Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

You couldn't make this up could you? Wonder how they voted... Elderly Britons are REFUSING Pfizer's vaccine because they'd rather 'wait for the English one' | Daily Mail Online

(290 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

biba70 Fri 08-Jan-21 12:08:50

this seems just crazy.

AnnieGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 09-Jan-21 15:41:46

Hello everyone. We're receiving a lot of reports about this thread and so want to remind you all of our Talk Guidelines, which, among other things, call for courtesy towards your fellow posters, even if you disagree with them.

growstuff Sat 09-Jan-21 15:44:40

staca Could you give more details? That seriously sounds like scare-mongering, like some of the ridiculous scare stories about 5G technology.

growstuff Sat 09-Jan-21 15:47:01

I bet you the people waiting for the "English vaccine" haven't a clue about cancer treatments or mutations. Some of them have probably had cancer treatments. Do you think they ask who developed or merketed the drugs that were used?

Callistemon Sat 09-Jan-21 15:51:48

Not a snowflake in sight.

I never called them snowflakes or say that they swear.
I said they sound dreadful.

Galen Sat 09-Jan-21 15:53:05

You’d be surprised by the daft questions some patients ask or believe!
I remember one patient saying that her daughter could not possibly be pregnant as she was always in by 9.30 and didn’t know any boys!
This is just as ridiculous as insisting on the ‘ English vaccine’

Callistemon Sat 09-Jan-21 16:00:29

For example: how it will sit with future RNA cancer treatments or future vaccines against more virulent mutations

You've lost me there staca
Could you direct me to some reputable, scientifically researched links?

staca Sat 09-Jan-21 16:03:07

Oh sorry I'm not meaning to scaremonger just trying to point out that there are many questions about vaccinations, particularly new forms, that need time to answer.
I'm not into ant-vax 5G conspiracies, actually as part of my work I used to promote the measles vaccine amongst some ethnic minority communities extremely opposed to vaccinations.
I was merely reflecting on conversations I have had with professionals and trying to point out that elderly people should not be deemed ridiculous for voicing their concerns.

PECS Sat 09-Jan-21 16:13:30

We have all kinds of medications / treatments that people take for all kinds of ailments without querying them much--or at all! Because we are all a bit on edge now and have time to reflect there is time to worry! I am sure either vaccine is as safe as any medication can be. There will always be contra indications and a small percentage who will have an adverse reaction. The vast majority of those receiving the vaccine will benefit without any problems.

MawBe Sat 09-Jan-21 17:10:52

I was merely reflecting on conversations I have had with professionals and trying to point out that elderly people should not be deemed ridiculous for voicing their concerns

That seems reasonable enough to me.
Nor should their political views or electoral preferences be called into question Wonder how they voted - that is both patronising and offensive.
We have long prided ourselves in the U.K. on our secret ballot which means that how we vote is nobody’s business but our own.

Callistemon Sat 09-Jan-21 18:14:19

Oh sorry I'm not meaning to scaremonger just trying to point out that there are many questions about vaccinations, particularly new forms, that need time to answer.

Yes, I think we do need information and have been trying to read as much as possible, I just wondered if you had any links to useful information, in particular about any interaction with RNA treatments.
They are being investigated as possible treatments for Covid.

biba70 Sat 09-Jan-21 18:32:31

Callistemon

^Not a snowflake in sight.^

well, sorry, but they are wonderful and very caring and intelligent. Just despair that their parents have voted to strip them of their rights, of their livelyhoods and future, and their security, and that of their children- those people's grandchildren. And just cannot bear the lack of awareness of such, lack of contrition and how the fear, distrust and even worse, of foreigners and everything foreign, is tainting and guiding their views.

Many who already live abroad and are now not sure what will happen next- and those who were planning to travel and now find that they can no longer- and that their parents are to blame.

They are upset, and no wonder.

Iam64 Sat 09-Jan-21 18:43:21

Please Biba70, give it a rest. We have lived and breathed Brexit for years now. It's over, sadly. I voted R. as did ever single member of my family, from those of us in our seventies to the youth wing in their 20's and 30s. All equally distressed, for all the (what I see as the 'right' reasons).
One son in law has Leave voting members in his family. He loves them and they love him. An occasionally heated discussion took place, end of story. If people behave in the way you're describing, it's my strong view that relationships were not strong to begin with.
I never use the term snowflake, find it extremely offensive. So to describe young people in a positive way by saying "not a snowflake in sight" is equally offensive.
We are in the middle of a pandemic. We have a man who is either deranged/personality disordered/bonkers/out of control/ dangerous (take your pick) still in the White House with a number of days in which to continue to create chaos.
Brexit is done. I wish it wasn't and maybe one day things will change but for now, other than accepting its causing mayhem as was predicted, we live with it, as best we can.

merlotgran Sat 09-Jan-21 18:45:34

Best if I don't post some of the ones I've seen today who have been pretty damning and not mincing words about their DM reading mothers- some of them have had to take to drink

biba, Your comments make me think of my grandmother who took a very dim view of melodramatics.

If ever she thought I was playing the drama queen she'd snap, 'That's quite enough Sarah Siddons from you, young lady!' grin

MawBe Sat 09-Jan-21 18:46:26

biba70

Callistemon

Not a snowflake in sight.

well, sorry, but they are wonderful and very caring and intelligent. Just despair that their parents have voted to strip them of their rights, of their livelyhoods and future, and their security, and that of their children- those people's grandchildren. And just cannot bear the lack of awareness of such, lack of contrition and how the fear, distrust and even worse, of foreigners and everything foreign, is tainting and guiding their views.

Many who already live abroad and are now not sure what will happen next- and those who were planning to travel and now find that they can no longer- and that their parents are to blame.

They are upset, and no wonder.

What has this to do with octogenarians’ vaccination preferences?
Oh of course, it’s Brexit again -duh!
As for your quoted and how the fear, distrust and even worse, of foreigners and everything foreign, is tainting and guiding their views I have never read such tosh - insulting of everybody in the U.K. (but as you are British, presumably you exclude yourself )
It is a known fact that gleaning one’s information solely from the internet tends to reinforce prejudices, and my goodness this is completely borne out by what you describe which is totally at variance with what I and I expect most of us are seeing and experiencing in the U.K. today

I don’t expect you will accept first hand experience, though, preferring to give credence to your young friends that is, in their more sober moments.
Get real.

Rosie51 Sat 09-Jan-21 18:49:23

Best if I don't post some of the ones I've seen today who have been pretty damning and not mincing words about their DM reading mothers- some of them have had to take to drink.

Only their mothers, not their fathers?

well, sorry, but they are wonderful and very caring and intelligent.

I'm afraid they don't sound very caring to me, slagging their mothers off behind their backs. If I found out any of my children were doing this I'd be heartbroken.......firstly for the unkind comments and secondly because I had failed to teach them kindness and respect.

janeainsworth Sat 09-Jan-21 18:58:00

Iam64 ??

beverly10 Sat 09-Jan-21 19:02:21

Lucca. Having shares in a company is a sure way to make money.

biba70 Sat 09-Jan-21 19:10:03

MawBe

It can take a lot of (entitled) snowflakes ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️ to cover a ski run grin

I agree that the term is offensive.

biba70 Sat 09-Jan-21 19:12:06

Rosie51, would you be heartbroken if your children voted to make your life poorer, less free, and change your future forever. I think you would- especially if you tried to explain the consequences to them and how hard it would affect you, and they just ploughed ahead, regardless.

Lucretzia Sat 09-Jan-21 19:17:58

BIba70, people will adapt to this.

Humans always do.

I recall the chaos when we voted to enter the EEC. Lots of angry voices then as well.

Ditto the Euro. We were told time and time again that we'd be in a terrible state if we didn't adopt the currency.

Time passes. Things change. We adapt.

Especially the younger generation

I know a fair few and this is not an issue they are discussing

Most of them are intelligent enough to know when to let go. They look forward to making their way in a post covid world.

But Covid is what they're bothering about now. NotBrexit.

Chewbacca Sat 09-Jan-21 19:19:37

Excellent post Iam64, and I'm sure you speak for many of us.

biba

You seem to be singularly unlucky with your friends, young and old alike. The young ones appear, from what you've told us, to be perpetual victims of misfortune; poor, irresponsible and
neglectful parentage resulting in their offsprings dramatic reduction of all life has to offer. The older ones are selfish, self seeking, political luddites who can't see the impact that their ultra right wing, Brexit loving views are having on their offspring. I cannot recall knowing anyone irl who is as taxed as you are in regard to having poor friendship groups. Because I appear to be singularly luckier in friendships than you are (they're more tolerant, forgiving, broader minded and less likely to blame others for their misfortunes), you have my sympathy.

Kandinsky Sat 09-Jan-21 19:23:13

I’m not quite sure what to think about someone who is still angry about Brexit when over a 1000 people a day are dying in a pandemic.

Urmstongran Sat 09-Jan-21 19:26:20

This is a covert Brexit thread.
No more, no less.
Shoehorning the topic into something other is disingenuous.
?

Chewbacca Sat 09-Jan-21 19:27:31

Shoehorning the topic into something other is disingenuous.

Not to mention boring, repetitive and tedious. Or unexpected.

Rosie51 Sat 09-Jan-21 19:27:44

biba70 I know my children wouldn't deliberately, knowingly vote to make my life poorer in the ways you suggest. They might vote in a way I'd rather they didn't but they would be voting because of genuine belief that their vote was in the best interests of the wider community. None of it would excuse them bad-mouthing me behind my back, and I maintain that the young people you refer to are not caring or kind to do this to their mothers. And still I wonder why they single their mothers out for this treatment when presumably some of their fathers also voted that way.