Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Suffering Covid

(88 Posts)
maddyone Thu 14-Jan-21 15:03:16

Hello everyone, I just want to say first of all, a huge thank you to so very many of you who have sent me good wishes on the threads, or by PM. I simply cannot reply to you all, but I’ve been very touched by your care and concern and the wonderful good wishes expressed. Some of you have asked that I write down my experiences as there are some people on here apparently who still don’t believe about this terrible virus.

Well it started because my elderly mother fell and was admitted to hospital. She had sustained two small intracranial bleeds and when she was discharged home, unfortunately she had become infected with the virus during her time in hospital. She wasn’t on a Covid ward, it was just one of those things. Unfortunately we were told she didn’t need to self isolate because she had two negative tests before discharge, and so my husband went round to help her as she’s in our bubble. I had decided I would not visit, the carers could do everything but my husband is kind and rarely thinks of himself, he saw she had a need to have a table moved due to her new Walker. Well when he arrived she was already ill again and was taken back to hospital. It turned out that she now tested positive for Covid. Unfortunately in the 40 minutes he spent with her and her carer at the flat, he picked it up and brought it home to me. Both my husband and my mother, despite her great age, were not very ill at all, and neither required any medical interventions. Mum was sent off to a cottage hospital to rest, recuperate, and rehabilitate. Meanwhile I became ill, increasingly so with each day that passed. I suffer with asthma which obviously made the situation worse. We both got a test, both positive on Christmas Day. Frankly I was too ill to care. We didn’t open gifts or eat any food. I was just ill.

By the 1st of January I was deteriorating badly. I had been put into a ‘virtual Covid ward’ where I was being monitored at home for any deterioration, and my husband had to keep ringing up my sats.My son had been to the Covid Hub to collect the necessary equipment and brought it to his Dad. The main thing is something you wear on your finger and it tells you the oxygen saturation, which is the most crucial information. My saturation dropped dangerously to between 80 to 86 and it was at this point the the Virtual Ward decided I needed to be admitted. The ambulance arrived and I was taken into hospital at 9.00 at night. I had to wait in the ambulance for thee hours before I went inside the hospital. I was never left at any point, the ambulance men and also nurses, doctors and other staff were with me all the time and already actively treating and monitoring me. When I went into the hospital I was immediately taken for a chest X-ray. I was already on 40% oxygen support and I had a cannula set up and blood taken and so much active care. It turned out that I had viral pneumonia and possibly blood clots on the lungs, but I had to wait for a CT scan to discover that. My treatments were lots, anti viral infusions, anti viral antibiotics, oxygen, blood thinners, a drug to break up the fluid in my tubes which made me feel I was drowning, high dose steroids, asthma drugs delivered via nebuliser because I couldn’t breathe them in normally.

Iam64 Tue 19-Jan-21 17:48:42

Thanks for the update maddyone,what a grim time you’re having. Great to hear your GP is so involved. Please rest as much as you can xx

maddyone Wed 03-Feb-21 10:49:07

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes. I just thought I’d pop back on here to tell those of you who are interested that my recovery is progressing, slowly but surely. I still rest most mornings and then spend the rest of the day downstairs wearing clothes shock. Real clothes, my goodness! I can walk around the house, I do get a bit breathless but it’s improving slowly. I can walk upstairs now without feeling as if I’m about to collapse when I get to the top, although I do need to sit on the bed for a few moments to get my breath back. Yesterday I went for my first outing in the car. We had to pick three of our grandchildren up (childcare bubble) from school which is about a 15 minute drive from here. I didn’t get out of the car, my husband got the little one from the nursery class and brought him to me in the car, and then went to get the twins. We took them back to our house to feed and bath before taking them home. Mum and Dad were both at work till evening. It was lovely to get out of the house, and at the moment I’m not up to to walking anywhere but the car ride was lovely. And it was delicious seeing the children and getting a cuddle, yes we do cuddle them, we’ve had the virus and so have their parents and one twin. The other two children have either had it asymptotically or are immune at their age. My husband did the donkey work, making the meal and the bathing, but it really cheered me up to see them. And my recovery is progressing slowly but steadily.

westendgirl Wed 03-Feb-21 10:51:39

Good to read you are on the mend .

FannyCornforth Wed 03-Feb-21 10:52:22

Hello Maddy
It's wonderful to hear of your progress. It sounds exactly like that of my husband - very, very slow.
Sending you my love and very best wishes thanks

Callistemon Wed 03-Feb-21 10:55:52

Good news maddyone

Take care, rest and take it slowly and I hope you make a full recovery.

How lovely that you can see your DGC and so good that your DH was there to take charge.

All the best, Spring is on its way!

NellG Wed 03-Feb-21 10:59:14

Wishing you a smooth and peaceful recovery, thank you for sharing. flowers

baubles Wed 03-Feb-21 11:03:33

Lovely to hear that you’re making such good progress Maddy, may you continue to recover your health.

Grannynannywanny Wed 03-Feb-21 11:11:27

Delighted to hear you’re on the road to recovery maddyone. It’s taken a lot out of you but you’re heading in the right direction.

Lexisgranny Wed 03-Feb-21 11:16:46

I have read every word through twice, and when my husband returns from his walk I will ask him to read it too. Thank you so much Maddy and all the others for sharing your experiences.

JenniferEccles Wed 03-Feb-21 11:38:34

Thank you for the update maddyone
I am pleased to hear that you are progressing well, albeit slowly.

How wonderful for you to have spent time with your grandchildren, as well as a little outing in the car!

The time spent with the little ones would have been marvellous for your morale wouldn’t it?

All the best for your continued recovery!

Lexisgranny Wed 03-Feb-21 11:39:10

Meant to add my very best wishes to you Maddy, and I do hope that your ongoing problems are soon resolved - you really have gone through it

Puzzler61 Wed 03-Feb-21 16:02:13

Continuing Get Well wishes and I hope you make a full recovery in the near future. ?