Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The jab is not a silver bullet!

(97 Posts)
LondonAnnie24 Mon 01-Feb-21 12:49:55

I'm pleased so many people are now having their jab. But, two colleagues this morning have told me that their Mums had theirs last week and are cross they can't now come and see their grandchildren. I do hope people aren't going to think that the immunisation means life goes back to 'normal' now. Any thoughts?

LauraNorder Mon 01-Feb-21 12:56:25

I agree LondonAnnie, we must remain cautious, continue to follow the rules and hope that eventually numbers fall throughout the world and we can emerge from this confinement with confidence.
Meanwhile the vaccine will prevent us from being very ill should we contract the virus thereby taking pressure of the NHS. It should also give us a bit more confidence to follow up necessary appointments such as doctors for other health concerns, dentists and opticians.

LauraNorder Mon 01-Feb-21 12:57:09

pressure off the NHS

rosie1959 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:01:29

No it's not a silver bullet but if it works as they hope it should allow everybody that wants to to come out of this insular environment
I remember listening to Johnathan Van Tam stating that when phase 1 is complete it should reduce deaths around 99% also reducing the need for hospitalization

MissAdventure Mon 01-Feb-21 13:07:56

That is providing people continue to social distance as they have been, until told otherwise.

Namsnanny Mon 01-Feb-21 13:11:54

Yes I agree MissAdventure again we will be relying on people understanding this and following through with it.

Iam64 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:12:35

I had my first jab on Friday. The doctor gave me clear info and advice about the level of cover likely in 2 or 3 weeks. 90% 3 weeks after the second in April. Pfizer. My daughters are totally aware of risks and timescales, they read the news and listen to the radio news

grandmajet Mon 01-Feb-21 13:14:06

Of course we should continue to be very careful, we may still carry and transmit the disease even if vaccinated and asymptomatic.

MissAdventure Mon 01-Feb-21 13:15:00

I think the government should now be implementing awareness, making sure people understand that, because I'm not sure everybody does.

Tweedle24 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:16:23

I have heard and read of people imagining that they can drop all precautions once they have had the first of the two vaccine doses. I think they interpret the rules as they wish — if only they would heed the advice and listen to the whole story

Namsnanny Mon 01-Feb-21 13:19:12

My mother thinks she can mix with others and have the life she had before covid, since she was vaccinated.....only one week ago!!
I understand she wants to get out and about, but it's me that she is getting cross with when I explain why I wont take her!!

Phew, I've explained until I'm blue in the face, but she thinks I'm being spiteful.sad

Urmstongran Mon 01-Feb-21 13:19:55

Perhaps a reminder at the time of vaccination would be a good idea then everybody who has it will know precautions still need to be adhered to.

Iam64 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:21:47

Urmston, that’s what happened at our centre

rosie1959 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:22:16

I have not had the vaccine yet will be a bit of a wait but as with other medications would it not be prudent to hand out an explanation leaflet.
Obviously people cannot go back to normal as we are still in lockdown.

Namsnanny Mon 01-Feb-21 13:23:29

MissAdventure

I think the government should now be implementing awareness, making sure people understand that, because I'm not sure everybody does.

Again I agree, it needs saying over and over
Perhaps using adverts or the morning chit chat type of tv program might reach those of us who avoid the news?

Tweedle24 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:31:35

My daughter’s mum-in-law insists that, provided the others are ‘family’ it is alright to mix with them. Apparently, you can’t pass it on to a relative!

Greeneyedgirl Mon 01-Feb-21 13:32:28

I would hope that most people realise that some caution will be necessary even after 2 immunisations, because protection depends on an individual’s immune response.

It must be hoped that as more are vaccinated, not just the elderly and vulnerable, and the level of infection in the community drops there will be less opportunity for any circulating virus to mutate.

I can imagine new and “tweaked”vaccines will be needed for some time to come and that regular jabs may become routine.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 01-Feb-21 13:34:50

Ha ha Tweedle I am sure a lot of people think that ?

Kalu Mon 01-Feb-21 13:43:37

I have just heard Boris Johnson refer to the vaccine as an immunity!!.....it is not at all an immunisation which would mean we were 100% immune to contracting covid.

This message must be stressed repeatedly for all to understand the difference between vaccination and immunisation and what their vaccine will cover. We can still contract covid but a milder dose, therefore, it is still important to continue taking precautions, also, although vaccinated, it is also, still possible, to be a carrier and pass on the virus to others.

Jaxjacky Mon 01-Feb-21 13:52:43

I have has this conversation with a couple of people, after explaining that our behaviour must remain the same, the reply I get is ‘what’s the point of the vaccine then?’ Then I explain reduced risk, pressure off the NHS etc. I don’t think the message is getting through, I agree, publicise on the TV shows, radio programmes, adverts, as much media as possible.

grandmajet Mon 01-Feb-21 13:59:19

The government can tell people over and over again, but some people just don’t want to hear, you must still be as careful as before, just for now.
Then you get the ‘well, he/she did this/that/the other so why shouldn’t I?’ Please! It’s like in the playground - Miss, he told me to do it!

Laughterlines Mon 01-Feb-21 14:06:26

As I understand it, having the vaccine does not mean you can’t get Covid, or be a carrier, it means that the effects on you won’t be so huge. Perhaps others will correct me if I am mistaken.

rosie1959 Mon 01-Feb-21 14:08:14

In theory we all still have no choice but to be careful as there is nowhere actually open to go to.

BigBertha1 Mon 01-Feb-21 14:49:40

I read a few interesting articles on the BBC news website the first described the way in which the vaccine makes its journey from its inception to our arms including a description of the its limited efficacy and the need to continue precautions for the distant future. Two other articles looked at what offices and town centres might look like post-Covid the starting point being that there will not be a return to what we thought of as normal but instead a way of living with this virus and others like it in the future despite vaccination programmes. I suppose that those who could do with the information are the least likely to read it though.

Liz46 Mon 01-Feb-21 14:55:44

My next door neighbour knows everything. He had the vaccine last Saturday and his daughter has just visited. I overheard him tell her that she doesn't need to wear a mask now!