Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

We need to take control

(115 Posts)
Esspee Sat 09-Jan-21 08:39:55

I haven’t seen any report of this in our newspapers but China is presently battling a fresh outbreak of Covid in Shijiazhuang and has placed 11 million residents in lockdown.

5,000 test sites have been set up and everyone in the city will be tested. Going from previous experience in Wuhan that should take about 10 days.

Residents cannot leave the city and police in hazmat suits are guarding the entrances to the motorway. (See photo)

Lockdown in China is serious business, nothing like the U.K. version.

On Thursday the new cases reported in the province in which Shijiazhuang is situated amounted to just 120 cases, all but one in the city itself.

Compare this to the UK’s handling of the pandemic here.

One year after it all kicked off and we still haven’t closed our borders. Residents are still jetting off on holiday and there is little in place to ensure anyone complies with quarantine on their return. Everyone invents their own version of “the rules” and almost nothing is done to challenge people not wearing masks indoors in public places.

China is in control of the pandemic. NZ is in control. We need to learn from other countries and stop the spread now.

To hell with personal Liberty.

Hetty58 Sat 09-Jan-21 08:44:34

Spot on, Esspee!

Still, even now, I despair at how many folk just don't 'get it'. I don't believe they will, either - until they lose loved ones.

Lucca Sat 09-Jan-21 08:48:09

Good luck with that idea here! I agree the enforcement has been non existent. Why are garden centres open ? Why are places of worship open? Why can’t shops insist on masks ? Why are the borders open ?
It’s no good issuing sound bites (we are all in this together etc) and three word slogans. I wish to bid I hadn’t read the news this morning.

Lucca Sat 09-Jan-21 08:49:54

By the way I’m not talking about silly discussions over how often the dog gets a walk, I mean people being inside with others in the places I’ve mentioned plus private parties etc.

kittylester Sat 09-Jan-21 08:59:10

Whilst passing no comment on how the government is managing the pandemic, I think comparing China and the UK is like comparing apples and oranges.

sodapop Sat 09-Jan-21 08:59:15

Yes and we could make Witty, Hancock et al disappear without trace as well.

EllanVannin Sat 09-Jan-21 09:03:11

A bit late in the day now, isn't it ?

This country doesn't know the meaning of being disciplined !
Told what to do ?----no chance !
The anti-freedom brigade are everywhere. It doesn't take much in this country to form a crowd/ gathering to protest about something.

Did anyone other than myself see this coming ?

growstuff Sat 09-Jan-21 09:06:06

Do you mean the freedom brigade?

Galaxy Sat 09-Jan-21 09:07:51

It wont work in this country and I am not sure I would want it to.

David0205 Sat 09-Jan-21 09:08:36

We should all be much more careful about spreading virus, exercising locally means different things to many of us, if you have a big dog you may need to drive a little way to exercise. We are hearing about 2 women in Derbyshire fined for traveling 5 miles, maybe that was too far, but £200 fine each was over the top, they should just have been warned and sent home.
Generally the Police and Civil Enforcement Officers should make sure we are sensible and not traveling unless we really need to.

growstuff Sat 09-Jan-21 09:13:05

Sometimes I just can't help myself and I revert to teacher-mode. My mind goes back to those pupils who broke the rules just because they could (that's what teenagers do) and complained "it's not fair", "you can't do that", "you don't have any right", "but he/she did it ..." etc etc. Rights and responsibility are two sides of the same coin, unless people want draconian rules imposed. Teenagers have to learn that, but I would have hoped most adults would have understood it.

growstuff Sat 09-Jan-21 09:13:55

David0205

We should all be much more careful about spreading virus, exercising locally means different things to many of us, if you have a big dog you may need to drive a little way to exercise. We are hearing about 2 women in Derbyshire fined for traveling 5 miles, maybe that was too far, but £200 fine each was over the top, they should just have been warned and sent home.
Generally the Police and Civil Enforcement Officers should make sure we are sensible and not traveling unless we really need to.

Derbyshire Police is now reviewing its fixed penalty procedures.

Iam64 Sat 09-Jan-21 09:14:15

I read about those two women in Derbyshire. They were very keen to get their photographs in the paper, holding the cardboard drink cups they'd bought to enjoy when they met. I wonder who notified the press and why? As David0205 says, the police are generally unlikely to over react. They have issued notices though, saying they plan to fine rather than warn people who drive a distance to a beauty spot, rather than staying closer to home.

growstuff Sat 09-Jan-21 09:17:12

Generally, the UK has policing by consensus. It's something I've always valued about the UK, but sometimes the balance tips over. It relies on the majority of people towing the line, but there are times when people ignore the common good and balance and the police have the difficult job of restoring the equilibrium.

tickingbird Sat 09-Jan-21 09:18:15

The two ladies concerned were rather glamorous and in full make up. Screams set up to me. We do live in an age where some people are willing to do almost anything for their 15 minutes of fame.

growstuff Sat 09-Jan-21 09:18:43

Iam64

I read about those two women in Derbyshire. They were very keen to get their photographs in the paper, holding the cardboard drink cups they'd bought to enjoy when they met. I wonder who notified the press and why? As David0205 says, the police are generally unlikely to over react. They have issued notices though, saying they plan to fine rather than warn people who drive a distance to a beauty spot, rather than staying closer to home.

That's my feeling too, but it does seem the story has resulted in Derbyshire Police reviewing its procedures. It's a storm in a (peppermint) tea cup.

growstuff Sat 09-Jan-21 09:20:27

sodapop

Yes and we could make Witty, Hancock et al disappear without trace as well.

If a two week draconian proper lockdown worked, they could come out of it as heroes.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 09-Jan-21 09:23:52

I'm with you all the way. Almost a year ago I remember watching how countries such as China dealt with the infection and feeling this was no ordinary virus. To be honest this is probably the old strain to.
I know it has been said that countries that have succeeded in controlling the virus have more experience of SARS or more compliant citizens.etc. There was an interesting article on how strict isolation is on entry to New Zealand. They try and make it as pleasant as possible but you are even told not to touch communal items.
How have we ended up where we are? A government that is arrogant? Stupid? Incompetent?
From the start they have got it wrong. They have failed to learn or act on lessons from the first wave.
A fair proportion of people seem outraged the rest would still elect them.
Cronyism is still rife with the contract for school laptops been given to a tory donor. I have no doubt that donations offered from companies would be cast aside.
Yesterday when the news was announced about grounding flights one of the officials in charge of airports commented it shouldn't go on for long. Whilst appreciating the impact on the industry I couldnt help but wonder what bit of global pandemic he didnt understand. This isnt being done for fun.
Throughout the pandemic Independent Sage and other scientists have calmly suggested what could be done and the implications if it wasnt. The government of course have ignored,delayed, U turned until we are in the position we are in now which is grim,very grim.
I think the government have decided the vaccine would save the day. Apparently if everyone who was vulnerable had already received the vaccine we would still be up the proverbial creek.
Yesterday for the first time since the pandemic was announced my stomach did a little flip of fear.
The vaccine on it's own is not enough. The more infections rage through the country the higher the chance of the virus mutating and becoming resistant.
If the government go against the grain and do effectively roll out the vaccine life is not going to change any time soon. The only vague good news is the Moderna vaccine being approached and being available in a few months. Apparently if we hadnt left the EU we would have it sooner.
I really dont know what it will take for this government to be held to account. It's often said what America does today the UK follows.
Arguably Johnson is a mini Trump. A populist PM who was in wrong place at wrong time. With both it has taken years of people being aghast at what they seem to get away with.
Trump has finally been recognized for what he is. What will it take for the same to happen to Johnson. How many more people will die,become seriously ill or suffer incredible financial or emotional hardship before we acknowledge what he is?

Esspee Sat 09-Jan-21 09:24:05

kittylester. If you feel it is unfair to compare the UK’s handling of the pandemic with China, how about New Zealand which I mentioned in my OP?

tickingbird Sat 09-Jan-21 09:24:54

Also, in answer to the OP, I would not want to be locked down under China’s regime. Be careful what you wish for and be grateful for the freedoms you take for granted. Doubtless this government could have managed this pandemic better but if anyone believed the original figures that came out of China at the beginning, and how low they were, they’d be very gullible I’m afraid.

Woodmouse Sat 09-Jan-21 09:34:11

I have no desire to follow anything which China does.

Esspee Sat 09-Jan-21 09:35:01

I don’t for a minute believe the early Chinese figures tickingbird but their ability to get the pandemic under control cannot be denied. New Zealand has done a wonderful job by forcing people to quarantine under supervision. While that country continues to enjoy life as normal we are condemned to a cycle of ineffective lockdowns because they are not enforced.

Peasblossom Sat 09-Jan-21 09:46:06

Dare I say the New Zealand attitude to life is a bit different. They take responsibility for themselves and their actions, they understand the difference between what they need to do and what they want, and they don’t keep whinging “but that’s not fair for meeeeee.”

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-Jan-21 09:56:54

For the last 10 days China has consistently denied the WHO investigation team entry to the Country. Thereby denying them the opportunity to investigate the Covid-19 breeding ground in Huwan.

The population of New Zealand is 4.886 million and it is 268,838 sq km. The population of the UK is 66 million and it is 243,610 sq km which makes the UK 90.62% the size of NZ.

The two countries are non-comparable.

There are too many folks in the U.K. thinking that the little thing that they do, whether it be an extra walk, an extra trip to the shops or a quick coffee with a safe friend/relative is ok as it's just them. Unfortunately if you multiply that by thousands if not millions it is easy to see why our Covid-19 infections are as high as they are!

tickingbird Sat 09-Jan-21 09:59:42

I do agree the lockdowns here are too lax, especially this one. Far too many people coming and going as they please. I see all around me evidence of people ignoring the rules or is it guidance? I lose track but I do adhere to what I believe keeps me safe.