire to expect exams to take place.

Nezumi65 Mon 04-Jan-21 10:18:43

Johnson doesn’t mean 90% of what he says

spabbygirl Mon 04-Jan-21 10:20:39

boris likes telling fairy stories, if this gov't had done what experts advised when they advised our death toll would be much reduced. I can only surmise that they don't mind loosing older folk

Aepgirl Mon 04-Jan-21 10:25:08

Who can be sure of anything at the moment? What I do know is that during lockdown when schools were closed, there were more young people wandering around the streets and parks, meeting up together, not socially distancing. Perhaps they can be better controlled in school than at home.

Even the children of teachers who are my neighbours were having sleepovers and playing with each other.

Tanjamaltija Mon 04-Jan-21 10:26:49

You can catch a cold, you can catch nits, you can catch... other things... so how come you can't Catch Covid-19. Would Johnson agree to spend a day in a classroom?

Barmeyoldbat Mon 04-Jan-21 10:27:25

Scools this week and then University students returning, will helmet these go back? You just can't believe anything he says, schools should stay home; you can always catch up on your education.

polnan Mon 04-Jan-21 10:31:37

o.k may sound provocative now..

but this is "ageism" EVERYONE is suffering, everyone, regardless of age, health, etc. you name it.

lockup, should mean lockup... I know , generalising, children have lives to live! huh! EVERYONE has a life to live,
most people live long(ish) lives, but some don`t

should we really count the amount of years a person POTENTIALLY have to live as any criteria with this virus?

we know people spread bugs,,, contact... oh gosh... I just can`t see how we should say any "group" of humans should be treated differently..

NOW

I fail to understand why we are not looking forward..

Life has changed, it will change more... face it... it is time , well the Government, Parliament, all of them, paid to govern, started to do something positive for the future,,

technology, wasn`t it Maggie Thatcher who told us what marvellous lives we would all be leading with this technology, less paper "Huh! " that`s a laugh,,

less work.. well, we have to do something..

so, education, we should be using the technology that we have to educate, and keep EVERYONE as safe as we possibly can..
go on, have a go at me!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Jan-21 10:33:29

Today in schools that have returned, covid is spreading amongst the people in the school and this afternoon covid will be released into the community, by the pupils and staff.

Johnson is directly responsible for this. If he had manned up and showed leadership by having a clear plan regarding lockdown etc, the country would understand and trust his judgement.

Instead we have an absolute nightmare scenario, where schools are in a total mess and teachers in the most awful situation they could imagine.

jaylucy Mon 04-Jan-21 10:36:16

I have a sister that is a teaching assistant and a niece that is a Primary School teacher. Both have gone back to work today . Both are extremely worried about working in close contact with children since the new version of the virus has raised it's ugly head. My niece has already isolated for 2 weeks at the end of November/ beginning of December due to being in contact with a positive tested person .
Several schools in my area have not opened today even though they are primary schools.
The education dept needs to get their heads together and work out either new qualifications for not just this year but possibly a few more years in the future that employers must recognise, along with universities.
How did the generation that was at school during the war cope with little or half day schooling once they became adults when it was time to be in the job market ?
I suppose that there was always jobs available in a local factory that no longer exists.

Trisha57 Mon 04-Jan-21 10:36:57

Just to put another example into the mix. A parent at local school has decided not to send her children back when primary school opens. She has had a kidney transplant and is very vulnerable and the staggered times for drop-off/pick up are chaotic with groups mixing in the playground, parents lingering around and taking off their masks before they leave the premises. Quite apart from the risk that her children will bring the virus into the home. She has now been told that she will be fined if she does not send them.

Annaram1 Mon 04-Jan-21 10:37:31

My daughter in laws parents live in Manchester with their teacher daughter. She caught covid at school and passed it on to her parents who are both over 80 with health problems. They had to go to hospital and were on ventilators but both survived and are now back home. Schools are not the safe places Johnson thinks they are.

nannypiano Mon 04-Jan-21 10:40:36

If schools close, parents can't work. That is the crux of the matter. The economy takes another giant hit with more furlough given, more firms going bankrupt etc.

aonk Mon 04-Jan-21 10:42:04

I don’t disagree with the views on school closures. Please however spare a thought for the parents. My DD is going to be helping 2 children do on line lessons as well as doing her own demanding job at the same time. Her DH was working at home in the Spring as well but now his office has reopened and attendance is compulsory. This situation is very common and it’s worrying to say the least. At the time when my AC most need my help I’m unable to give it. I can’t go into a bubble as I have other ACs in the same predicament and cannot choose between them.