Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

You couldn't make this up could you? Wonder how they voted... Elderly Britons are REFUSING Pfizer's vaccine because they'd rather 'wait for the English one' | Daily Mail Online

(290 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

biba70 Fri 08-Jan-21 12:08:50

this seems just crazy.

Iam64 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:48:44

Good for you TwiceAsNice. My parents and parents in law took the Daily Wail. My father in law was a joy. He'd sit at the breakfast table, blood pressure rising as he read out something about some awful leftie London Borough giving money to naredowells. His son and daughter in law (me) would be almost weeping with laughter as we waited for his rant, a guaranteed daily event and always aimed at "those blinkin' lefties" - he almost added 'I don't mean you two" but never quite did.

Callistemon Fri 08-Jan-21 14:47:49

Urmstongran

Be very careful Calli!
?

Even the MOS sometimes - because DH likes the puzzles in the centre. It keeps him quiet for a bit.

biba70 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:47:33

How is this 'sensationalist'???

People are desperate to get the vaccine- and these people are just turning them down because they want 'the British one'? Shocking, yes.

BBbevan Fri 08-Jan-21 14:46:35

There’s no pleasing some people is there?

TwiceAsNice Fri 08-Jan-21 14:43:43

By the way I read the Saturday Daily Mail and don’t mind who knows!

nadateturbe Fri 08-Jan-21 14:43:11

Haven't read the article..
I don't think it's right to say one's morher is stubborn because she won't do what you want.
She's exercising her right to choose.
I am very unsure about a vaccine that has been developed and tested so quickly.
I too have an auto immune condition and react to medication easily.
My husband plans to have it as soon as its offered. I don't.

TwiceAsNice Fri 08-Jan-21 14:42:16

I will take whatever one is offered and although you can’t force people I think everyone should have it unless contraindicated health wise.

In the news yesterday it said 70 people were a no show for vaccinations at a Kent surgery. The staff phoned other people to come in so none were wasted. Apparently once it’s made ready to give there’s only a 2 hour window to use it or it has to be discarded. What a terrible waste that would be.

Urmstongran Fri 08-Jan-21 14:37:52

Be very careful Calli!
?

Urmstongran Fri 08-Jan-21 14:36:34

A 95y old in my extended family had his second immunisation of the Pfizer vaccine earlier this week. Quite happy!
?

biba you do like to promote sensationalist viewpoints!

Callistemon Fri 08-Jan-21 14:32:09

Does it matter which friend it was
Well, not to us, of course, but we're always being told on GN that anyone who reads the Daily Mail is a bit suspect, not to be trusted, should come with a health warning, so perhaps you should be wary of who you make friends with biba.

I confess mae culpa that I do read the Daily Wail on line. When I say read it, I suppose I mean I skim the headlines and occasionally read the recipes. I saw this headline and thought, eh up they're at it again, fake news and exaggeration are not confined the the Trump camp.

I do look at the Daily Moan, as DD calls it, very occasionally, more when there is a link to an article posted on GN.

Sometimes I even read the Saturday DM as DH buys it on Saturdays for the TV times (and I do like Monty Don).
Should I confess that on GN?

BigBertha1 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:32:03

People with Lupus on immunosuppressants have been advised to wait for the Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine.

biba70 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:25:58

Yes, reported in many different papers- and shared all over. Several friends have sent it to me- one a nurse, and one a GP.

Please, no accusation of 'do not bear false witness' - unless your can demonstrate that this is 'false witness'. Are you saying that this is not true? In which case, demonstrate, please.

Charleygirl5 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:25:38

Well biba- I happen to trust janeainsworth and MawB two more well-read people than myself and also more intelligent.

Switzerland is a small country- has the entire country not been vaccinated yet or would the country like some help from our army? Have you got the numbers to hand?

Iam64 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:22:21

Ahem, at the risk of being accused of cult like behaviour, I'm with MawB and janeainsworth on this one.

I confess mae culpa that I do read the Daily Wail on line. When I say read it, I suppose I mean I skim the headlines and occasionally read the recipes. I saw this headline and thought, eh up they're at it again, fake news and exaggeration are not confined the the Trump camp.

Casdon Fri 08-Jan-21 14:14:20

It’s been reported in a number of newspapers Kalu, not just the DM. If you type refusing Pfizer vaccine into your search bar you’ll see them, it looks like NE England reported it first.

MawBe Fri 08-Jan-21 14:14:01

biba70

Does it matter which friend it was- really. I am very lucky to have many friends, including a lot of ex students who love to send me stuff. So you are right jane, I didn't not read the full article- to which I, thank goodness, do not have access to.

It is important to know who to trust, and I trust this friend and lovey ex student.

It highlights the danger of passing on second hand information, whether it be something someone else has said e.g,on another site, or linking to an unsubstantiated source.
These are just three examples, there have been others - perhaps you need to be more discriminating about your contacts.
No question of a “dream team” janeainsworth and I are not the only people to question the motivation behind threads which are based on questionable sources.
As the Good Book says, “Do not bear false witness..”

Buffybee Fri 08-Jan-21 14:13:52

Yawn ?

Kalu Fri 08-Jan-21 14:05:38

If you don’t read the Daily Mail through choice, why would you send a link from a friend without further reasearch?

No news I have heard/read this morning, makes any reference to your thread title biba

biba70 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:01:51

but jane and Maw- wow- what a dream team.

biba70 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:01:06

Does it matter which friend it was- really. I am very lucky to have many friends, including a lot of ex students who love to send me stuff. So you are right jane, I didn't not read the full article- to which I, thank goodness, do not have access to.

It is important to know who to trust, and I trust this friend and lovey ex student.

janeainsworth Fri 08-Jan-21 13:29:23

Maw I thought it might have been the ‘friend’ who sent the photo of all those British tourists not social-distancing at a Greek airport a few months ago wink

GillT57 Fri 08-Jan-21 13:23:38

well to be honest, as there are millions of people desperate for the vaccine, people who refuse a vaccine on the grounds of it's provenance should simply move aside and allow others to have it instead.

MawBe Fri 08-Jan-21 13:22:48

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Jaxjacky Fri 08-Jan-21 13:21:35

So, ten police officers had the spares out of, I assume, the 925 in the batch sent out. There will always be a % who don’t/can’t turn up for their appointment, as there was with the flu vaccine. Typical DM stirring.

Galaxy Fri 08-Jan-21 13:20:32

Me too Ellanvannin, perhaps I should put in a request.