Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Have you had to travel for your vaccination?

(138 Posts)
Willow500 Wed 10-Mar-21 07:43:34

Just that really.

We are 67 and received the letter several weeks ago inviting us for the vaccine but if we ignored the letter we would be contacted by the GP. We opted for the latter but nearly 3 weeks later when everyone we know apart from one friend had been done locally and we had heard nothing I rang our surgery to be told 'it would be a while yet'. We felt that we had no option but to travel to the nearest centre which for us is 30 miles away - we are going tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very grateful that we are able to have the vaccine at all and this country is doing an amazing job but can't help wondering how many of the over 65's have had the same experience. Our local paper recently had a list of the groups - the over 65's was the only one which said 'may be asked to visit a centre'. We are lucky we have transport and are able to travel (presumably we are allowed in the lockdown hmm ) but there must be others who are unable to do this and are still waiting.

Nannan2 Wed 10-Mar-21 11:22:53

Yes we did have wait till wk following the phone call till they got more vaccine in- and she gave us end of wk so we could all 3 go together.(me& 2 sons with underlying health conditions) we all had pfizer though, and am glad as its got less contra-indications/bad reactions afterwards apparently.

Noname Wed 10-Mar-21 11:23:50

I had mine at work (care home) and my husband had a 3 minute walk to his so we feel very fortunate having heard some of your stories!

CBBL Wed 10-Mar-21 11:26:21

No, we were called to our local surgery (having just moved from Lincolnshire to Caithness, Scotland). We had had the letter from our previous GP surgery (in Lincolnshire) but when we checked, they were still doing over 80's (we are both early 70's). The new GP Surgery is 9 miles from our new home, but we were delighted to receive the call to attend. This is three weeks ago now. Second dose to be given at the end of this month.

JaneJudge Wed 10-Mar-21 11:28:23

I booked mine through the main system at a base 5 mins drive from house then on Monday I was offered one through my GP at a nearby centre. It seems all or nothing here

Theoddbird Wed 10-Mar-21 11:33:45

I had mine early February at my doctor's surgery which is a 20 minute drive. I had a choice of two places. I had a text with a link to book appointment. There is a website to go to where you book your appointment. At your age you can just go to it and book. You do not need to wait to be contacted by your doctor.

springishere Wed 10-Mar-21 11:35:13

Three miles at the local hospital. Very quick and efficient. Had my second one on Monday.

PennyWhistle Wed 10-Mar-21 11:44:58

I had a call from my GP who made two appointments at a local medical centre - about 2 miles away.

I read online that over 60s could simply go online to book an appointment, so did just that for DH - and he went to a local pharmacy about three miles away. He has a second appointment in May at the same location.

Struggling2do1 Wed 10-Mar-21 11:45:10

I had to travel almost 40 miles for mine & had it two weeks ago. I am weeks away from my 70th birthday so expected to be near the top of the list. Nothing from my GP to date although OH got his done at GP 6weeks ago. Others I know in the same age bracket were offered local appointments. Trying not to take it personally ?.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 10-Mar-21 11:46:09

Our GPS surgery is not doing the jabs and we received the generic NHS letter so booked online. Lots of choice of venue and dates and times. (Likewise re the flu jab, apparently the GP should have written to us but hadn't - it has a dreadful reputation locally but that's another story).
I booked both appts on line for my husband and I, and we've had the first, 2nd booked for early May.
About 3 miles to travel to one of the hubs, held in a local football stadium. Plenty of parking, no queues and access on the flat. Very efficiently done, we were in and out in 10 minutes.
Not helpful I know to those of you struggling to access the jab, but it had been reported that the staff at the hub we used were twiddling their thumbs, expecting 1000 per day, but at one point only dealing with about 80 per day. No idea why that would be.
The only slight niggle I have, is that we were handed lots of leaflets as we went into the cubicle. After we'd been 'done' we read the leaflets, one we should have read before having the jab, but not given the opportunity (Astra Zeneca) to inform us as to whether we wanted to proceed or had allergy concerns. Very doubtful we'd have changed our mind, so I'm just being nit-picking, I know.

Lillie Wed 10-Mar-21 11:46:33

35 minutes away by car for mine in a few days. That's fine.
I took the cat to the vet in the same town, 30 minutes, yesterday. Shame he couldn't have done us both!

NannyDaft Wed 10-Mar-21 11:51:58

No was very local ! Absolutely fantastically organised can praise them more highly ! Thank you

NannyDaft Wed 10-Mar-21 11:52:34

They were great

Pudding123 Wed 10-Mar-21 11:59:13

I had a phone call from my GP s surgery at 5 O'Clock asking if myself and partner could go the next day to receive our vaccination which is 5 minutes drive away.I am 66 partner 69 both no underlying health conditions,both felt a bit rough the day after.

Clevedon Wed 10-Mar-21 12:01:06

Booked ours through the NHS website and drove to the local football club about 20 miles away.

Emptynester Wed 10-Mar-21 12:06:24

We had a letter offering a jab at a hub, for my 70 year old husband 6 weeks ago but got phone call the following day from GP offering jab for him and ‘I might as well go as well as I’m 67’ three days later. It was very well organised like a military op with no fuss and very efficient manner. All in this area are offered like this. Hub would have been about 14 miles, GP was less than 1 mile.

2020convert Wed 10-Mar-21 12:13:34

I went on line when I knew I was in the eligible age group as there was nothing on my GP website except “don’t contact the surgery re Covid inoculations”
However the appointment was for 9 am that Sunday morning, only just over a mile away, but as heavy snow was forecast overnight, I decided not to risk it and wait.
The next day I got my letter. I went on line again and got an appointment the next afternoon at the same centre! Then an hour later I got a call from the GP surgery offering me one. I explained that if I’d known they were imminent there I might have waiting.
Anyway, first one over, no reaction, painless (not like the flu one this year which was both) and date for the follow up given when I booked the first - a Saturday evening in late April.
Neighbour one over eighty was missed though her husband wasn’t. She called the surgery a few weeks later and was told she’d been marked there that she’d had it!
Good Luck everyone

Nannapat1 Wed 10-Mar-21 12:21:15

I'm 68 and received an invitation by text from my GP to book at a clinic in the town where I live, about 5 minutes drive from me. Unfortunately the link continously took me to 'no appointments available' so I went to the NHS website where I had the option if a number of pharmacies, the nearest being a mile or so from where I live. I booked for 24 February and everything went smoothly. The second shot is booked at the same place in May.
Younger friends who booked later were not offered this pharmacy which is very close to them but had to travel 5 miles or so, into East London to get theirs.

Callistemon Wed 10-Mar-21 12:22:51

Yes, nearly 30 miles and I have to go somewhere else for the second one.
Must Google how to get there!

muse Wed 10-Mar-21 12:24:38

Heard from the doctor and told to book on line (link in the text). Had a choice of three places - none were the surgery. We both booked an appointment together (71 and 72) and went to a treatment centre 5 miles away. Mid Cornwall.

Love your experience nannina smile

Callistemon Wed 10-Mar-21 12:25:34

Presumably those who don't have to travel far live near large centres of civilisation and not out in the sticks!

Yearoff Wed 10-Mar-21 12:30:56

I got mine at the local vaccine centre (5 miles away). I’m 56. I’m in scotland.

KathyG54 Wed 10-Mar-21 12:34:47

We had to travel to a hub 15 miles away booked online Our GPs were organising but seemed to stop a few weeks ago just before they got to us !

Mimi54 Wed 10-Mar-21 12:34:55

I had mine a few weeks ago as I’m ecv but when hubby (68) tried to book his online he could only get a centre 40-50 miles away. There has been lots of consternation locally as people weren’t made aware that GPs weren’t prioritising over 65s and were doing 16+ with health conditions first. If this had been made clear in the beginning people would have happily travelled to vaccination hubs but instead were sitting waiting for GP to contact them.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 10-Mar-21 12:36:58

When I first got the text I went online but the nearest hospital had run out of appointments. It was a case of wait and try again.

Eventually I got a slot at the local hospital which is just a 15 minute bus ride away - an obvious advantage of living near a large city.

Chardy Wed 10-Mar-21 12:39:28

When my letter came, I went online and was offered a jab in a local town ten miles away with truly awful parking. The next on the list was 20 miles away at a Leisure Centre I knew, with a multi-storey next door. Perfect.
I've never had a GP letter, though a healthy friend 10 yrs younger than me had a jab the same week at my surgery.
Someone else, much much younger was terrified when she got a GP letter, thinking that she had a terrible illness that they'd kept from her! No, it wasn't true!