(1001 Posts)
Doodle Tue 05-Jan-21 21:13:12

Welcome to our new home.
Extra comfy sofas and chairs.
A handsome butler ....well Jeeves ?
All the hot chocolate you can drink
And the most important thing, the company of good friends

Doodle Mon 25-Jan-21 19:13:12

Kaimoana sorry there have been more cases. That is worrying that positive and negative cases are allowed to mix in the quarantine hotel. Hope you don’t have lockdown again.
Grammaretto so pleased you’ve got an appointment for the vaccine. Good to hear that more and more are being offered appointments. Have you still got snow? Ours has almost melted away.
Mamissimo your post gave me an image in my mind of an Ena Sharples type character in a hairnet, wielding a rolling pin threading her quarantine guests if they dared move out of their rooms. I think that might work ?
Your little one sounds a determined young lady, demanding a potty. Quite a character forming I would think.
Perhaps you could slip a piece of that jigsaw in the bin every time you walk past until it finally disappears ?
Missedout I am very impressed with your jigsaw. I see you have 5 leftover pieces. That’s a bit naughty to include pieces that can’t be used. I would take it apart and give it to your son on his next birthday ?
Glad you are feeling a bit better.
Your story about the woodpigeons made me laugh. We watch the ducks in a similar way. If one has his advances rebuffed they tend to flap their wings then look nonchalantly away as if to say “I wasn’t bothered with her anyway” .
We had a goose in our garden the other day who seemed to be checking the place out for its nesting options. We have a pair of geese who seem to come here every year. I think they find it a safe haven. Being on a stream off the main river gives them a bit of protection and the backwater is a quiet spot for them to wander about. We had five goslings last spring.
Ah that’s reminded me of a story about some ducklings. I will tell you (if you’re interested) but not tonight as I’m a bit sleepy. Been busy on the housework front today.

NfkDumpling Mon 25-Jan-21 19:41:34

Missedout that's just showing off! You clever thing! I'm glad the sunshine has cheered you and you're feeling better today. Have you been taking your vitamin D? DH's latest government letter says we can get free Vitamin D, but we've already bought a large bottle.

Six cases of Covid Kaimoana? From one person who'd already quarantined. It's worrying how easily this new variant spreads. I can understand why people don't want to stay in their rooms throughout their quarantine period. I don't suppose they're top of the range rooms with loads of space. Perhaps self catering holiday camps would work better with clockwise route marches for exercise!

And you've got an appointment Grammaretto! Fantastic! Next month isn't very far off now - I hope it's early in the month.

I've been sailing in the Netherlands on three or four occasions Dragonfly and loved the country. We went with friends who had a sailing boat and needed crew to help sail across from Suffolk and help with the locks on the canals. So many beautiful towns. I've just been reading about riots there demonstrating against their lock-down restrictions. It's a fine line our governments walk. So easy to get it wrong.

DH is watching one of the original Last of the Summer Wine's. They all look so very young!

CherryCezzy Mon 25-Jan-21 21:35:31

Evening Indomitables.

More fun in Cherry Cove today. It started with a dratted you know what ? around 5:30 - 6am. I fell out of bed and when I regained consciousness I thought I had toppled the bed over on its side and proceeded to try to put it upright again ?. Of course it was no more than my postictal confusion ?. After putting it back, well I thought that's what I'd done, I couldn't find it and wandered around the bedroom feeling everything trying to locate it! I found it exactly where I'd left it of course. When I woke up a bit later I realised that it was the bedside table that I'd actually moved in belief it was the bed ?
Not long after getting up the phone rang. It was the kitchen fitter wanting the copy of the kitchen plan I had received in my postbox on Friday ? it's my only copy so I wasn't going to give him than and why didn't he have his own anyway, curious. I said I'd copy the one I have and he could collect the copy ... our printer wouldn't copy ?. He wasn't very happy. The plan I was sent isn't even right anyway so it wouldn't be any good for him. I had to ring the OT to find what the heck is going on, she said that they hadn't even sent her any plan whatsoever. She wasn't impressed. This is turning into a nightmare saga! Perhaps I shouldn't bother?! I know I've got a grant but as, you Kaimoana, pointed out it doesn't cover the whole cost, we're paying the lion's share.

Dentist tomorrow, ? for me as I seem to be on the end of some bad luck at the moment ?

So pleased that you've got your vaccine appointment letter Grammaretto ?. Hope it's early February. Bit by bit, one by one us LobStars are getting jabbed!

I hope the rest of the gang are okay, very tired tonight so it's night night from me ?

Grammaretto Mon 25-Jan-21 22:50:46

Oh Cherry what a busy time you are having! After a night like that, a day of dealing with kitchen fitting or at least planning for a kitchen fitting.
I can see why you might not want to bother.

How lovely to watch the ducks and geese Doodle There's a water rail on our local pond so I'm told
I think you win the jigsaw challenge Missedout well done.

DS stayed in a quarantine hotel for 2 weeks in NZ. He didn't go out. I think he did once but decided the air in the exercise yard, which was part of a roped off carpark at the edge of the airport, was not going to be much good to breathe. Others walked around in circles, carefully spaced and supervised; no chatting.
The meals were delivered to their rooms - a bit like aeroplane food but they could buy extra. They paid $4,000 each but his was waived because he had travelled on compassionate grounds. He was lucky that he could work from his room on his laptop. The army were in charge and it was strict.

Bed time again. It does keep coming round. Sleep well Lobstars

dragonfly46 Mon 25-Jan-21 23:00:20

Night night everyone. I hope you have a better night Cherry.

Kaimoana Mon 25-Jan-21 23:37:30

Back from my swim - the cold water was delightful. grin

Happy to hear you have a jab date Grammaretto.

Nfk Pretty much all the quarantine facilities are 4 and 5 star and as no tourists are allowed into NZ, they're glad of the revenue. See pic for typical room at Stamford Plaza where Anna works.
However, even 5 stars can get a bit wearing if you're confined 24/7.

Mamissimo I can see your wee one commanding a government department or a battleship one of these days. Some job which needs foresight and planning grin Bless her.

The one person I'd never envisage when thinking about Mamissimo is Ena Sharples.
Maybe Vanessa Redgrave though?

Doodle I wish I had your water birds, they sound lovely. When I first came here, the Swifts came back for the first three summers, then never again as their habitat had gone sad
A Pukeko has recently adopted me. He sees I put out seeds and recently, when I was given bread, he's dashed to snatch that before the sparrows and Minahs. I don't usually put out bread, it's not good for birds.

This morning, as I got into the St John Shuttle and the driver and I were talking, the Pukeko heard my voice, came rushing over and all but hopped in there with me. grin

TheSocialHermit I've heard of taking chilli in cocoa and chocolate as the Aztecs did, but Cajun spice is a new one! smile

Nortsat Missy the Sweetcorn Cat - you need to write a children's story about that - hee hee.

13 more Northland Covid contacts located as I write this, all quarantined now but up to 10 hours wait in long, long, long queues for testing.

Cherry If you really had moved the bed, you could enter the Ironwoman Competition. grin
I used to fancy Geoff Capes like mad!

Thinking about all those battling their own ill health or caring for loved ones - take care, take time for yourselves, pop in when you can and know we have you in our hearts.
xxxx

Doodle Tue 26-Jan-21 00:20:08

Nfk Did I understand that right, you sailed from Suffolk to the Netherlands? That sounds very adventurous.
Did you do lots of sailing in non lockdown years?
Oh Cherry not again. Not just falling but re arranging the bedroom furniture as well. ?. Hope you’re not hurt.
Oh printers...*******. Why do they never work when you need them. We ask ours to print something and it clanks and chi pugs away for ages then says it’s run out of ink ?
Sorry you need to go to the dentist. Hope you get the problem fixed ok. Hope you have a better night tonight.
Grammaretto that certainly was a strict regime for your son but I suppose it is what is needed in these times. I’m glad he didn’t have to pay for it under the circumstances.
Night night dragonfly hope you have a good night too.
Kaimoana glad you enjoyed your swim. Cold water doesn’t seem too inviting to me at the moment as it’s quite chilly here.
Gracious Kaimoana I wasn’t imagining Mamissimo as Ena Sharples as well you know ?. Oh yes Vanessa Redgrave, lovely cheekbones.
That’s a colourful bird the Pukeko. Is it the same size as a pigeon? He obviously has become very attached to you ?
panache hope you both have a restful night.
Sleep well gangsters.

Doodle Tue 26-Jan-21 00:22:14

I bet you all wish you had a printer that chi pugs away. ? ?

Mamissimo Tue 26-Jan-21 10:56:05

Good morning ?

All this talk of sailing to the Netherlands is taking me back....I met Mr M on a sailing weekend and our pre child years were spent thrashing across the Chanel on various races. He is a qualified Ocean Yacht Master and skippered yachts at weekends for pleasure. During the week he was boringly predictable he was in the City.

One year we delivered a friend's small yacht from the Solent to Great Yarmouth and took a week to do it via Ostend and Amsterdam. As we sailed back across the North Sea we realised we had far too much booze on board to clear customs so we had packet soup made with brandy.......??

I wish I still had the mobility and agility to clamber about on the foredeck now....but I'm glad my culinary skills have improved!

Cherry I feel for you with the kitchen people. Many years ago Mr M deliberately spilt his coffee all over the plan drawn up by a Moben salesman because he'd been here for three hours and wouldn't give up! He'd 'phoned the manager' three times to get the price reduced and was determined not leave without a sale. DH grabbed the coffee soggy plan and charged to the bin with it leaving the salesman with nothing to sell.

I've just taken delivery of a lovely box of Dhalias in dark wine-y purple and orange so I can dream of late summer sun today as the snow turns to slush in the rain melts!

Back later....

Doodle Tue 26-Jan-21 12:52:45

Mamissimo I love how one gangster’s comment leads to a memory for another. It must have been a lovely experience racing across the channel. Not sure I would have fancied the brandy soup though ?
DH and I have had boats in our past but only on the river.
Ah yes we have had a similar experience of kitchen salesmen. They always make an offer that’s a special deal and you have to accept straight away. We never did.
Those Dahlias sound a lovely colour. Have a good day.

Grammaretto Tue 26-Jan-21 15:26:47

Are those flowering Dahlias or tubors with promise Mamissimo?
I presume they are to dream about in the Summer.
I sent off my seed order and strawberries - I hope that some may arrive.

Such bold and brave explorers you are! I would be seasick even before attempting brandy soup.

I have again been searching boxes for any sign of ancient title deeds (which my solicitor requires and I would love to find)
Unfortunately our elderly incontinent cat put paid to several boxes when she mistook them for her litter tray
I have come across some ancient papers which seem to be a will from Glasgow 1827 but the pages are so tightly folded I am afraid to prise them open in case they get too damaged.
I forgot to post this. See you all later.

Jan16 Tue 26-Jan-21 16:34:31

Oh dear Norstat love the tale of the puss cat eating sweet corn kernels and Grammaretto elderly cat getting confused with her litter tray!
Interesting happening today. Had a letter a week ago on behalf of NHS from the Imperial College London asking if I would take part in an Antibody research study about Covid. I gaily ticked the yes box and test arrived today. What a carry on! Consisted of DH sticking a special little needle into my finger then squeezing out the blood - except no blood wanted to come out! So DH squeezed harder and harder. By this time I’m squealing but hurrah a little came out! It had to be squeezed onto a special little tray in a special little place except that the blood went everywhere! Then we had to put a solution into another place and wait and see if a line turned red which meant negative. And red it was so I have no Covid antibodies. Not the end thought. Had to photograph the result then fill in a questionnaire and upload the photo! Yes I live in a house- next question do I live in a Care Home? Er no just told you a house and I’m not telling you what our monthly income is! The air was blue! The whole experience took an hour - think I might get the wine out!!
After all that boring tale hope everyone is bearing up in this strange land and those who are poorly are feeling a bit better

CherryCezzy Tue 26-Jan-21 21:04:17

I've just checked back on the thread and I must say wow Missedout, well done with the impossible puzzle ?. Now what I suggest is that you return it to your DS, taking out 5 pieces that fit and putting in the 5 spare ones. Cruel ?? Or sly? ? I'm joking of course or am I ?

Doodle the dentist appointment was a routine one, a deep clean. The dentist only cleaned the top ones though so I have to go back in a month to have the bottom teeth done. I also need a new gun shield so she's put that on the list but that means yet another appointment ?. It got us out of the house ?. I'm glad it was at lunchtime though as I had another dratted seizure in the night and was, strangely, awake for a couple of hours after it so didn't wake up 'til 9am ? I didn't fall out of bed though ?

My footie team played earlier this evening and won again ?. Six matches unbeaten, ker-ching! Makes for a happy Tigger this evening. Small things ...

Mamissimo ? to Mr M. I don't know about you but with me even if it's a good deal and it's what I want, I've got the money and it's what I've been looking for the hard sell always puts me off. A hard sell is a no sale with me.

Gosh more sailors amongst our gangsters, Mamissimo and Doodle. No sailors in Cherry Cove but I do have a short story to tell. When I was a child I used to get incredibly travel sick. One year our school trip involved travelling on a ferry. I wanted to go but I was worried that it would be spoiled by the sickness. I had travel sickness tablets but they didn't always work. I went on the school trip and wasn't travel sick at all. I never had travel sickness again ?

Jan that Antibody research study is an admirable thing to do but it does sound a faff. The questionnaire sounds a bit illogical ?

Drat.. neighbour nightmare alert ?

Doodle Tue 26-Jan-21 22:04:31

Grammaretto I hope you find the deeds you are looking for and they didn’t end up as kitty litter ?
That’s a really old will, I hope someone can help you unravel it. Your house sounds a really interesting place. Do you have lots of nooks and crannies to search.
Jan that was some study you got involved in ? I’m always amazed at the information required these days. Some of the questions make you wonder what on Earth they want to know for,
Hope the wine made you feel better ?
Cherry oooh you are awful. ?
Goodness Cherry what sort of teeth do you have that require a gun shield ?. Are you a secret agent on the sly ?️‍♀️ ?
Sorry you had another bad night. At least no bruises hopefully .
Your team are doing well. Nice to have something to be interested in. Anything that makes our Tigger happy is a good thing ?
That’s so good you managed your school trip without the travel sickness and never had it again. My DGS gets car sick. It’s not a nice feeling.
What are the neighbours up to now? Do you want the lobsters to come and sort them out ........well I could send Jeeves round with the boys....?

Kaimoana Wed 27-Jan-21 01:52:24

Grammaretto Don't solicitors have to file copies of Wills and Deeds and stuff with some central place?
?? Somerset House??

Genealogists can access all sorts of ancient official records these days so there should be some copy somewhere.

Jan what a performance! I'm sure almost it was genuine but I'd be asking why my financial status was even on the form.

Cherry a gun shield no less, that nightmare neighbour really is getting to you but please don't get caught taking pot shots, even if she is potty.

Oooh, I tautoko the idea with the jigsaw - revenge is sweet grin

My experiences at sea have been very limited but the first time I crossed Cook Straight it was in a howling Southerly of 40 knots and I tied myself to the guard rail and enjoyed every fantastic minute of the 3 hour trip. Everyone else (Captain excepted) was sick.
Perhaps it's all that fish I eat? grin

I am getting old and curmudgeonly. At Communicare today I was heartily sick of it by 11am and wished for home but it finishes at 1:15 so had to sit there cursing slow minutes. Shan't go next week.

In November last year I wrote to the Council requesting info on by-laws for private roads. They referred me (for some unknown reason) to Auckland Transport.
Today, AT emailed to say they'd sent my query to Auckland Council. Serves 'em right smile

Covid alert is over - all contacts traced, all quarantined, all negative - so far.
It's given everyone a heck of a scare though, everywhere you look there are long queues for tests.

Hope everyone is resting well. flowers I almost said "in peace" shock

grin

Kaimoana Wed 27-Jan-21 03:30:09

Doodle I forgot to answer your question, sorry.
Pukeko are about the size of a large hen but with much longer legs.

Amusingly, they are often called Indomitable Pukeko smile
nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/pukeko

Grammaretto Wed 27-Jan-21 11:31:08

Hi Lobstars,
I've just lost my post but I'll try once more.
Cherry you make me laugh. The gun shield could come in useful in the piched battle with the neighbour. But why the Dentist? grin

This house has lots of nooks and crannies Doodle i may have already said we had been here for a year before I came across an attic, with floor and window, disguised in panelling. I climbed a ladder into it but was majorly disappointed. No treasure.
A lightbulb has blown and I cannot change it myself. high ceiling, glass lampshade so must wait for DS to come at the weekend in daylight.
Am I being gently nudged to think about moving house do you suppose?

I am glad your covid alert is over Kaimoana . I hope there comes a day when we can relax again.
Meanwhile here is a funny:

Grammaretto Wed 27-Jan-21 11:44:19

You would think solicitors would need to keep copies of wills and deeds, wouldn't you. Kaikmoana
But the Bank says they only keep records for 7 years.
Our original solicitors was taken over by another firm which was swallowed by a bigger one in 2014. Should I ask them?

Doodle Wed 27-Jan-21 16:10:32

Kaimoana I had a vision of you strapped to the guard rail like one of those carved wooden figures at the front of wooden ships leaning out into the sea. ?
Sorry you didn’t enjoy Communicare. What do they do there?
Good news about your COVID alert. Wish the news here was better.
Those Pukekos are quite big then.
Grammaretto I love the sound of your house. I was disappointed you didn’t find any treasure in your secret attic.
I like your plans for the weekend chart. ?.
Oh dear I wonder how you can find your deeds. There must be somewhere that keeps a record.

Mamissimo Wed 27-Jan-21 17:47:42

Good evening.

Today was jab day ? and it's shepherds pie for supper....

I hope all your days were as pleasantly uneventful.

Kaimoana Wed 27-Jan-21 19:40:13

Grammaretto I wonder if any of these places could help?

www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Scotland_Deeds#:~:text=To%20find%20more%20deed%20records,%2D%20Land%20and%20property%22%20heading.&text=You%20will%20also%20find%20deeds,the%20National%20Records%20of%20Scotland.

AND

www.ros.gov.uk/services/order-documents
Sorry, my eyes are very bad today, that's all I can manage (did I hear sighs of relief!? grin

Thinking of you all though. xxx

Jan16 Wed 27-Jan-21 20:07:37

Kaimoana. I have been through the Cook strait on a cruise ship. I’ve never known wind like it. We were on deck and all the chairs and tables were blown around and everyone was holding onto something solid! Enjoyed it though. Was a glorious day pity about the wind. We did a cruise round Australia then on to New Zealand. Loved New Zealand

Grammaretto Wed 27-Jan-21 20:37:49

Thank you Kaimoana. That is helpful. I have found one useful looking document and will speak to my solicitor tomorrow.
I have been across the Cook Strait several times in my life but the weirdest and wildest trip was from Evans Bay Wellington to Sydney on a flying boat. It was a double decker plane and businessmen were smoking cigars. we children were very sick

Yay!! Mamissimo and MrM have had their jabs.

Doodle Wed 27-Jan-21 21:10:30

Mamissimo I wish you’d told me earlier, I’d have been round like a shot. I love shepherds pie?
Glad you had your vaccination. Hope all went well.
Jan and Grammaretto you are both adventurous in your travels. I prefer sailing close to land on calm seas. ?
I’ve had a very watery afternoon actually.
I went into the kitchen to tidy up and picked up the spray hose we have to swirl round the sink. It seemed a little stiff so I gave it a good tug and the end came off in my hand ????The hose continued to snake around in the air squirting water all over me, the cupboards, the floor. Panic! DH says it must have some sort of stopcock. He still can’t bend so he grabbed the hose and tried squeezing it to stop the water coming out. As he squeezed it one end, it came out the other. I had to go and find some spanners and with DH fighting the snake ? I was on my knees, head in the cupboard trying to turn the water off. Finally got it off then the next half hour mopping up the water and drying ourselves. Fortunately the kitchen fitters are working and they came round within the hour and fixed it for us. What a day!

Kaimoana Thu 28-Jan-21 07:40:29

Oh poor you and DH Doodle, the Uncontrollable Water Snake. I feel guilty about laughing. blush

Yes, I was exactly like the figurehead: soaked to the skin, cold to the bone but still smiling!

Indeed Jan16 that's about right for Cook Straight but I'm glad you enjoyed it anyway. Hope you and DH are managing all right.

Hope you and your WP didn't have too bad a reaction to the jab.

Has anyone heard how the Panaches are doing? I worry about them - and Missedout and Cherry, Fanny Cornforth Nfk, Nortsat and a few others who've been battling on against various issues - hope to hear from you soon, even if only a couple of lines.

Still with us GrannyFrench ? I don't think I got that name quite right, désolé, mauvaise vue. sad

I may be going to see Gubbins on Saturday - my son is coming for me. Happy, happy, happy grin

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion