Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

French health service do not recommend fabric masks

(35 Posts)
mokryna Mon 18-Jan-21 19:08:56

It is said “because of the new covid variants the French Public Health Service no longer recommends using fabric masks for protection from the more transmissible English, South African and Brazilian variants of covid 19 . Category 2 masks or fabric masks, only filter 70% while categories 1 such as surgical masks go up to 90%”.
Will this make you rethink about your masks?

Jaxjacky Mon 18-Jan-21 19:21:06

Our local hospitals now have surgical masks at entrances for you to take and use, your own is not allowed.

mokryna Mon 18-Jan-21 19:48:10

And when you go shopping?

BlueSky Mon 18-Jan-21 19:54:57

mokryna

We are lucky if everybody wears any kind of face covering!
No I won’t be rethinking masks now that vaccinations in the UK are well underway, I’ll wear what I’ve already got. I read that half the French population are not keen on having the jab.

kittylester Mon 18-Jan-21 19:56:03

Jaxjacky

Our local hospitals now have surgical masks at entrances for you to take and use, your own is not allowed.

That has been the case for a while not just since the new variants arrived!

Galaxy Mon 18-Jan-21 19:57:26

That is what is provided by my organisation as well, we arent allowed to wear the fabric ones.

B9exchange Mon 18-Jan-21 19:57:27

Surely it depends on how the mask is made? I followed instructions from a US consultant, to use an inner layer of T shirt fabric, a middle layer of a non-woven fabric, and an outer layer of cotton. They feel considerably more substantial than the standard surgical masks that I use when they are in the wash.

Jaxjacky Mon 18-Jan-21 20:02:59

Didn’t realise kittylester was in the local news yesterday.

mokryna Mon 18-Jan-21 20:19:30

BlueSky

mokryna

We are lucky if everybody wears any kind of face covering!
No I won’t be rethinking masks now that vaccinations in the UK are well underway, I’ll wear what I’ve already got. I read that half the French population are not keen on having the jab.

From what I have heard there are some people who are balking at the idea but the main problem is the vaccine delivery delay.

lemongrove Mon 18-Jan-21 20:34:42

I shall stick with my material masks ( three layers) and in any case I hardly go anywhere at all, no shopping done, it’s all delivered.

Ilovecheese Mon 18-Jan-21 20:37:14

We have always known though, havn't we, that the masks are not 100% effective, and if wearing them does a little bit towards protecting others, I see no reson to re think .

M0nica Mon 18-Jan-21 21:14:13

I am sticking with my material mask, it fits better and is thicker, I used quite thick material for each layer. The interior is cottton curtain fabric.

SuzannahM Mon 18-Jan-21 21:55:29

I'll be sticking with my homemade masks too. They were made to fit us, they have three layers, and we can breath much more easily through them than the plastic, throwaway masks we used to wear.

FarNorth Mon 18-Jan-21 22:00:41

How about fabric masks with a filter insert?
That's what I use.

grandma60 Mon 18-Jan-21 22:08:34

I arrived for my hospital appointment already wearing a surgical mask. They still made me change it for one of theirs even though I told them I had only been wearing mine for 2 minutes.

Callistemon Mon 18-Jan-21 22:25:04

I shall wear my 3 layer masks (as recommended by medical experts and the Welsh Government), one layer being a non-woven fabric.

M0nica Mon 18-Jan-21 22:28:17

Just because the health service of another country recommends doing or not doing something, doesn't mean they are right and we should follown them.

BlueBelle Mon 18-Jan-21 22:34:03

My daughter has told me this all along
I wear a surgical one under my pretty one

Galaxy Mon 18-Jan-21 22:36:00

Its recommended by organisations in this country Monica. From the beginning I have followed the advice of other countries.

BlueBelle Mon 18-Jan-21 22:42:25

I think they are right though Monica why couldn’t another country have the right advice
you don’t see any Far Eastern countries wearing cloth masks and they seem to be conquering it better than we are

GagaJo Mon 18-Jan-21 23:04:44

Surgical masks only on planes.

sazz1 Mon 18-Jan-21 23:40:55

I'm struggling with wearing a mask as I have lung disease. I find the disposable ones easier to breath through than the fabric ones. Checked with the nurse and she said people with lung disease are having problems. I could go exempt but really don't want to do that as it's so unpopular atm. So just making short trips to shops and no browsing just in and out quickly

welbeck Tue 19-Jan-21 03:16:28

FarNorth

How about fabric masks with a filter insert?
That's what I use.

do you mean with a round valve, if so these are not recommended for general public use, because they concentrate the exhalations and can propel them farther.
so might be ok for wearer but more risky for others.

nanna8 Tue 19-Jan-21 03:47:17

I wear my home made ones, too. Some protection is better than nothing and I wash them every time they have been worn. Besides, they are all different colours to match my clothes, got to have a bit of cheer in this life ! My husband wears them, too and he was not so impressed when he ran out of ‘boy’ colours one day and had to wear one of mine with little fairies all over it.

welbeck Tue 19-Jan-21 03:56:10

www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

www.bma.org.uk/news-and-opinion/guidance-on-masks-has-been-lacking