Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

South Africa has paused the rollout of the AZ vaccine

(91 Posts)
suziewoozie Mon 08-Feb-21 12:13:17

Good idea to start this topic again. This is my understanding of what is going on and the implications for us
1. 90% of new cases in SA are the SA variant
2. Research carried out there in conjunction with Oxford has found disappointing results with AZ with only minimal protection being offered against mild and moderate disease.
3. The study subjects were young ( 40 and under) and so very unlikely to become severely ill and be hospitalised
4. As there is no evidence as yet about the efficacy of AZ re the SA variant they are going to use J and J and Pfizer instead until more data is available
5. AZ are working on a booster jab hopefully available here in the autumn which will be more effective give against tge SA variant
6. Tracking down SA variant cases here is clearly very important
7. So is stopping more cases coming in
8. Whatever vaccine we’ve had we should carry on as though we haven’t had any vaccine

Jaxjacky Wed 10-Feb-21 16:34:24

Alegrias1 thank you, as soon as one of my children can come round, I’ll be better trained in links.

suziewoozie Wed 10-Feb-21 16:46:50

It’s hard for countries having to make decisions like this isn’t? Because of the (understandable) speed at which the whole vaccine development has gone, there is a constant stream of new research findings and govts have to decide at what stage with the evidence they have it is right to make a decision. Some will be more risk averse than others and want more evidence. I know that theoretical understanding plays a role in decision making in evaluating evidence but some seem to be happier to do this than others.

Alegrias1 Wed 10-Feb-21 16:50:41

The WHO Chief Scientist said almost exactly that Suziewoozie. You're not her are you? ?

She said that there is so much information coming to light all the time and we're all going to have to be patient as things change.

suziewoozie Wed 10-Feb-21 16:55:26

Alegrias1

The WHO Chief Scientist said almost exactly that Suziewoozie. You're not her are you? ?

She said that there is so much information coming to light all the time and we're all going to have to be patient as things change.

No but she has me on speed dial ???

BlueSky Wed 10-Feb-21 16:58:25

Really pleased with these news! I can now reassure my French and Italian friends who were concerned about me having the Oxford AZ! smile

suziewoozie Wed 10-Feb-21 16:59:50

I think what I was obliquely trying to say is that no one should be feeling smug or superior atm because their country made a decision that turned out to be tight ( or right atm). Re SA the variant there is the huge majority of new cases and so I can understand why they were more cautious. Decisions have contexts

suziewoozie Wed 10-Feb-21 17:00:31

Right not tight <sigh>

BlueSky Wed 10-Feb-21 17:20:51

That’s right Suzie. Wonder whether all the countries in Europe will now recommend this vaccine for the over 60s?

suziewoozie Wed 10-Feb-21 17:37:46

BlueSky

That’s right Suzie. Wonder whether all the countries in Europe will now recommend this vaccine for the over 60s?

Some already did you in the furst place the EMA authorised it for all adults. I think it will depend on why they made the decision they did ie less risk averse. The WHO has no new evidence, it’s just done an assessment based on the evidence everyone has already coupled with theory based inferences.

suziewoozie Wed 10-Feb-21 17:38:30

Delete ‘you’ <sigh > must preview

Hetty58 Wed 10-Feb-21 17:44:38

EllanVannin, the deaths in Norway were of the very elderly, frail and seriously ill - those who really shouldn't have been given the vaccine anyway.

Hetty58 Wed 10-Feb-21 17:48:36

As for the rest of us, we need to consider the very serious risk involved in remaining unvaccinated. I'm happy to have whatever jab is going - asap!

Blossoming Wed 10-Feb-21 17:55:41

*EllanVanin” Please may I ask which Covid vaccine did you have, and did you have any side effects?

Apologies if you’ve already given this info, but I can’t see it anywhere in the thread.

BlueSky Wed 10-Feb-21 17:58:10

I see Suzie thanks!

MayBee70 Wed 10-Feb-21 21:42:18

All I can say to EllanVanin who doesn't want a second vaccine and goes to local shops without a mask is what would have happened if people had refused to have the smallpox, polio vaccines etc.