Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Suffering Covid

(88 Posts)
maddyone Thu 14-Jan-21 15:03:16

Hello everyone, I just want to say first of all, a huge thank you to so very many of you who have sent me good wishes on the threads, or by PM. I simply cannot reply to you all, but I’ve been very touched by your care and concern and the wonderful good wishes expressed. Some of you have asked that I write down my experiences as there are some people on here apparently who still don’t believe about this terrible virus.

Well it started because my elderly mother fell and was admitted to hospital. She had sustained two small intracranial bleeds and when she was discharged home, unfortunately she had become infected with the virus during her time in hospital. She wasn’t on a Covid ward, it was just one of those things. Unfortunately we were told she didn’t need to self isolate because she had two negative tests before discharge, and so my husband went round to help her as she’s in our bubble. I had decided I would not visit, the carers could do everything but my husband is kind and rarely thinks of himself, he saw she had a need to have a table moved due to her new Walker. Well when he arrived she was already ill again and was taken back to hospital. It turned out that she now tested positive for Covid. Unfortunately in the 40 minutes he spent with her and her carer at the flat, he picked it up and brought it home to me. Both my husband and my mother, despite her great age, were not very ill at all, and neither required any medical interventions. Mum was sent off to a cottage hospital to rest, recuperate, and rehabilitate. Meanwhile I became ill, increasingly so with each day that passed. I suffer with asthma which obviously made the situation worse. We both got a test, both positive on Christmas Day. Frankly I was too ill to care. We didn’t open gifts or eat any food. I was just ill.

By the 1st of January I was deteriorating badly. I had been put into a ‘virtual Covid ward’ where I was being monitored at home for any deterioration, and my husband had to keep ringing up my sats.My son had been to the Covid Hub to collect the necessary equipment and brought it to his Dad. The main thing is something you wear on your finger and it tells you the oxygen saturation, which is the most crucial information. My saturation dropped dangerously to between 80 to 86 and it was at this point the the Virtual Ward decided I needed to be admitted. The ambulance arrived and I was taken into hospital at 9.00 at night. I had to wait in the ambulance for thee hours before I went inside the hospital. I was never left at any point, the ambulance men and also nurses, doctors and other staff were with me all the time and already actively treating and monitoring me. When I went into the hospital I was immediately taken for a chest X-ray. I was already on 40% oxygen support and I had a cannula set up and blood taken and so much active care. It turned out that I had viral pneumonia and possibly blood clots on the lungs, but I had to wait for a CT scan to discover that. My treatments were lots, anti viral infusions, anti viral antibiotics, oxygen, blood thinners, a drug to break up the fluid in my tubes which made me feel I was drowning, high dose steroids, asthma drugs delivered via nebuliser because I couldn’t breathe them in normally.

Marydoll Fri 15-Jan-21 19:40:38

maddyone, thank you for taking the time to think of me. It's brought a wee tear to my eye. You have been through worse than, I have! Iam so pleased you ahve come through this.

As for oximeters, the British Lung foundation recommend them for anyone with a lung condition, as a drop in sats can give an early warning of Covid.
It's great if you need to speak to a doctor, you have that info literally at your fingertips!

jusnoneed Fri 15-Jan-21 19:53:51

You have certainly had a rough time maddyone, I hope you are soon feeling much better.

My brother in law and his wife both had Covid over the Christmas holiday (probably picked up at the school she works in) but luckily their symptoms were fairly mild - like a heavy cold.

Desdemona Fri 15-Jan-21 20:08:10

Hope you are soon fully recovered, what a traumatic experience. sad

mrswoo Fri 15-Jan-21 20:32:45

Thankyou maddyone for sharing your dreadful experience of Covid. It sounds as if you had excellent treatment but that doesn’t detract from what must have been very frightening time for you and your family.

I think your account should be required reading for all the doubters who dismiss Covid as no worse than having the flu.

May you continue to return to health - it may be a slow process - but you will get there.

LauraNorder Fri 15-Jan-21 20:38:48

Maddyone, so sorry you are still unwell after everything you’ve been through. Glad your GP is on the ball.
Your thoughtfulness for Marydoll was so kind in the midst of your own suffering it brought a tear to my eye too.
Get well soon ??

glammagran Sat 16-Jan-21 16:17:23

Wishing you a speedy recovery after what must have been a truly traumatic experience. ?

LauraNorder Sat 16-Jan-21 21:30:26

Just popped in to see if you are feeling any better. Hope the GP was able to sort out the infection.
Keep on resting and getting stronger.

MayBee70 Sat 16-Jan-21 23:01:42

Really grateful to maddyone for giving us so much information. I’m going to get hold of some dioralyte for my emergency medical box. maddyone: can I ask you if you had a fever and, if so did you take paracetamol? Dr John advises people to not take anything that reduces a fever (although that doesn’t apply to children of course) and what he says makes sense. What still puzzles me is that in many cases people have the same exposure to the virus but have varying degrees of symptoms. Sometimes people can be in close contact with an infected person but not even catch it.

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 23:06:37

I hope you get some sleep, maddyone

maddyone Mon 18-Jan-21 14:15:38

Reporting in ladies.
I have a hospital acquired infection, fortunately, now being treated, after a very difficult weekend. Treatment was started on Saturday night as I had deteriorated so much, we had to call 111. The culture has shown it’s not CDiff but another infection. I’m riddled with thrush all through, both ends, mouth and the other end, and that is causing me a fair degree of pain and discomfort. I’ve had a long consultation with my lovely GP this morning, and she is ringing back on Thursday to see how it’s all going. Meanwhile she’s prescribed three medications for the thrush, more antispasmodics, and more antibiotics, and more medication to break up the Covid sticky fluids in the chest, all designed obviously to make me well. She was very concerned and extremely good. It brought to mind a thread I commented on before I contracted Covid, where some posters, none of the ones on this thread, had been complaining about GPs and saying they were hiding behind closed doors, because routine blood tests were not being carried out. But our wonderful GPs are working hard, looking after Covid patients like me, who need a huge amount of support after getting home from hospital. Without the GP system, we’d be forced to stay in hospital longer, which is not really to anyone’s advantage. It’s more comfortable at home.

Thank you again, your comments have really supported me. I really hope some of the dissenters read this thread and see that Covid is not just a cold for many people. It’s a vile illness that causes all sorts of other problems even as the Covid itself recedes.

I think some of you asked me questions, I’ll try to answer. My symptoms of Covid began about three days after exposure. It took approximately ten days of being ill at home before I was admitted to hospital. I hope that helps.
Stay safe everyone.

maddyone Mon 18-Jan-21 14:17:36

MayBee
I did take paracetamol without any problems. In fact the hospital gave paracetamol whenever I was in discomfort. I didn’t take ibuprofen at all, nor will the hospital give it.

Grannynannywanny Mon 18-Jan-21 14:22:40

Sorry to hear you are having such a miserable time maddyone. Glad to hear you are receiving good care and support from your GP. I hope your newly prescribed treatments soon have you feeling much better.

Callistemon Mon 18-Jan-21 14:39:24

Oh dear, that sounds thoroughly miserable, maddyone.

Has she prescribed Nystatin for the oral thrush?
Can you ask your GP if probiotics would be helpful if you have such awful thrush?
I don't know how good such drinks as Yakult are but you can buy capsules from health food shops (they have to be kept in the fridge).

Ellianne Mon 18-Jan-21 14:45:43

Glad the treatment is getting on top of the infection, maddyone. You could have done without all that!
I do remember GN posters complaining about gps not doing their routine checks for various conditions, saying they were hiding behind the locked doors. You explained how they were very busy but still available and now you can tell everyone how it really is.
You have a lovely army of well wishers on this thread. Do keep us posted and keep recovering.

GillT57 Mon 18-Jan-21 14:46:37

Just a quick hint for those talking about Diarolyte to replace fluids: in an emergency or if you can't get any, flat coke or lemonade will do as well, but not the diet versions as it is the sugars you need to replace. Thanks for the update Maddyone you poor thing, thrush is miserable and very uncomfortable and probably a side effect of the antibiotics. I hope you feel a bit better soon, what a dreadful disease covid19 is.

Marydoll Mon 18-Jan-21 14:56:21

Maddyone , what a dreadful time you have had. ?

SueDonim Mon 18-Jan-21 14:57:09

Thank you for checking in on GN, Maddyone. This subsequent illness sounds equally miserable and difficult. You must be wrung out and exhausted with it all. flowers

As a general note regarding Dioralyte, it’s very easy and cheap to make your own oral rehydrate solution at home.

ORS.
One litre of water
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 teaspoons sugar.

Dissolve the salt and sugar in the water. Refrigerate and sip regularly throughout the day. Throw out remains after 24hrs and make a fresh batch.

You can add a little fruit juice or squash to make it more palatable or drink it through a straw. Ime, it tends to stay down better than plain water, if you’re suffering from sickness.

Yangste1007 Mon 18-Jan-21 14:57:59

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I wish you a full recovery. Take it slowly.

MayBee70 Mon 18-Jan-21 15:15:34

Yes. Thank you, maddyone. The probiotics I take are sweet cures probiotic blend. Their delivery service is excellent but I’m sure Yakut etc would be just as good. I do hope you feel better soon.

Atqui Mon 18-Jan-21 15:17:38

flowersflowersflowers
Get well soon

LauraNorder Mon 18-Jan-21 15:24:27

Thanks Maddyone for coming back to keep us all informed when you must be feeling totally drained.
Glad your GP is looking after you so well. We have much to be thankful for in this country.
Keep on getting better

crazyH Mon 18-Jan-21 15:37:14

Thankyou for giving us this information and explanation despite the fact that you must be so weak after your horrible experience. So glad that you’re on thee mend flowers

AGAA4 Mon 18-Jan-21 16:45:56

Maddyone Just to say thank you again for sharing what has been a dreadful experience for you. It is very helpful to have an insight into how terrible Covid is and to hope anyone who thinks it is a mild disease for all of us will think again.

Hope you will feel much better soon.

Dorsetcupcake61 Mon 18-Jan-21 16:50:53

Wishing you the speediest of recoveries Maddyone ??.

maddyone Tue 19-Jan-21 14:19:16

Thank you for lovely comments and good wishes everyone.
Please stay safe, take every precaution.