Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Tested positive this morning please cheer me up

(171 Posts)
Notagranyet1234 Tue 19-Jan-21 05:57:40

Hi there everyone
I've not posted before but felt so fed up today I'm hoping to use the hive mind to improve my mood.
I'm approaching 60, single parent for the last 15 years after a long unhappy marriage. Currently I'm working 5 short days a week in a stressful health care role, whilst caring for my elderly parents, mum is terminally ill with breast cancer, and my 2 adult DC at home because they are ASD.
I have been really careful with Covid precautions and have successfully worked through all the lock-downs to keep our very vulnerable patients in the unit free from this virus.
I was tested at work as usual on Friday and tested negative. Started to feel increasingly unwell over the weekend so got a drive through test on Sunday and was notified by text that I was positive on Monday morning.
I feel pretty grim, bad cough, aches and fatigue, hoping that the vaccination I had 10 days ago will mean that avoid a hospital admission.
My problem is that I am really annoyed about catching this, I have a background studying microbiology and have taken all precautions possible whilst continuing to work and care for my family.
I'm fuming with people who don't wear masks, my neighbours are still having parties every Friday and in the supermarket locally I have seen staff members not wearing masks (I'm aware they may have a health exemptions) but what about the gangs of teenagers hanging around on the streets? The people who wear masks incorrectly?,
I have potentially risked the health of all my colleagues and patients (hopefully the PPE will help prevent any transmission)
Cheer me up Gransnetters please any funny stories greatly appreciated or cat photos are equally acceptable 2 of my terrors are attached.

Willow500 Tue 19-Jan-21 10:18:12

What a rubbish thing to happen when you have been so careful all this time! I hope you soon start to feel better. I too get cross when I see people flouting the rules, wearing masks incorrectly and constantly moaning about the restrictions. My adult GD and her partner have both had the virus - he has been particularly poorly as he had pneumonia which affected his heart before he got Covid so it hit him badly and he's still not over the effects. My GD is in healthcare and getting her vaccine next week.

I too love cats - these are my two. I was only saying this morning after clearing the litter up off the floors how much mess a Maine Coone must make - they're so big they must have to have even bigger boxes than ours grin I'd love one but doubt the (grey) diva would tolerate it

FannyCornforth Tue 19-Jan-21 10:18:28

Notagranyet just to let you know - your thread is the headline for today's newsletter, not bad for a first post!
Hope that all the lovely cats (and others) are helping to raise your spirits

Alison333 Tue 19-Jan-21 10:18:52

Not a grannyyet1234 you have done your very best, now it's time for you to focus on yourself and getting better.

Don't know about your attitude to guinea pigs, but 'David the Lodger' is gorgeous!

Gagagran Tue 19-Jan-21 10:19:59

Thinking of you notagrannyyet and hoping that you soon start to fight off the blooming virus. So sorry that you have been infected despite all your care.

My DSiL is a hospital consultant and has also taken great care to avoid catching it for the last 12 months but still it got him. He is now in isolation at home, full of aches and pains and coughing, with a temperature. DD has just started with "the cough" and is going for a drive-through test this morning. I am pretty sure it will be positive too.

This morning we got our appointments for the jab tomorrow teatime, so am feeling relief that we can get it a bit sooner than expected. Still need to observe all the precautions and we will continue to be very careful.

No jokes or pics of pets but here are some flowers to remind you that spring is on its way and you will get through this. sunshine

TJC1 Tue 19-Jan-21 10:20:18

Oopsadaisy1. That really made me laugh ? certainly cheered me up, thank you.

Supergran1946 Tue 19-Jan-21 10:21:17

So sorry to hear your news. I am 74 and was tested positive last October. Like you I was taking every precaution possible and haven’t a clue how I caught it. I felt very rough for two weeks ( like a severe bout of flu). Then slowly started to come out of it. I would say it took me about 6 weeks to regain my usual fitness. Listen to your body, and sleep when you feel the fatigue taking over. I tried to push too hard to get better and I think that is why it took me six weeks !

BloodyMary Tue 19-Jan-21 10:22:36

Get well soon. Hopefully your vaccination will mitigate the symptoms. Here’s our little kitty. X

Justanotherwannabe Tue 19-Jan-21 10:23:32

My DD's cat recently had a bad accident and had to be restrained in a large cage. GS was fascinated. Cat out Baby in...
(how do I post a photo?)

vickya Tue 19-Jan-21 10:23:59

Fang and Molly sharing the bed.
Get well soon.

gillyknits Tue 19-Jan-21 10:24:29

Hope you feel better soon. Here are some paws to cheer you up!

gillyknits Tue 19-Jan-21 10:27:45

Don’t know what happened but here they are!

gillyknits Tue 19-Jan-21 10:28:26

Oops

jacalpad Tue 19-Jan-21 10:28:55

I’m so sorry you are unwell, and have tested positive for Covid. I am hoping you have some benefit from the vaccine and do not suffer unduly. It is so annoying when you see the total disregard some people have for the rules and respecting others. Some people are simply selfish.

On a lighter note, here is my lovely Harry. We have had him three years and he was a rescue cat. He is currently fast asleep on his favourite chair. He hardly goes out at all these days. I think he is loving the constant company, now that we are at home almost all the time!

Look after yourself, and do try to rest as much as you can.

Xx flowers

lucid Tue 19-Jan-21 10:31:53

Sorry to hear you’re feeling down flowers. Mimi, Ferdie and Marley hope their photo’s will cheer you up.

Nannapat1 Tue 19-Jan-21 10:32:01

Hi Notagranyet1234, so sorry that despite your very best efforts you have had a positive test. This did happen to friend of mine a few months ago (works in a hospice) but she has recovered completely. Having had the vaccine, I hope the same for you. I completely understand that working in healthcare, taking all precautions and having extra family are burdens, careless people make you angry.
I hope my collage of silly plump Peggy Sue, trying to catch midges a couple of months ago, brings a little cheer.

Nortsat Tue 19-Jan-21 10:32:59

Good morning Notagran, so sorry to hear this.

Here is our Minnie ... she’s a very house proud girl and she’s just checking I have loaded the dishwasher properly.

Nortsat Tue 19-Jan-21 10:33:36

Lovely photos GNs ?

Mamma66 Tue 19-Jan-21 10:33:46

Hope you soon feel better, it’s a terrible virus. I had it very badly early last year and my husband had it over Christmas, fortunately not so badly. Hopefully the fact that you had the vaccine ten days ago should significantly reduce the likelihood of you being really unwell. No cats, but this loopy drawers should make anyone smile...

Seefah Tue 19-Jan-21 10:34:21

Sending you healing prayers ? for a swift and full recovery! Here are some flowers and photo of my daughters husky puppy dangling her paw in the stream which always make me smile ?.

GrammarGrandma Tue 19-Jan-21 10:39:54

Poor notagran! But look at all the lovely pictures you have inspired. Here are my three:

Twopence Tue 19-Jan-21 10:47:12

So sorry to hear you have tested positive. It must be very annoying after you have been so careful. You sound as if you have a lot on your plate but I hope you can take some time for yourself to rest and recuperate. Photos are of Gypsy, our rescue cat. We've had her for 10 years. When she arrived she was so nervous and confused but she has blossomed into a lovely companion, not a lap cat but very loving.

Phloembundle Tue 19-Jan-21 10:49:07

Hi. I hope this will give you a laugh. I was recalling a conversation with a co - worker from Lithuania. We were working in a newly established care home and the evening was quiet so we sat in the communal lounge talking. As we got up to leave at the end of our shift she said," Well it was very nice talking to you, but I could have been doing something useful". I didn't bat an eyelid. My late father was Lithuanian and he didn't do small talk either.

Pinkhousegirl Tue 19-Jan-21 10:49:58

This is such pants, I am so sorry, you have so much on your plate already. I am horribly allergic to cats but here is my dog who has been a great comfort as I recover from major surgery, and the landscape around my house in France which nourishes my soul and I hope will give you some joy. With best wishes for a speedy recovery.

PJN1952 Tue 19-Jan-21 10:50:14

Sending u my best wishes, NotGranYet1234, I feel for you. You have had the vaccine which should help with your symptoms. Take a rest as it sounds like you have a mountain to climb every day.
Here is my rescue cat Kiera.... v sad story behind her but she is settling in now. Life will get better for us all.

tinysidsmum Tue 19-Jan-21 10:51:21

awww hugs from Sid and I x