Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

French health service do not recommend fabric masks

(36 Posts)
mokryna Mon 18-Jan-21 19:08:56

It is said “because of the new covid variants the French Public Health Service no longer recommends using fabric masks for protection from the more transmissible English, South African and Brazilian variants of covid 19 . Category 2 masks or fabric masks, only filter 70% while categories 1 such as surgical masks go up to 90%”.
Will this make you rethink about your masks?

FarNorth Tue 19-Jan-21 04:44:59

welbeck No, I mean a cloth mask of two layers where you put a replaceable, flat filter in between the layers.

BlueBelle Tue 19-Jan-21 06:46:25

Nana if you want to stay pretty wear a surgical one underneath that’s what I do and it doesn’t feel any different Quitw comfortable in fact

Ellianne Tue 19-Jan-21 08:50:28

Strange this .. our royal family, when out and about, all wear the fabric ones, some very pretty and colour co coordinated.

nanna8 Tue 19-Jan-21 09:05:32

Cloth masks are pretty much the norm here and they certainly seem to have stopped the spread. Before we all wore them it was spreading everywhere

BigBertha1 Tue 19-Jan-21 10:31:05

I use Brilliant Masks which were designed by a consultant at Alder Hey Children's Hospital and raise funds for them - some lovely designs and they fit properly over nose and mouth and dont move about. I wash mine daily in 60degrees and bio detergent. I shall throw the current lot away and have some new ones I think just to refresh properly.

Spidergran3 Tue 19-Jan-21 11:56:38

welbeck

www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

www.bma.org.uk/news-and-opinion/guidance-on-masks-has-been-lacking

Thanks for this welbec, very helpful. We wear three layer cotton masks so looking good ?

Septimia Tue 19-Jan-21 12:29:54

I've made 3-layer masks which DH and I wear regularly, as do family members.

The outer layer is cotton, various patterns, the inner layer is an old 400 thread cotton sheet and between them is fine viscose interfacing.

Immediately after use I soak them in Dettol laundry cleanser (other makes work, too) then they go in the next hot wash. I'm happy with them and I'm not adding to the plastic pollution by using disposable one, although I do have some for emergencies.

Callistemon Tue 19-Jan-21 12:35:08

I'll try to rethink my masks if I go to France.
Which may not be for some time.

Ellianne Tue 19-Jan-21 13:54:26

Callistemon

I'll try to rethink my masks if I go to France.
Which may not be for some time.

Zut alors! That's that idea down the drain then!

Nannarose Tue 19-Jan-21 13:58:32

Back when we were sewing for Scrubs Up, we were given a pattern for a 3 layer mask, and it was described as being 'NHS visitor standard'. I have checked and it still is.
It is of course, easier for NHS clinics to give you a mask they know to be of the correct standard than to check yours, but it is still a decent standard for ordinary interactions.