Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Childcare bubble question

(48 Posts)
MandK Wed 24-Feb-21 04:22:39

DD and SiL had new baby very very recently (mid Feb). We had already agreed that I will help with child care when DD returns to work and I really look forward to this. I am very close to DD, and she wants to form a childcare bubble, which would be lovely, and probably pretty safe right now as I am following all the rules. However I am worried that, as a teacher, I will be back in the classroom from 8th March and potentially carry infection. DD seems quite blazé about this risk. She wants my support, company and advice, and I don't want to let her down but I am afraid, and don't want to do the wrong thing. DD and SiL are both on parental leave and seem to be managing very well. This is probably a short term problem, as I am retiring from teaching in the summer and hopefully by the time DD returns to work, the situation will be easier all round. Another complication is that I am also supporting my 90 year old Aunt who is shielding by taking round her weekly shop, but I understand that I would be permitted to be in both bubbles. I am getting the vaccine this week!
I would appreciate your advice/views.

janeainsworth Wed 24-Feb-21 12:34:27

Ican Sometimes there is absolutely necessary childcare and other times it is rule twisting. You need to be sure that it isn't the latter because it suits your emotional needs.

Because the baby is under one it can be a support bubble not necessarily childcare.
I’m sure the OP will be thinking of her DD’s emotional needs rather than her own. Your comment seemed a bit harsh to me.

Dancinggran Wed 24-Feb-21 12:38:04

MandK you can have a childcare as well as a support bubble, however I would check the gov. website for the details... it is very comprehensive. You may be worrying unnecessarily as others have said. Over the next few months many more people will have been vaccinated and rules will begin to change too.

Whatdayisit Wed 24-Feb-21 12:46:44

Taking shopping etc to a 90 year old aunt is not a bubble it is essential care.

Ginpin Wed 24-Feb-21 12:50:57

You are allowed in more than one bubble of different kinds. We have been child care for one daughter ( 16 month old) and support for another ( husband in Navy and away).
However, I have not taught for a year, at 62 I deemed that too risky. No supply - no pay - my choice.
Support bubble daughter and children need to move in with us for a month as essential home repairs are about to start.

Daughter is looking to keep her children off school for a week or 2 longer to allow me to get my jab. My husband ( slightly older than me) had his jab about 2 weeks ago.

BlueBelle Wed 24-Feb-21 12:53:27

Well there you have it, probably more muddled than you originally were before you asked
half the posters saying one bubble only, half saying two bubbles if the baby is young No body seems to have any clear ideas for you
I d read up yourself and as an intelligent competent woman make your decisions based on what YOU and your family feel is right

growstuff Wed 24-Feb-21 12:59:54

Whatdayisit

Taking shopping etc to a 90 year old aunt is not a bubble it is essential care.

Whatever it is, I doubt if the virus knows the difference.

Whatdayisit Wed 24-Feb-21 13:22:53

If this lady didn't take it somebody else would so whether the virus knows or not doesn't matter it is an essential care service being provided not a bubble.

GrannyLaine Wed 24-Feb-21 14:11:39

I'm not quite understanding your post MandK. If the baby was born mid Feb, it will be around 10 days old. Is your daughter planning a very early return to work?

4allweknow Wed 24-Feb-21 14:14:43

One bubble only afraid. Doesn't make any difference if you or others are vaccinated. Will be another month until you can meet up outside only. Will you have rigorous testing in school where the children are just experts at transferring viruses eg think how the common cold spreads in school. Vaccine means you will be less ill but not exempt from succumbing to the virus.

Sawsage2 Wed 24-Feb-21 14:15:10

Why not just retire a few months earlier, problem solved ?

jillyd60 Wed 24-Feb-21 14:48:31

Ladies, another Covid question, but i would like your advice.
my partner of 38 years is quite a bit older than me but a very youthful 82, he lives at mine in sussex, however still has his place in essex which he visits regularly for insurance purposes and is going to put up for sale this year. however he was offered his first covid jab back at the beginning of december by his doctor who is in essex so went back for it, isolated and then came back to sussex, his next jab was organized for beginning of january, in the meantime both essex and sussex went into catergory 4, so the day sussex went into 4 he returned to essex to await his jab, which he has now had, and has been there every since, as he says he cant travel back to sussex until lockdown has ended. he is making the most of the time doing all the jobs to his house before putting it on the market.
he had a month with no heating as it had broken down, but is now fixed. he was on his own for christmas, his 82 birthday and the birth of our 2nd grandchild. i feel he should be able to return to sussex, due to his age and the fact he has had both covid jabs, i worry about him staying on his own, no TV no luxuries and no one to look after him. i am having my jab this week , i have type 2 diabetes insulin dependent and pancreaitis so could do with him back.
i think considering his age and my health he could return to sussex, but he doesnt like to do anything wrong and feels he is not allowed to return.
which of us is correct in our interpretation.
Thanks

Whatdayisit Wed 24-Feb-21 14:58:21

Jillyd60 of course your partner should come back if you are feeling unwell and you are both supporting each othe; it is not the same as floating around visiting people. Your support needs have changed.

Kamiso Wed 24-Feb-21 15:02:56

Theoddbird

I suggest you ask a doctor about risks etc not a lot of people who really can't give you the answers you need

Good luck with that if they are anything like our surgery. The barricades are up and we are expected to work through the reception staff! If you get a good receptionist you might get to speak to a nurse.
They did open the door for flu vaccines because there is extra money in it.

aonk Wed 24-Feb-21 17:18:06

Not really relevant to the issues raised here but I would like to say to Thistlelass that while we are all rightly different in our views I would happily give up all or almost all of my retirement to care for family members especially my GC. I’ve already missed so much time with them and so many opportunities to help my family and will never get these precious times back.

steph63 Wed 24-Feb-21 22:33:52

teachers should be allowed to have vaccinations! Here in the
States, my husband will conclude part 2 of the Phiser vaccine, and I will conclude mine next month. We are in the over 65 group, so we are allowed to get it now. I wish England could have similar laws.

\

ayokunmi1 Sun 28-Feb-21 12:32:46

grandtanteJE65
You can't just retire like that she will work out her notice ,otherwise it will have consequences with her pension .

ayokunmi1 Sun 28-Feb-21 12:35:40

jillyd60 of course he should return

icanhandthemback Sun 28-Feb-21 15:05:56

janeainsworth, I never for one moment suggested the OP was rule twisting for her own emotional needs. She is the only one who knows that. However, there is a lot of this that goes on at the moment because there are a lot of people who are unhappy with the rules especially when there is a newborn. If she is acting within the rules or the spirit of the rules, no problem as far as I am concerned. Interpreting the rules seems to be the biggest problem and I am not qualified enough to give an absolute opinion on those but my own circumstances are similar but with older children so I gave my example as food for thought. No nastiness intended or implied.

effalump Thu 04-Mar-21 10:57:10

It would be interesting to know how many MPs are in a similar situation. Not many, I bet. A lot of people probably have several family members that desperately need help, whether it is with babies/toddlers, elderly or disabled. The Govt. need to look further into caring responsibilities as it's not a case of saying "Oh well, we already care for grandchildren so, I guess, Granny will just have to fade away." Especially seeing as you still have to wear face coverings and socially distance after having both doses of the vaccine. Doesn't it make you wonder what the point of the vaccine is?

Madgran77 Thu 04-Mar-21 14:51:39

My understanding is that we are only allowed one bubble?

It is allowed to be in both a support bubble and a childcare bubble

Madgran77 Thu 04-Mar-21 14:56:12

A childcare bubble is different to a support bubble. Being in a childcare bubble does not stop you from forming a support bubble if you are eligible

Above is a direct quote from the government guidelines for England

KentGran067 Fri 05-Mar-21 14:21:25

Do you have a link to this rule about babies under 1 please? My DD is about to have her second baby