Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Exercising once a day?

(360 Posts)
DaisyL Tue 05-Jan-21 17:19:17

Can anyone explain to me why we are only allowed to exercise once a day. I take my dogs out twice a day locally (in a very rural area) and avoid other people. What is the problem with this?

Suzy3 Wed 06-Jan-21 22:30:50

I have to shield and live on my own I have ms is there anyone else on here living alone

Callistemon Wed 06-Jan-21 22:32:34

Hetty58

Oh dear!

Guess who will be the first to complain, when they're told, by ambulance crew, that they won't be going to hospital? (Like my poor neighbour, too old, 85, chances of survival too low.)

She hadn't been out at all since February, shopping delivered, no visitors - still, she caught it.

She did a lot of gardening, though, so we assume it drifted on the air from a neighbour - or possibly from a delivery.

Still, some people always think that they know better, don't they? (There really is no such thing as 'Covid secure')

It will not have just drifted across from other gardens but is it possible that your neighbour, being lonely and feeling isolated, may have chatted to a neighbour over the fence, got too close to a delivery person?
Probably 2 metres is too close.
3 metres+ is recommended for those who are shielding.

Nanna58 Wed 06-Jan-21 22:33:32

I think I may have hit a nerve Hetty58 , so I shall bid you goodnight and ,perchance , a little humility and humanity, but I shan’t hold my breath!\

Buffybee Wed 06-Jan-21 22:39:59

Well, people are making all sorts of excuses for going out and about.
I don’t like staying in either and my young dog is stressed and whining as she doesn’t like it either.
How about, I go out as many times as I like tomorrow and in as many shops as I want to every day like MissChateline, it might also save me from injuring myself at home.
Anyone want to join me?

Hetty58 Wed 06-Jan-21 22:42:35

Callistemon, no, she wouldn't have chatted, being deaf, and 'over the fence' is impossible, too, with high hedges.

We thought, perhaps, she may have been near the hedge when somebody was on the other side, yet still, they'd be at least eight feet apart.

Still, a mystery - and really bad luck.

Callistemon Wed 06-Jan-21 22:46:52

Yes, a mystery!

Now, I'm not allowed to drive a mile to go for an isolated walk but have to make a 74 mile round trip to fetch my medication from a hospital which has a high number of Covid cases.

LesLee7 Wed 06-Jan-21 23:25:24

First of all I thought you didn't like to be in for 2 hours never mind 2 weeks, I've just come to this thread and you must have spent most of the day on it.
Well lucky you to get an Ocado delivery. In the first lockdown it took me about 5 weeks to get a delivery from anyone so in the meantime went through my cupboard (using out of date tins I never got round to throwing) going through freezer to eat up what was in there. God help my immune system. By the way they say frozen veg is sometimes better than fresh. I like good quality too but even before all this only went shopping weekly - it wasn't "stale". What about the increased number of people having to resort to foodbanks because of the situation - their immune systems must be shot. I think what a number of others are saying is why do you feel you can bend the rules - OK if you don't see anyone when you go for a walk (not a 5 mile hike) but daily to the shops? isn't following go out when necessary. I also noted you mentioned the weekly Ocado when your partner is there - where are they at other times? as you are not supposed to travel unless it's essential, not just to hook up.

Callistemon Wed 06-Jan-21 23:36:02

Who?

VioletCloud Wed 06-Jan-21 23:39:34

There are many considered points of view, both for and against the 'more than once a day' exercise debate. But for those whose selfish sole delight is stating that they 'hardly see anyone anyway' when out and about, is it any wonder, while most adhere to government advice and rules? Of course there are fewer folks out there to avoid, the rest are staying put and putting up for the long haul. If everyone continued their daily outdoor activities as before, for whatever reason or excuse, our pavements, tracks, bridleways, footpaths, trails, parks, outdoor recreational spaces, would see as much footfall as normal.

Our lockdown rules could be compared to the wartime shout 'get those lights out!' - one or two chinks attracted danger for everyone, not just those who left their blinds open or flashed a torch believing it would make very little difference to the overall outcome.

Hetty58 Wed 06-Jan-21 23:42:04

Callistemon, I assume it's MissChateline (that wonder woman who magically 'gets supplies' from town - yet never meets another person! How does she do it?)

Callistemon Wed 06-Jan-21 23:43:08

It's not me - I can't get an Ocado delivery either

sazz1 Thu 07-Jan-21 00:22:17

Just stay well away from other people. That will cut the risk of you catching or spreading this virus. Remember the new mutation spreads much easier.

pearl79 Thu 07-Jan-21 03:12:32

well if nothing else this thread demonstrates how much bile some people need, and how beneficial gransnet is to them! we all live in different circumstances.
where i live, anyone going out for longer than an hour (for exercising or whatever) would reduce my chances of getting beyond my front door whilst distancing 2metres (let alone the 3metres someone suggested). but i understand that for some of you you have less crowded places to go. others will be restricted by the "don't drive to exercise"; they have places to go and exercise without risk, but can't get there because of the bottleneck effect of housing proximity.
we are all managing with different circumstances, let alone different home situations.
we are none of us helped by, eg, the government decision to wait until the nhs is 96% inundated with covid cases. 4% is not sufficient leeway when numbers are on the rise!!! likewise, it was not wise to let all those littlies run around spreading at school for the benefit of one day's education on monday, when they must have known they were about to put us all into lockdown 3.
and finally, it would really help if "they" gave us an explanation of why each rule was in place. help us to understand why we are being so restricted. and help us to understand whether any particular action would actually be against the purpose of the rule. the rules we are given to live by seem to conflict. are we "saving the nhs" by ensuring we don't overburden it? or are we saving ourselves? are we not-exercising to leave space for someone else to get their exercise? or to make sure we all feel as miserable as the next person? are we distancing to make sure we don't pass on our possibly asymptomatic germs to old and vulnerable people, or just thinking of how likely we are to get by without much worse than "a cold"?
more reliable information would help us all.
clearer explanations would help us all.
sympathy for others would help us all.
understanding that we will all find different restrictions more difficult to comply with might help us all.
understanding that we're all battling with different health/illhealth issues might help us all.

i wish everyone here well ~ but does everyone really need so much bile?

best wishes for a thoroughly wonderful thursday. flowerssunshineshamrock

CanadianGran Thu 07-Jan-21 04:22:42

I live in a small town with a population of about 15000. Going for a walk, other people are quite easily avoided by stepping out onto the street. Going out for two walks a day in my neighbourhood or on a trail would unlikely be hazardous.

However, when I visited my daughter at the end of October in a larger city of about 60,000 we went for a walk in a park and there were many families on the path which was in some parts narrower. I remember it was a cool day, and I could see people's breath in the air. It gave me a bit of a wake up on how easy it is for this virus to spread. On a windy day a six foot distance would not be enough. If everyone in the city went out for two walks a day the sidewalks and parks would be full of people, with more opportunity to spread the virus.

I am not sure of your rules for outdoor activities; are you required to wear a mask outdoors? I think it is wise if you cannot maintain distance from people.

The government makes recommendations or mandates for good reason, and I feel we all must do our best to obey for the good of all.

Hetty58 Thu 07-Jan-21 05:11:40

To be clear, I don't like this government, didn't vote for them - and don't entirely agree with the rules. No, they don't always make sense.

We have emergency laws right now, though. I don't break the law. I respect the law. I'm not a criminal. Do people realise that 'bending a rule' can be criminal behaviour?

Then, they have the sheer cheek to admit, on here, their criminal behaviour (in the unshakeable belief that they always 'know better') and expect polite, understanding support from others. Unbelievable!

We all have family, friends and neighbours to look out for. We want them to survive, dread watching them die. Why would we support those who put their lives at risk?

N4n4 Thu 07-Jan-21 08:15:27

The problem OP is that the vast majority of people do not live in very rural areas where they can take themselves, or themselves and a pet, for a walk without meeting other people. This translates to Boris and co having to give generalised rules for all of us, he cannot ring/text/email/write to you individually DaisyL, or to all the other people who might be in a position where it is safe enough for each of them to go outside to exercise more than once every day - there must be quite a few people who could do so eg. Night workers who on their nights off, could safely walk the streets without a severe risk of a close encounter with another person; or a mansion owner with acres of grounds that they can walk around, without too much risk of meeting many other people who are not in their bubble - just think of Her Majesty at Windsor Castle, she could safely ride her horse for miles without either being a risk to herself or other people; then there are farmers, many of whom will have large acres of land in which they could safely exercise all day, if they weren't so busy working on their farms... But Boris has to talk to the masses, even if you feel that he should single you out by saying on his bulletins "of course this doesn't apply to Ms DaisyL, because she, lives very remotely, so the chances of her passing on the virus, or catching it herself, and ending up in ICU, are so far fetched that I am giving her a special dispensation, to walk her dog in the wilds, twice a day"!
Unfortunately for Mr Johnson, he has to assume that he is talking to the least intelligent of people when addressing the public, he has to assume that none of the people who are listening to him will understand the necessity of the rules, or have enough commonsense to interpret them correctly (he even privately believes that some of the people listening to him will still not understand him, and will have to resort to social media to ask their peers to explained why he is giving them the same rules as everyone else), unbelievably (I know) some people will think that he should give them personal messages saying that they don't have to stick to the rules because they are special in some way or another. Obviously the people I have just alluded to can't actually have any commonsense, so it is probably just as well if they don't venture out more than once a day, in fact, I personally am not sure that people with no commonsense should be allowed even one outing a day, as I am not sure that we could trust them if they did happen to come across another dog walker, that they wouldn't at the very least rush up to the other dog, and pet and kiss it - covid 19 can be transferred from the fur of one animal, to the paws, hands and lips of another animal, even a human being!

Missingmoominmama Thu 07-Jan-21 10:31:43

N4n4- I wish I could share your post widely!

DaisyL Thu 07-Jan-21 10:32:10

My goodness me when I started this thread with an idle question about why we were only allowed out once a day I had no idea what a can of worms I was going to open up, nor how many angry people there are out there. Hopefully venting may dissipate some of that anger. In the meantime I shall continue to walk my dogs away from other people feeling extremely grateful that I live in a beautiful rural area. Roll on the vaccine when we will all be able to move about freely.

MissChateline Thu 07-Jan-21 10:46:29

DaisyL......indeed I had no idea of the bile that is delivered via forums like this.

However dear gransnetters through your numerous thoughtful and balanced contributions I have finally seen the error of my ways. I shall from now on become a reformed character by not going out twice a day (1 hour and 2 hours) for isolated exercise where I see no one on the beautiful moors and hills. I shall now only go out once a day for 3 to 4 hours. Thereby sticking to the rules of exercise once a day. I will take a sandwich and flask and enjoy the solitude of the deserted countryside and at the same time de criminalise myself.

MayBee70 Thu 07-Jan-21 10:53:09

I must point out (having slept on it) that I only do a second walk because I live in a very isolated place. And I worry about my cholesterol level, a test I did a couple of years ago saying that I had high bad cholesterol but it was ok because my diet and exercise regime meant that my good cholesterol counteracted it. In every other way possible I’m shielding myself and have done so for 11 months.

BlueSky Thu 07-Jan-21 11:33:00

Yes Daisy I bet you wish you never asked... confused

PamelaJ1 Thu 07-Jan-21 11:53:33

Daisy
I have found , more than once, that posters don’t read myOP’s in the same voice that I posted them?

Moonlight113 Thu 07-Jan-21 11:58:47

Hetty58 do you and your poor neighbour who was refused hospital treatment by the ambulance crew, live in China? I'm just amazed that that would happen in this country.

MayBee70 Thu 07-Jan-21 12:00:39

I guess that people only tend to listen to the actual rule without working out for themselves the reasoning behind the rule. Just like when they are told they can eat out to help out, can have multiple households meeting at Christmas it doesn’t occur to them not to do so. If I did my second walk in the daytime when there would be more chance of being close to people I could pretend I was going to the butchers: the one that was closed for a week because there had been contact with a covid sufferer and a place that I won’t go into even though it is covid safe (whatever that means....).

Moonlight113 Thu 07-Jan-21 12:00:48

Doctors and nurses in hospitals all over the country are practically killing themselves endeavouring to save the lives of the over eighties.