Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Vaccine for international travel?

(84 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 14-Jan-21 07:32:27

I think it is a great idea. Maybe a vaccine AND a covid test (covid test required now where I am AND for the UK I think). It would require everyone to have access to the vaccine of course.

Requiring everyone who wishes to go overseas to have been vaccinated against Covid-19 is a path towards discrimination, according to the head of the World Travel and Tourism Council.

Gloria Guevara, chief executive of the industry body, criticised the approach by Australian airline Qantas, whose boss, Alan Joyce, suggested passengers would need a jab before they can board one of its international services.

“We should never require the vaccination to get a job or to travel,” she said. “I totally disagree with the approach from Qantas. If you require the vaccination before travel, that takes us to discrimination.”

The chief executive of AirAsia, Tony Fernandes, supported Guevara, and added that global testing measures are the way to unlock travel.

However, according to a survey conducted by Qantas, 87 per cent of respondents said they would be happy to take the coronavirus vaccine if it was demanded for international travel, while 85 per cent thought it should be required for travel to “at least some countries”.

A 2020 report by the Ada Lovelace Institute, an independent research body, stated that the introduction of ‘vaccine passports’ could “pose extremely high risks in terms of social cohesion, discrimination, exclusion and vulnerability.”

uk.news.yahoo.com/travel-latest-news-mandatory-vaccine-081612096.html

Skyblue2 Sat 16-Jan-21 18:01:37

I think there is a misplaced confidence in vaccines. These particular ones are more of a medical intervention to prevent someone getting severe symptoms. It does not prevent someone getting the virus or from passing it to others. You could get a vaccine, travel and pick up the virus abroad, come back and pass it on to others.

Lizbethann55 Sat 16-Jan-21 18:15:44

Yes. You do need vaccines to enter certain countries. I had a yellow fever one before going to Rwanda a few years ago. Although, as was pointed out to me, it was really needed so that I could come out safely rather than go in. But , the thing is, there were not literally millions of people desperate to get that vaccine. If they continue with the idea of needing the Covid vaccine before going abroad I hope it doesn't become a case of people choosing to holiday overseas being able to jump the queue and have it ahead of those of us who are sensible enough to stay here for the time being , just in order to get away for a couple of weeks.

Lucca Sat 16-Jan-21 18:20:42

Is there any suggestion that people could jump the queue to go abroad ?? Where ?
I think a bit of calm down dear is needed here.

annodomini Sat 16-Jan-21 19:41:23

When we left Kenya in 1970, there was a minor outbreak of cholera in a very remote part of the country, but nevertheless, we had to have a cholera vaccination certificate to be allowed to re-enter UK. As I was then 5 months pregnant, I was a bit dubious, but there was no way out. I already had certificates for smallpox and yellow fever vaccinations. I would not object to having to show certification for my Covid 19 vaccination, if I were required to show it for a desirable holiday destination.

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 19:56:10

How Lizbethann?

When you are next in the queue that is when you will get the vaccine.

Unless there are vaccines left at the end of a session in which case those who are working/volunteering may have one, but that's unfair enough.

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 19:56:56

I typed fair enough - that is what I meant

Daftbag1 Sat 16-Jan-21 22:08:29

For the foreseeable future you will not be able to purchase a vaccine, and I believe there would be something very wrong with a system that prioritised someone based on their holiday plans. Remember we are not talking of a one dose for life vaccine here, as fast as vaccines are being given, it's going to be time to give a booster to the individuals.

susieq3 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:35:51

Why not make it mandatory To have the vaccine and then we all know where we are.
annodomini said she had to have the cholera vaccine to be allowed back into the u.k in 1970 If that could be enforced why can’t this one.