Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

You couldn't make this up could you? Wonder how they voted... Elderly Britons are REFUSING Pfizer's vaccine because they'd rather 'wait for the English one' | Daily Mail Online

(290 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

biba70 Fri 08-Jan-21 12:08:50

this seems just crazy.

Iam64 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:22:21

Ahem, at the risk of being accused of cult like behaviour, I'm with MawB and janeainsworth on this one.

I confess mae culpa that I do read the Daily Wail on line. When I say read it, I suppose I mean I skim the headlines and occasionally read the recipes. I saw this headline and thought, eh up they're at it again, fake news and exaggeration are not confined the the Trump camp.

Charleygirl5 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:25:38

Well biba- I happen to trust janeainsworth and MawB two more well-read people than myself and also more intelligent.

Switzerland is a small country- has the entire country not been vaccinated yet or would the country like some help from our army? Have you got the numbers to hand?

biba70 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:25:58

Yes, reported in many different papers- and shared all over. Several friends have sent it to me- one a nurse, and one a GP.

Please, no accusation of 'do not bear false witness' - unless your can demonstrate that this is 'false witness'. Are you saying that this is not true? In which case, demonstrate, please.

BigBertha1 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:32:03

People with Lupus on immunosuppressants have been advised to wait for the Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine.

Callistemon Fri 08-Jan-21 14:32:09

Does it matter which friend it was
Well, not to us, of course, but we're always being told on GN that anyone who reads the Daily Mail is a bit suspect, not to be trusted, should come with a health warning, so perhaps you should be wary of who you make friends with biba.

I confess mae culpa that I do read the Daily Wail on line. When I say read it, I suppose I mean I skim the headlines and occasionally read the recipes. I saw this headline and thought, eh up they're at it again, fake news and exaggeration are not confined the the Trump camp.

I do look at the Daily Moan, as DD calls it, very occasionally, more when there is a link to an article posted on GN.

Sometimes I even read the Saturday DM as DH buys it on Saturdays for the TV times (and I do like Monty Don).
Should I confess that on GN?

Urmstongran Fri 08-Jan-21 14:36:34

A 95y old in my extended family had his second immunisation of the Pfizer vaccine earlier this week. Quite happy!
?

biba you do like to promote sensationalist viewpoints!

Urmstongran Fri 08-Jan-21 14:37:52

Be very careful Calli!
?

TwiceAsNice Fri 08-Jan-21 14:42:16

I will take whatever one is offered and although you can’t force people I think everyone should have it unless contraindicated health wise.

In the news yesterday it said 70 people were a no show for vaccinations at a Kent surgery. The staff phoned other people to come in so none were wasted. Apparently once it’s made ready to give there’s only a 2 hour window to use it or it has to be discarded. What a terrible waste that would be.

nadateturbe Fri 08-Jan-21 14:43:11

Haven't read the article..
I don't think it's right to say one's morher is stubborn because she won't do what you want.
She's exercising her right to choose.
I am very unsure about a vaccine that has been developed and tested so quickly.
I too have an auto immune condition and react to medication easily.
My husband plans to have it as soon as its offered. I don't.

TwiceAsNice Fri 08-Jan-21 14:43:43

By the way I read the Saturday Daily Mail and don’t mind who knows!

BBbevan Fri 08-Jan-21 14:46:35

There’s no pleasing some people is there?

biba70 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:47:33

How is this 'sensationalist'???

People are desperate to get the vaccine- and these people are just turning them down because they want 'the British one'? Shocking, yes.

Callistemon Fri 08-Jan-21 14:47:49

Urmstongran

Be very careful Calli!
?

Even the MOS sometimes - because DH likes the puzzles in the centre. It keeps him quiet for a bit.

Iam64 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:48:44

Good for you TwiceAsNice. My parents and parents in law took the Daily Wail. My father in law was a joy. He'd sit at the breakfast table, blood pressure rising as he read out something about some awful leftie London Borough giving money to naredowells. His son and daughter in law (me) would be almost weeping with laughter as we waited for his rant, a guaranteed daily event and always aimed at "those blinkin' lefties" - he almost added 'I don't mean you two" but never quite did.

MawBe Fri 08-Jan-21 14:50:13

Xxxxx Tue 05-Jan-21 09:58:44
Yes xxxxxxxx100% agree with you
One concern I do have is the long term effects of this 'rushed' vaccine! No one knows if this vaccine will cause any side effects in years to come.
Both companies of the vaccine have been granted protection from future product liability claims related to covid, meaning patients cant sue for damages! Ruud Dobber a member of Astras senior exect team said " This is a unique situation where we as a company cannot take the risk if in 4 years time the vaccine is showing side effects. In the contracts we have in place we are asking idemnification.
And we are being told the vaccine is safe

This appeared on GN just a few days ago.
I have redacted the names to spare blushes.

Is it altogether surprising if 10 old dears out of over 900 somewhere in the NE of England are sceptical.
I can’t find the exact posts but I clearly remember reading of 2 GN members who expressed scepticism of the Pfizer vaccine and said they would prefer to wait for the “Oxford one”.

Witzend Fri 08-Jan-21 14:54:23

I’d prefer the Oxford one, because it’s that much easier to store and so more likely to be available at my GP just down the road.

Plus it’s considerably less expensive - I read £3 per dose as opposed to £15. And I saw a (to me) very distasteful piece in the Times some time ago, saying that the owners of Pfizer etc. stood to make colossal amounts of money out of it.

I don’t suppose I’ll be give a choice, though.

Callistemon Fri 08-Jan-21 14:54:38

biba70

People are desperate to get the vaccine- and these people are just turning them down because they want 'the British one'? Shocking, yes.

It is sensationalism because, apparently, it was TEN people who said they would prefer the Oxford Astrazeneca vaccine.

1.26 million people have so far been vaccinated in England, proportionately ahead of most other countries.

Not all will be elderly but most are.

Callistemon Fri 08-Jan-21 14:57:03

Perhaps these ten elderly people had read all the research papers and had decided that they preferred the way in which the Oxford Astrazeneca vaccine works, which is slightly different to the way in which the Pfizer vaccine works.

merlotgran Fri 08-Jan-21 15:00:48

biba70

It would only be shocking if the vaccine was wasted.

I'm sure the people who received it instead have no complaints.

Kalu Fri 08-Jan-21 15:05:55

Thank you Casdon. The link shows this was reported in mainly North East of England local newspapers so not newspapers I was aware of or read.

biba70 Fri 08-Jan-21 15:19:13

There is of course a context to all this- and that is the number of sites opening for 'Buy British only'. Nothing wrong with this at all, apart that those sites are very anti EU, and very pro Brexit- and the comments on there have often been very unpleasantly nationalitic and bordering on jingoism and racism- with anyone openly remain being insulted and worse.

Callistemon Fri 08-Jan-21 15:23:45

What a load of predictable b*****s

Buy British Vaccines

Callistemon Fri 08-Jan-21 15:24:46

That is not an order btw

It's just a big SIGH

Witzend Fri 08-Jan-21 15:25:40

It’s getting very tedious, posters who drag the B word into everything.

millymouge Fri 08-Jan-21 15:28:45

We had our second Pfizer vaccination Wednesday after 3 weeks.. Was surprised and grateful to get it as some will not get it until 12 weeks. The doctor who gave it said that they felt it was the right thing to do as that was what was recommended.