Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Asian Lockdown

(98 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 10-Jan-21 20:35:44

I said this in March. I've said it somewhere on here this week (and last week, and...)

Stricter coronavirus lockdown measures such as those enforced in Asia should be introduced in the UK to stop the spread of the virus, experts have reportedly suggested.

Stricter measures should include the closure of places of worship as well as compulsory mask-wearing in order to stop the spread of the new COVID variant sweeping across the country, several experts have said.

Anthony Costello, a professor of global health at UCL and a former WHO director, told the Mirror: “We are in a national crisis with a pandemic out of control.

“We should have no nurseries open, no synagogues, no churches, no mosques. We should have compulsory masks, two-metre distancing. We have to take this really seriously – that’s what Asian states did.”

According to the newspaper, his comments were echoed by Christina Pagel, professor of operational research at University College London, who has previously questioned the efficacy of the latest lockdown.

She told the Mirror: “We have to start thinking about mandatory isolation, like in China and Vietnam. We have lots of empty hotels. We could use that space.”

uk.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-experts-call-asia-style-lockdown-175939584.html

Greeneyedgirl Mon 11-Jan-21 12:41:32

I tried ft article link growstuff but was behind paywall.

annodomini Mon 11-Jan-21 13:30:48

When I rang my dentist to change an appointment, I was surprised to find that they were open. When they re-opened in July, their precautions were impressive and the dentist himself was so covered in PPE that his own mother wouldn't have know him. No waiting inside, temp taken and hands on entry. I do hope they stay open now, as a filling has been waiting for a crown for a very long time.

annodomini Mon 11-Jan-21 13:31:41

hands on entry hands sanitised on entry, of course!

Bopeep14 Mon 11-Jan-21 13:50:55

Our dentist is only seeing private patients.
Friend of mine who uses the same dentist lost a filling and was told to go to the chemist an get a temporary filling kit.
My last checkup was December 2019.

Sparklefizz Mon 11-Jan-21 14:10:55

Callistemon

^Stricter coronavirus lockdown measures such as those enforced in Asia should be introduced in the UK to stop the spread of the virus, experts have reportedly suggested.^

Of course, if China took stricter control over what can be sold in their wet markets, this mutated virus and others may not have jumped species then mutated to human --> human transmission.

Stable doors and horses come to mind.

Spot on Callistemon

M0nica Mon 11-Jan-21 14:18:13

Many of the Asian countries mentioned above (China apart) are relatively small countries with a history of communist domination, with all its horrors, think Cambodia and Pol Pot (Year Zero). These countries, apart from small populations, with their recent history of oppression are likely to be much more compliant than countries like those in Western Europe and North America with their long history of democracy and personal autonomy.

Their social organisation is very different, mainly small village and small town communities in a country with limited welfare, in such communities there is a lot of peer pressure at a personal level to act as the community wills.

Finally, as we know from so many fields of endeavour. It is easy to get something to work on a small scale, that fails completely when it is scaled up and I think the same thing applies here. Just because something works when a country has 8 million inhabitants, does not mean it will work in a country whose population is 80 million.

MayBee70 Mon 11-Jan-21 14:24:12

I don’t see how taking strong measures turns us into a totalitarian state. Surely we must just do everything in our power to control this virus and get back to some sort of normality. I mean, a while ago it was assumed the British public wouldn’t wear masks.

MayBee70 Mon 11-Jan-21 14:25:11

And other European countries have curfews and have complete lock downs.

MayBee70 Mon 11-Jan-21 14:28:53

In fact, the reason why lockdowns don’t work is that we don’t have a decent track and trace system, we don’t back trace and until now we’ve just let infected people into the country. And just politely ask people to self quarantine.Even now people have to take a test 72 hours before coming to the country which gives them a couple of days to pick up the virus before they arrive. At every stage the government have got it wrong.

growstuff Mon 11-Jan-21 14:39:59

Greeneyedgirl

I tried ft article link growstuff but was behind paywall.

Oh! Sorry! I didn't think it was. Maybe it was one of my month's free articles. I'll go back to it and maybe paste a few quotes (if that's allowed).

growstuff Mon 11-Jan-21 14:46:20

MayBee70

I don’t see how taking strong measures turns us into a totalitarian state. Surely we must just do everything in our power to control this virus and get back to some sort of normality. I mean, a while ago it was assumed the British public wouldn’t wear masks.

I agree. People don't moan when the government takes away other rights. They're bleating about human rights now because they see their human rights (aka doing what they damn well please) being affected. There is no reason why everybody behaving in a way which respects others means that a totalitarian state is being imposed.

growstuff Mon 11-Jan-21 14:49:48

Bopeep14

Our dentist is only seeing private patients.
Friend of mine who uses the same dentist lost a filling and was told to go to the chemist an get a temporary filling kit.
My last checkup was December 2019.

My NHS dentist is still seeing NHS patients. In fact, I rang up on Friday to postpone an appointment for a couple of months until I feel safer and have been vaccinated. There wasn't any problem, although I might regret what I've done, if lockdown becomes any stricter.

growstuff Mon 11-Jan-21 14:51:35

annodomini

When I rang my dentist to change an appointment, I was surprised to find that they were open. When they re-opened in July, their precautions were impressive and the dentist himself was so covered in PPE that his own mother wouldn't have know him. No waiting inside, temp taken and hands on entry. I do hope they stay open now, as a filling has been waiting for a crown for a very long time.

One of my teeth has had a "temporary" filling for about five years, but it's still going strong. There isn't much actual tooth left and I'm putting off having it extracted.

Tweedle24 Wed 13-Jan-21 22:10:34

My dentist has been open for emergencies only since March.

Nansnet Thu 14-Jan-21 08:10:20

MayBee70

MayBee70, I totally agree. I think it's the only way forward to enable us all to get back to some kind of normality.

I do, however, also appreciate what MOnica says, that Asian countries are more likely to be more compliant than Western countries, when faced with lockdowns, and stricter rules. However, most of us must surely agree that the lax rules/restrictions, which many governments have imposed upon their citizens, are simply not working!

Frankly, I for one would welcome stricter rules/restrictions, because I'm sick and tired of people interpreting things to suit themselves (or are they really so stupid that they don't understand them?!), and rules not being properly enforced. The longer people carry on like this, the longer we're all going to have to put up with this awful situation, and many more of us are going to lose our loved ones!

The statistics speak for themselves ...

Thailand - Population 69.63M - 10,991K cases/67 deaths
Vietnam - Population 96.46M - 1521K cases/35 deaths
UK - Population 66.65M - 3.21M cases/84.767K deaths!!!shock sad

So, should we have stricter coronavirus lockdown measures such as those enforced in Asian countries? Absolutely, yes!

Gooseinn Thu 14-Jan-21 08:52:33

Oh, I am so tired of all this situation. When it will just end?

Fennel Thu 14-Jan-21 15:55:07

Late to this thread, but Nansnet's figures are so relevant.
Our eldest and wife live in Thailand ( previously Kuwait) where the Thais readily accept restrictions. But also a small population.
Things changed there a few weeks ago when the virus was brought back in by visitors so back in lockdown.
They haven't seen their teenage children for ages - they're at school and university in the UK.

Rosie51 Thu 14-Jan-21 17:09:37

GagaJo

They also had a very hard lockdown. And things there are back to normal. I have lots of friends in China. All living normal lives, OTHER than being able to fly back to Europe.

Of course, they have been getting the vaccine there for months, so even where there were pockets of virus, it is under control.

A couple of Brit friends there had the Sino vaccine in a sports stadium a few weeks ago. Thousands of people passing through a line of medics.

I have said all along we needed to lockdown properly. I still think it.

GagaJo, they may have been getting the vaccine for months but haven't managed to vaccinate much of their population. For once the UK is 4th best in the world, and way ahead of them in per capita numbers.

ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

so much useful data on this site. If you click on the map box you can check out the country of your choice.

GagaJo Thu 14-Jan-21 17:11:36

That is great for the UK! Lovely to be ahead for once.

Rosie51 Fri 15-Jan-21 00:22:28

GagaJo Oh I don't think it's the only time the UK has been ahead, but nice that you acknowledge it. Sometimes you give the impression ( which may very well not be intended) of thinking anywhere is better than the UK. Of course "normal" in China isn't exactly the same as the free "normal" in the western world, but I'm happy for your friends. I assume there aren't any pesky Uihgurs amongst them? You know those people who need "educating" in special camps.

GagaJo Fri 15-Jan-21 00:33:27

Mostly Han friends. Lovely people. One is a surrogate daughter.

Glad the UK is vaccinating quickly. My mum hasnt had hers yet. She's 84. Soon hopefully.

Rosie51 Fri 15-Jan-21 00:47:03

I hope so GagaJo. There does seem to be a variation over the whole country doesn't there? The problem is until there's a sufficient supply of the AstraZenica vaccine that doesn't require exceptional storage facilities there's bound to be logistical difficulties in getting vaccines to the most vulnerable. I truly hope you'll soon be posting that your mum has had her first dose! Just wish my mum and dad had made it to that age to need vaccination ! Take care x