Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I have been invited to a wedding and another big party in the summer

(60 Posts)
JaneJudge Wed 24-Mar-21 20:28:59

A ceremony and sit down meal, over 60 people in August
A big birthday party in July at a house with gardens and a pool!
Are people being optimistic?
I have just said I will go but really this wont be happening will it?

Summerlove Wed 24-Mar-21 20:35:52

I think they are being optimistic

Hithere Wed 24-Mar-21 21:36:13

Too optimistic

B9exchange Wed 24-Mar-21 22:08:03

I'm all for optimism! Numbers are continuing to drop, no one knows where we will be in Summer, but they could happen. Presumably they have insurance and could move them if necessary, but you'd better start looking at hats! smile

BigBertha1 Wed 24-Mar-21 22:10:31

I think 30 is a more likely number but I would still be planning my outfit now. How lovely to have things to look forward to.

Tangerine Wed 24-Mar-21 22:11:29

The events may not happen in the form you've described but, if fewer people attend, they may happen.

NotSpaghetti Thu 25-Mar-21 01:00:08

I wouldn't actually want to go with so many people.
I find I'm not looking forward to birthday parties at all.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 25-Mar-21 06:55:34

Would I want to go and mingle with 60 people, most of whom are strangers?

Nope.

And as for blowing out candles on a Birthday Cake!

Again Nope.

rosie1959 Thu 25-Mar-21 07:00:17

I am a bit confused on this one if we follow the road map as expected all restrictions are due to be lifted in June so why would these events not go ahead
People obviously make their on decisions but if vaccinated are they planning on staying in regardless

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 25-Mar-21 07:08:54

I think that if we are hit with a ‘3rd wave’ then all events will be subject to new rules, at the moment the Road Map is only if everything settles down and will lead us back to ‘normal’

Whether or not I’m personally ready for Normal remains to be seen, would I want to be the only one wearing a mask in wedding pics? Or would I bow to pressure to kiss and mingle with other guests that I have been forced to avoid off and on for over a year?
We shall see.

honeyrose Thu 25-Mar-21 09:44:50

Very optimistic - things still uncertain. I’d be happier with a much smaller number of guests. Even then, it might not happen.

WoodLane7 Thu 25-Mar-21 10:53:26

Never mind optimistic - pie in the sky feels more like it at the moment
On the news last night - a school somewhere having to close due to a covid outbreak - hope this is not a sign of things to come but fear it will be - they reckoned 2-3 weeks after schools had reopened would be the telling time - I fear we will be hearing of a lot more in the weeks to come

Granmaz Thu 25-Mar-21 10:54:30

My Son and future DIL, have been trying to get married since last year, original wedding date was May 10th, that was changed to March 12th this year, then April 10th, now June 1st! unless anything drastic happens to change us coming out of lockdown, they will be allowed 30 people at the ceremony but not to sit down and eat! I think it’s likely to be like that for the whole summer this year.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 25-Mar-21 10:57:23

What ages are the guests likely to be? Will they all have had both Vaccs? I have a friend who refuses to have the vacc (something we disagree on)

I can't see the problem if everyone has the vaccs passport?

Get up and get going!!

Nanette1955 Thu 25-Mar-21 11:00:43

The power of positive thought is amazing, so start looking for your outfits, x

Allsaints55 Thu 25-Mar-21 11:03:28

It’s really interesting to hear your views on this . I have a wedding booked for August this year ( I am an older bride!) It was originally booked in 2019 for July 2020 . A large wedding for over 100 . Of course last year after a lot of work it was postponed and it was stressful having to move everything & everybody to the new date. I’d love to just cancel but deposits were paid and our venue if the government says weddings can go ahead expect us to , they just seem to want to get their businesses going again . So we’ve decided to go ahead but in a different way . I do have the feeling some won’t want to mix . Masks and social distancing , no dancing etc .But I can’t see what else to do .
It’s so unpredictable isn’t it and who would want a mass gathering I feel but I have to do planning shortly with not knowing if the plug will get pulled again last minute ??‍♀️? . Me and 250,000 others have been affected apparently x

rosie1959 Thu 25-Mar-21 11:10:43

The main fly in the ointment so far is the delay on vaccines which hopefully will be short and the powers that be get it sorted.
Some I feel would be happy for us to be shut down forever but many are not prepared to put things on hold indefinitely especially the younger population
Business cannot afford to be shut down they can’t go on forever
So I for one hope we manage to stick to the roadmap if not I fear many will be totally unwilling to stick to any type of ‘rules’
Yes there is a third wave but if the vaccinations do their job it should not cause a rise in deaths or hospitalisation and these are the key drivers.

Jillybird Thu 25-Mar-21 11:16:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JaneJudge Thu 25-Mar-21 11:24:51

It is interesting to hear other people's views.

The wedding is family only, so multi generational. I imagine most people will have had two vaccines apart from those under 50 (I am under 50 but will have had two hopefully as I booked for my second one beginning of June) I had accepted the invite last year and it was cancelled twice so I feel I have to go. I also feel I can't say no as it is family but I do feel it is a bit optimistic and I do wonder if it will go ahead in the same manner - I am not one to be offended if they change their mind and uninvite me either fwiw - people need to get on with their lives in whatever way suits them moving forward.

The house party and pool and gardens I am less enthusiastic about confused it will be mainly people in their 20s!

sparkynan Thu 25-Mar-21 11:25:14

It will be a year and 5 months since the 1st lock down, the vacintion programe will be near completion by August/September, if England doesn't get back to near normal by then, I think we will be in big trouble. Humans are sociable people and the mental health effects of the isolation is really sad.

rosie1959 Thu 25-Mar-21 11:27:35

Will you have had your vaccine by then Jillybird ?

Babs758 Thu 25-Mar-21 11:29:33

One of the universities I am associated with is planning a face to face open day in June and full graduation for people with families in July... Now that is what I call optimistic!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 25-Mar-21 11:33:04

I too feel it unlikely that these celebrations will be able to be held in the coming summer.

Unless and until I have been vaccinated, I shan't even consider going to any large function and will politely decline due to the health risk I potentially pose to others and them to me.

Jan51 Thu 25-Mar-21 11:34:15

One of our daughters was due to get married at the end of June but they have posponed until next year as the proposed lifting of restrictions in June is not guaranteed. They, along with our other daughter, live 300 miles away so we have kept our hotel booking in place at the moment in the hope that we will be able to see them and the grandchildren then ??

Aldom Thu 25-Mar-21 11:38:03

Even if and when we can enjoy celebrating special occasions on a large scale it will be sensible for us not to indulge in hugging and kissing as we used to pre Covid.