Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

You couldn't make this up could you? Wonder how they voted... Elderly Britons are REFUSING Pfizer's vaccine because they'd rather 'wait for the English one' | Daily Mail Online

(290 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

biba70 Fri 08-Jan-21 12:08:50

this seems just crazy.

merlotgran Fri 08-Jan-21 15:29:08

I couldn't care less what's being said on other websites as I have no intentions of reading them.

Doodledog Fri 08-Jan-21 15:30:00

Surely people aren't being given a choice, when the vaccine is free and millions of people are waiting behind the refusers for immunisation?

I was at the GP surgery yesterday and overheard the receptionist say that they are sent vaccines daily and have to ring around to make appointments for people to get them. This is going to be hard work all round, not just for the receptionists, but for all the people administering the vaccines, and everyone else involved.

If this story is true, I don't think there should be any pandering to people wanting to pick and choose. Fine, if there are health reasons for getting one vaccine or another (as suggested by a doctor), but it shouldn't be a matter of personal choice.

Calendargirl Fri 08-Jan-21 15:32:16

Charleygirl5

To my knowledge, the only choice we have is to take it or leave it. I am happy to take the place of somebody who does not want it.

I picked up fish and chips yesterday and the owner has never had a flu jab and is certainly not having anything to do with the Astra Zenica vaccine because she does not know anybody who it has affected and/or they died. She did not understand when I said she could be asymptomatic and passing it on to her customers especially as she did not wear a mask. Folk never cease to amaze me. I would say she is mid to late 60's so no spring chicken.

I wouldn’t be buying any fish and chips from her.

blondenana Fri 08-Jan-21 15:34:27

Speaking to my sister this morning,she had just come home from having her Covid vaccination, she told the nurse she was allergic to some medicines, like penicillin, and some antibiotics
She was told she would be fine unless she had had the "pen" which is I assume the one used for severe reactions
My sister is younger than me [75] so I was surprised she had got it so soon, but is on meds for high blood pressure,and also waiting to go into hospital for a possible gall bladder operation, so maybe that is why she got in so soon
She is in theBlackpool area
The one she had was the Pfizer one,and has to go for the second jab in March

Casdon Fri 08-Jan-21 15:35:53

I know Kalu, I saw it in the Metro when I was looking for something else, but it does all go back to the same incident in the North East from what I could see.

Parsley3 Fri 08-Jan-21 15:42:46

Ah well, so “up to ten” police officers get a vaccine due to missed appointments.
Elderly people allegedly call the ‘Oxford’ vaccine the English one.
The DM article says that the Pfizer vaccine is more effective.
Clear evidence that we Brits are all doomed.

Chewbacca Fri 08-Jan-21 15:46:32

Wonder how they voted...

What's this got to do with old biddies and the vaccine? confused

Kalu Fri 08-Jan-21 15:47:16

It appears to be yet another sensational, attention grabbing piece by some, as opposed to factual reporting Casdon

Callistemon Fri 08-Jan-21 16:05:52

millymouge

We had our second Pfizer vaccination Wednesday after 3 weeks.. Was surprised and grateful to get it as some will not get it until 12 weeks. The doctor who gave it said that they felt it was the right thing to do as that was what was recommended.

Lucky you, millymouge, you must feel relieved.

No sign of the first one arriving here yet.

janeainsworth Fri 08-Jan-21 16:41:58

A propos of the voting mentioned in the thread title, after denouncing the ten elderly patients who didn’t have their vaccine, the article goes on to generally have a go at the speed with which the vaccine has been rolled out.
It then transpires that the doctor who disclosed this information about his patients to the Daily Mail is none other than the former Labour MP for Stockton-on-Tees.

Just fancy that!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 08-Jan-21 16:50:54

janeainsworth

A propos of the voting mentioned in the thread title, after denouncing the ten elderly patients who didn’t have their vaccine, the article goes on to generally have a go at the speed with which the vaccine has been rolled out.
It then transpires that the doctor who disclosed this information about his patients to the Daily Mail is none other than the former Labour MP for Stockton-on-Tees.

Just fancy that!

How surprising..............not!!!!!!!!

nadateturbe Fri 08-Jan-21 17:01:18

Like Mawbe I read some time ago about the protection from liability. It's not reassuring.

growstuff Fri 08-Jan-21 17:01:20

Have you looked at Dr Paul Williams' Wiki profile? It's just possible that he has an idea what he's talking about. hmm

MawBe Fri 08-Jan-21 17:12:10

biba70

There is of course a context to all this- and that is the number of sites opening for 'Buy British only'. Nothing wrong with this at all, apart that those sites are very anti EU, and very pro Brexit- and the comments on there have often been very unpleasantly nationalitic and bordering on jingoism and racism- with anyone openly remain being insulted and worse.

Fortunately I am totally unaware of such sites and fully intend to keep it that way
I cannot see how a “context” is provided, but if you want to find bull sh*t, I suppose the obvious place to go looking is in a field of cattle.
However like most people I can’t imagine how or why anybody would go looking for them confused

If you are talking about “Buy British” in the general sense, well that would make sense if imports are likely to be affected by delays resulting from Brexit.

growstuff Fri 08-Jan-21 17:12:49

That is such a typical Daily Mail article!

Most of it has nothing to do with the headline. Dr Williams mentions the patients who didn't want the Pfizer jab, but he wasn't responsible for anything else in the article.

It doesn't surprise me that some patients have turned down the Pfizer vaccine because there have been similar comments on GN. For all any of us know, some of those ten could have been GN posters. I've also seen comments on other social media about the "foreign" vaccine - as if the virus is the slightest bit bothered about national boundaries. If were a GP, working flat out to do the best for my patients, I'd be fairly miffed too.

growstuff Fri 08-Jan-21 17:16:34

Well, we better had all "buy British" because it seems that some big retailers like John Lewis have stopped shipping to the EU, so somebody will have to buy their goods.

PS. Unfortunately, as we all know, it's very easy to step in sh*t by mistake.

growstuff Fri 08-Jan-21 17:19:45

I don't suppose the context of yesterday's attack in America was important either!

I disagree with you Maw. Only the wilfully blinkered could be unaware of the context of what's going on in the UK.

LauraNorder Fri 08-Jan-21 17:23:30

There you go Biba, the cavalry have arrived, I’m sure the rest will be along soon.

BlueBelle Fri 08-Jan-21 17:27:54

Are we all told who makes the annual flu vaccine? I ve never been told or given any information bar roll your sleeve up please Do we all ask ? I ve never even thought about it
Maybe we are being given more information than we need

MawBe Fri 08-Jan-21 17:43:15

I disagree with you Maw. Only the wilfully blinkered could be unaware of the context of what's going on in the UK

I don’t think of myself as “wilfully blinkered” but am happy to have the error of my ways pointed out, Growstuff - so, a genuine and sincere question. How?
Which particular aspect of what is going on right now?
And how does it provide a context?
There will always be people who for reasons of personal prejudice, opt for strange (to us) choices. I don’t think it warrants a sensationalist headline.
Further, I do not understand this mention of the sites Biba refers to. Do you?
There may well be all sorts of weird websites out there, ranging from the bonkers to the obscene to the criminal.
I do not choose to visit them - does that make me blinkered or discriminating? In the same way that I choose not to read the red tops or their online versions, preferring the broadsheets .
Does that make me blinkered?
You see I don’t think so, if I gain my understanding of what is going on in the world from a range of media I think I am more likely to have a balanced view- is that wrong?

Or have I totally misunderstood Biba’s point?

MawBe Fri 08-Jan-21 17:46:19

growstuff

I don't suppose the context of yesterday's attack in America was important either!

I disagree with you Maw. Only the wilfully blinkered could be unaware of the context of what's going on in the UK.

And I sincerely hope you are not attempting to link yesterday’s debacle in Washington with this Covid vaccination story? gringrin

Definitely a link too far.

EllanVannin Fri 08-Jan-21 17:49:18

Moderna will be doing its rounds soon.

Chewbacca Fri 08-Jan-21 17:59:50

I'm actually genuinely surprised that anyone about to receive the vaccine would be a) bothered where it had come from just so long as they got it and b) that they would ge told which vaccine they were being given. As there are now 3 available, and they're all proven for efficacy, why would anyone ask in the first place?
and what on earth has this got to do with events in Washing DC this week

MayBee70 Fri 08-Jan-21 18:19:05

EllanVannin

Moderna will be doing its rounds soon.

Not for several months I believe.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 08-Jan-21 18:22:22

Yes, you could make it up. I know people like that. It would be nice to have the Oxford one, mainly because I worked in Oxford for twenty years and still live in Oxfordshire. But, I am happy to take whatever I’m offered.