Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

You couldn't make this up could you? Wonder how they voted... Elderly Britons are REFUSING Pfizer's vaccine because they'd rather 'wait for the English one' | Daily Mail Online

(290 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

biba70 Fri 08-Jan-21 12:08:50

this seems just crazy.

Callistemon Sat 09-Jan-21 13:03:29

Best if I don't post some of the ones I've seen today who have been pretty damning and not mincing words about their DM reading mothers- some of them have had to take to drink.

Thank goodness my children are better brought up than your young friends.
They sound quite dreadful, biba!

Poppyred Sat 09-Jan-21 13:04:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Poppyred Sat 09-Jan-21 13:06:40

Maggiemaybe Sat 09-Jan-21 13:27:39

Callistemon

^Best if I don't post some of the ones I've seen today who have been pretty damning and not mincing words about their DM reading mothers- some of them have had to take to drink^.

I'm not even sure who's taken to drink - the young folk or their mothers.

petra Sat 09-Jan-21 13:29:29

biba70
Are these young people who have turned to drink because their mothers read the DM ex students of yours?
They haven't exactly been prepared for the real world, have they.

Lucretzia Sat 09-Jan-21 13:30:43

Maggiemaybe

Callistemon

Best if I don't post some of the ones I've seen today who have been pretty damning and not mincing words about their DM reading mothers- some of them have had to take to drink.

I'm not even sure who's taken to drink - the young folk or their mothers.

It's going to be me turning to drink if I read any more of these insane posts from supposedly mature women with axes to grind

In my experience, the well brought up younger people in my world aren't remotely interested in any of this nonsense.

They're just getting on with living and doing their best to cope with adverse conditions due to this virus.

MawBe Sat 09-Jan-21 13:31:23

Best if I don't post some of the ones I've seen today who have been pretty damning and not mincing words about their DM reading mothers- some of them have had to take to drink

gringringrin
Frankly ridiculous - well actually beyond ridiculous!
Who has taken to drink? The young friends or the DM reading mothers? .
And to say they have had to take to drink
How on earth can anybody take this statement seriously. Nobody has to take to drink (if they did there might be an orderly queue on GN!)
Seriously alcoholism in the young is not something to joke about.

With respect Biba your young friends’ posts are of no consequence to me.
Does their youth automatically validate their comments-which according to you are extreme?
What are you doing reading and regurgitating their moans about their mothers?
I cannot believe this is not a wind-up!

Kandinsky Sat 09-Jan-21 13:32:52

I didn’t realise having a mother who read the daily mail was a reason for becoming an alcoholic - that’s a daily mail story in itself!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-Jan-21 13:34:30

Blimey ????????????????????

Poppyred Sat 09-Jan-21 13:35:43

????

Poppyred Sat 09-Jan-21 13:38:00

petra Sat 09-Jan-21 13:42:13

biba70
There you go. Why don't you contact the DM and tell them this awful situation where young well educated ? people are swigging it back because of their article.
I'm sure thousands would find it as hilarious as we do.

janeainsworth Sat 09-Jan-21 13:51:05

I wonder what these distraught young women who are driven to drink at the thought of their mothers reading the Daily Mail think about those who repost the DM’s articles on social media?

Lucretzia Sat 09-Jan-21 13:53:36

janeainsworth

I wonder what these distraught young women who are driven to drink at the thought of their mothers reading the Daily Mail think about those who repost the DM’s articles on social media?

Good point

We might be talking hard drugs

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-Jan-21 13:54:34

All the young folks I know, and I do know a lot have far more to witty about than their mothers reading The Daily Mail

Covid-19

Home schooling

Paying bills

Whether they will have a job at the end of lockdown

Trying to keep a relationship going in lockdown

The above are just a few I could think of which have been discussed by young folks that I know since latest lockdown

Chewbacca Sat 09-Jan-21 13:57:31

I'm teetotal but even I feel like having a quick snifter after reading this! It's just beyond ridiculous! gringringrin

Chewbacca Sat 09-Jan-21 14:02:44

You must know a similar group of young people to me GrannyGravy. The young parents in the school yard that I speak to on a daily basis speak of exactly those concerns. As do my DS and DIL. I've never heard them say anything other than that they can't wait for the vaccine to become available for them and their families. <<wanders off scratching head>>

MawBe Sat 09-Jan-21 14:48:20

It can take a lot of (entitled) snowflakes ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️ to cover a ski run grin

Callistemon Sat 09-Jan-21 14:48:34

janeainsworth

Oh goodness!
Bad enough to read the Saturday DM magazine clandestinely behind closed curtains but to let your DC know shock

I only read Monty Don's page and the TV times, dear, honestly.

PECS Sat 09-Jan-21 14:50:03

Oh my! My DDs are too busy working /homeschooling/ getting by to worry what I am reading.. but , to be fair, they would take to drink (more!) if they thought I was reading DM and believing it! Morning Star is more reliable imo. wink Nothing wrong with reading a wide range of media outlets.. it is good to challenge your own values and attitudes.

Callistemon Sat 09-Jan-21 14:53:38

Grannygravy
Absolutely.

"Hurrah for Gin"

Callistemon Sat 09-Jan-21 14:56:10

Mine are abstaining for January.
I expect DD will be on the phone shortly, making sure I'm not either reading the DM or on Gransnet, otherwise she will be running down to the offie.

growstuff Sat 09-Jan-21 15:35:36

Kandinsky

I didn’t realise having a mother who read the daily mail was a reason for becoming an alcoholic - that’s a daily mail story in itself!

During the last years of her life, I sometimes used to buy my mother the Daily Mail. I'm wondering if I should have gone to the newsagent in disguise, in case anybody spotted me and ever accuses me of being a Daily Mail reader. grin

PS. It never drove me to drink.

biba70 Sat 09-Jan-21 15:39:49

Callistemon

^Best if I don't post some of the ones I've seen today who have been pretty damning and not mincing words about their DM reading mothers- some of them have had to take to drink^.

Oh I can assure you they are very polite- the words they use are not swear words, I can assure you. And decent, hard-working young people with eyes, hearts and minds opened. Not a snowflake in sight.

staca Sat 09-Jan-21 15:41:07

Elderly people are quite capable of conducting their own research and voicing their concerns without being branded as stupid old dears. They are also able to negotiate the pages of the Daily Mail without developing a fascist rash,
There are questions about the Pfizer Vaccination with the new RNA bio technology which may take years to answer. For example: how it will sit with future RNA cancer treatments or future vaccines against more virulent mutations. Younger people are also concerned about fertility. Do we really know?