Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Suffering Covid

(88 Posts)
maddyone Thu 14-Jan-21 15:03:16

Hello everyone, I just want to say first of all, a huge thank you to so very many of you who have sent me good wishes on the threads, or by PM. I simply cannot reply to you all, but I’ve been very touched by your care and concern and the wonderful good wishes expressed. Some of you have asked that I write down my experiences as there are some people on here apparently who still don’t believe about this terrible virus.

Well it started because my elderly mother fell and was admitted to hospital. She had sustained two small intracranial bleeds and when she was discharged home, unfortunately she had become infected with the virus during her time in hospital. She wasn’t on a Covid ward, it was just one of those things. Unfortunately we were told she didn’t need to self isolate because she had two negative tests before discharge, and so my husband went round to help her as she’s in our bubble. I had decided I would not visit, the carers could do everything but my husband is kind and rarely thinks of himself, he saw she had a need to have a table moved due to her new Walker. Well when he arrived she was already ill again and was taken back to hospital. It turned out that she now tested positive for Covid. Unfortunately in the 40 minutes he spent with her and her carer at the flat, he picked it up and brought it home to me. Both my husband and my mother, despite her great age, were not very ill at all, and neither required any medical interventions. Mum was sent off to a cottage hospital to rest, recuperate, and rehabilitate. Meanwhile I became ill, increasingly so with each day that passed. I suffer with asthma which obviously made the situation worse. We both got a test, both positive on Christmas Day. Frankly I was too ill to care. We didn’t open gifts or eat any food. I was just ill.

By the 1st of January I was deteriorating badly. I had been put into a ‘virtual Covid ward’ where I was being monitored at home for any deterioration, and my husband had to keep ringing up my sats.My son had been to the Covid Hub to collect the necessary equipment and brought it to his Dad. The main thing is something you wear on your finger and it tells you the oxygen saturation, which is the most crucial information. My saturation dropped dangerously to between 80 to 86 and it was at this point the the Virtual Ward decided I needed to be admitted. The ambulance arrived and I was taken into hospital at 9.00 at night. I had to wait in the ambulance for thee hours before I went inside the hospital. I was never left at any point, the ambulance men and also nurses, doctors and other staff were with me all the time and already actively treating and monitoring me. When I went into the hospital I was immediately taken for a chest X-ray. I was already on 40% oxygen support and I had a cannula set up and blood taken and so much active care. It turned out that I had viral pneumonia and possibly blood clots on the lungs, but I had to wait for a CT scan to discover that. My treatments were lots, anti viral infusions, anti viral antibiotics, oxygen, blood thinners, a drug to break up the fluid in my tubes which made me feel I was drowning, high dose steroids, asthma drugs delivered via nebuliser because I couldn’t breathe them in normally.

Marydoll Thu 14-Jan-21 19:44:02

Maddyone, sending my very best wishes for your recovery. You certainly have been through the mill. ?

Your message about having an advocate is a very important one. When I was in hospital last week, I was able to inform staff that my husband, if necessary, was legally able to make medical decisions on my behalf, and that the paperwork had been registered with my GP. Some people leave it until they are unable to make that choice.

I hope the Covid doubters read your very graphic and powerful message and take heed.

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 14-Jan-21 19:57:24

I echo Marydoll's comment about doubters reading about your experience.

Is there any possibility you can post about your ordeal in other places?

Glad you are over the worst.

Iam64 Thu 14-Jan-21 21:02:12

Welcome back Maddyone and thanks so much for writing so clearly about your experiences of this virus. Its really brought home the ease with which this virus spreads and the damage it can cause. Thank goodness for the care you were given by the NHS.
You are going to need to convalesce. Lots and lots of rest, an even better diet than usual and more rest.

I hope you and your family are soon feeling much better.

westendgirl Thu 14-Jan-21 22:16:39

Thank you so much for sharing your moving story.

I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery. Do look after yourself and rest as much as possible.

Best wishes too to your family .

AllotmentLil Thu 14-Jan-21 22:53:07

Thankyou so much for sharing all of this, it can’t have been easy for you to write it all. thanksflowers

GillT57 Thu 14-Jan-21 23:22:31

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, to me it hit home more than any govt warnings. I have bought an oxygen saturation monitor for £20 and it is now in our medical box. Just for peace of mind and to save any doubt. So glad you are home and wish you well.

Namsnanny Thu 14-Jan-21 23:27:26

maddyone ...I'm so glad you are on the road to recovery.
What a terrifying experience for you, and your family.
How wonderful our NHS is.

Do you mind if I ask a couple of questions?

Did they tell you if the Covid you had was the new strain?

What was the time frame between visiting your Mum and having a positive Covid test?

Please dont feel you have to reply, I can understand you must want to concentrate on you recovery from now on.
flowers

lemongrove Thu 14-Jan-21 23:35:11

Just want to echo what others say maddy and also to say take your time to get well.My DH had very similar last Dec which I think could have been Covid ( they were perplexed at the time) and in hospital for a while, with four/five days in an ICU ward.He was told it would take a minimum of three months to recover fully but actually it was more six months and even now he tires very easily and needs more sleep.

Chewbacca Thu 14-Jan-21 23:36:23

Maddyone the account and details that you've given are both informative and contain vitally important information for any one of us who finds ourselves in the same situation. Thank you for being so open about your ordeal. I wish you the very best for a complete recovery.

Marydoll Thu 14-Jan-21 23:38:34

I have an oximeter, because of my COPD, bought on the advice of the British Lung Foundation away back in March.
When I was in hospital last week, staff kept repeating my SAT'S because they were so low.
I was able to tell them my usual reading at home, using the oximeter, was actually lower than the hospital ones.
Panic over!

Kim19 Thu 14-Jan-21 23:44:00

Hello M, first things first ?. So glad you are still here to tell the tale and..... what a tale it is. Your eloquence and blow by blow are the most stunning and detailed description I have read anywhere. Had to smile a little at your mention of dignity in the midst of your suffering. Well done. I can relate to that even though, in reality, it is a tad foolish. I wish there was a way your experiences related here could be seen by a much wider audience. My experience of GN suggests that someone will know how to make that possible. Again, M, so delighted with your survival and look forward to your progress report in a few weeks. Thank you.

cornergran Thu 14-Jan-21 23:52:12

Thank you maddyone. it’s not easy recalling such a frightening time. I’m so pleased you are recovering. Rest and mend now.

merlotgran Thu 14-Jan-21 23:54:19

My very best wishes for a continued recovery, maddyone, What a terrifying experience you have had.

You have reminded us all that this nightmare is still very much with us.

Spinnaker Fri 15-Jan-21 00:16:59

Maddyone I can only echo what everyone else before me has said. For you and your family it must have been terrifying to go through - please take care and recover at your own pace flowers

BrightandBreezy Fri 15-Jan-21 00:32:41

Thank you for sharing your terrible experience of Covid so graphically. Like others, I can't understand the Covid deniers. This virus is so vicious. No one knows how it might affect them and the fact that some are totally asymptomatic and therefore naturally going to work ext as usual is frightening when it spreads so easily to others.

My sil had it last April without first showing any of the usual signs of this disease first. She had been perfectly well, sitting watching tv when she suddenly collapsed. Her husband thought she had just fallen asleep but a closer look showed she was unconscious. She needed revived by medics and was taken to hospital, where the next day she collapsed again. She was then tested for Covid and it turned out she had had a mini stroke caused by the virus. She is a fit, slim, active 63 year old who had previously had no health problems at all. She is still having hospital appointments as a result. We just can't be too careful in trying to avoid this horrible virus.

Hope you are feeling a little better every day Maddyone flowers

LauraNorder Fri 15-Jan-21 01:20:15

Thank you Maddy for sharing what must have been the most harrowing experience. It’s so important that your message is spread, this disease is horrendous.
I’m glad that you are on the mend and that your husband and mother have come through unscathed.
Take it easy and take the medical advice.
Hope you now get stronger day by day flowersflowers

GrandmasueUK Fri 15-Jan-21 01:45:53

Thank you maddyone for sharing this terrible experience with us. I’m so glad you are on the road to recovery, I’m sure it will take a while. Please look after yourself. ?

Whiff Fri 15-Jan-21 04:53:08

Maddyone I wish the people who say there is no such thing as Covid would read you experience. How frightening for you and your family. You have a long journey ahead of you to full health but you sound a very determined woman and have the love and support of your family to help you. I wish you all the best and thank you for your bravery in telling your story it can't have been easy. ?????

maddyone Fri 15-Jan-21 18:38:30

Hello everyone, a massive thank you for all your messages of support and I’m pleased that my experiences have helped you understand the awful nature of this disease. I truly hope not a single one of you has to experience what I have experienced, and remember many people are more badly affected than me.

Unfortunately going forward is definitely not a straight line. I was discharged from hospital feeling positive and knowing that my lungs were recovering. Unfortunately I have now developed what I thought was the awful Covid diarrhoea, but I have just this minute got off the phone to my GP who says after all the antibiotics I had in the hospital, I may have contracted a hospital acquired infection. Years ago I had CDiff so I guess it could possibly be something like that. Anyway my dear husband has just gone rushing up to the surgery to collect a pot for a sample which I must put in tomorrow morning and my husband has to take it then to the hospital. The surgery closes in fifteen minutes so he needs to get there quickly. My GP also has prescribed a medication to stop the awful cramps that are causing me so much pain, and suggested Dioralyte to keep my fluids balanced and electrolytes as they should be. When I went into hospital I hadn’t been eating or drinking and my fluids were all over the place. I had infusions and then later potassium drinks for several days and it seemed to put things right. It all goes to show that the progression of this disease is uncertain and many other variables can come into play.

I was aware that I was going in the wrong direction and luckily phoned the GP. He has advised any deterioration over the weekend straight back to 111. I felt far better when I came home on Tuesday than I do now.

Anyway, it’s onwards and upwards. If it’s a hospital acquired infection at least I know it can be treated. And at home where I am most comfortable. I’ll let you know when I know more.
Stay safe everyone.

MissAdventure Fri 15-Jan-21 18:45:33

thanks

Glad to hear you're out of hospital, maddy, though it sounds like it's going to be a long haul for you.

It's so unpredictable, so keep an eye on yourself.

Antonia Fri 15-Jan-21 18:52:37

That you, Maddyone for sharing your awful experience of Covid. You have had such a rough time, so please take care of yourself. flowers

maddyone Fri 15-Jan-21 18:53:46

Thank you MissAdventure and stay safe.

Marydoll
I especially wanted to say to you that I was so pleased to see that you had been discharged from hospital following your heart attack, and I hope you are recovering at home, and able to shield again. As we both found out, it’s impossible to shield in hospital, you just have to go with the flow.
Keep on getting stronger every day, and continue to shield, because Covid and all its associated problems are something you don’t need. Eat well, get fresh air in the garden, all that beautiful clean Scottish air, rest, and get well. Stay safe.

Sparklefizz Fri 15-Jan-21 19:01:05

My goodness, Maddyone, what an awful experience you've had, and I hope you are making a good recovery, even if it's slower than you would like.

I'm glad the medical care was very good, and I hope that your family members are also making a good recovery.

Thank you so much for using some of your precious energy to tell us what it has been like for you.

flowers flowers for you, and love and best wishes to you.

Sparklefizz Fri 15-Jan-21 19:05:56

Re oxymeters, I bought one during the first lockdown after someone on GN mentioned them, and because I have asthma I thought I'd get a lot of use out of it. In 2019 I have a very bad cough and chest infection and each time I saw my GP, he clamped an oxymeter on my finger while he was talking to me.

They are not madly expensive. I got mine from Amazon.

Puzzler61 Fri 15-Jan-21 19:14:25

What a dreadful time you have been through Maddyone.
Thank goodness you received great care and have beaten the terrible battle against Covid.
Wishing you a 100% recovery ? and sending you thanks for writing about your experience. It made a sobering read.