Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid enquiry. He’s not daft as he looks.

(103 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-May-21 13:28:38

So this is how it goes.

Queens speech announced the intention of the government repealing the fixed term, thereby allowing Johnson to decide on the next election.

I have read more than once that he is looking at 2023.

Today he announced a covid enquiry to begin in spring 2022, which will not be reporting until after the next pencilled election of 2023.

No daft is he?

Greeneyedgirl Wed 12-May-21 17:05:04

There was a poor global response to the Pandemic and an independent panel has just reported the Pandemic Preparedness and Response They have concluded that there were a myriad of failures, gaps and delays in preparedness and response globally.. The WHO response was too slow, and politicians were in denial and only acted when their IT units started to fill up.

I have only read a brief summary, but surely it is in everyone’s interests to hold an early U.K. Enquiry so that lessons can be learnt for the next time, which may not be so far off.

Lillie Wed 12-May-21 17:20:17

Does he LOOK particularly daft?
He LOOKS like his mother who went to Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford, and his father, Exeter College, Oxford.
Neither of them particularly daft, neither is their son.

Alegrias1 Wed 12-May-21 17:23:25

I googled "Boris looking daft".

I especially like number 4.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-May-21 17:40:42

I know one of his cousins and they are definitely not daft!!

Lillie Wed 12-May-21 17:59:15

The more it is said Boris is daft and needs to mend his ways, the more many people dig their heels in to defend him.
Like if you kept saying my grandson needed to pull his socks up and behave better, I would be twice as likely to stick to him.
It is such a turn off.

Oldbat1 Wed 12-May-21 18:04:44

Just because some people go to Oxford it doesn’t mean they are any more special than anyone else. There are plenty of people with much better “qualifications” than Johnson or his parents. Not every person wishes to go there either. Having empathy and some morals would go a long way.

Alegrias1 Wed 12-May-21 18:14:11

Lillie

The more it is said Boris is daft and needs to mend his ways, the more many people dig their heels in to defend him.
Like if you kept saying my grandson needed to pull his socks up and behave better, I would be twice as likely to stick to him.
It is such a turn off.

But we're not expecting your GS to be running the country Lillie.

lemongrove Wed 12-May-21 18:26:47

Oldbat1

Just because some people go to Oxford it doesn’t mean they are any more special than anyone else. There are plenty of people with much better “qualifications” than Johnson or his parents. Not every person wishes to go there either. Having empathy and some morals would go a long way.

Who says that Oxbridge students are ‘special’?
What they are is very intelligent, it amuses me on GN that a few posters try to counteract that fact every now and again.

lemongrove Wed 12-May-21 18:30:01

Next year is soon enough, there is still the worry that Winter this year will bring another wave, the economy needs building up again and there needs to be time before an investigation is started to get all the data available.

Deedaa Wed 12-May-21 18:33:34

Lillie Boris's father is daft enough (or is it just entitled enough?) to be incapable of wearing a mask when asked or to understand that he isn't allowed to travel.

MayBee70 Wed 12-May-21 18:39:15

Going to university is much more than just learning. A lot of it is getting to know people to enable networking in later life. No coincidence that so many politicians are from Eton and Oxbridge.

lemongrove Wed 12-May-21 18:45:50

They don’t go into politics after Oxbridge for the money, that’s for sure Maybee.

rosie1959 Wed 12-May-21 18:57:25

Next year is quite soon enough We have enough to deal with at the moment
Ther will be an inquiry but what good will come of it is debatable

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-May-21 19:12:46

Well blow us down

No 10 has said that it will not commit to finish the enquiry before the next election.

MayBee70 Wed 12-May-21 19:15:32

They shouldn’t be allowed to have an election before that for moral reasons if nothing else.

PippaZ Wed 12-May-21 19:21:35

Whitewavemark2

Well blow us down

No 10 has said that it will not commit to finish the enquiry before the next election.

And how many of us are suprised - no one.

MayBee70 Wed 12-May-21 19:27:13

By the time there is an election hopefully the pandemic will be behind us and apart from those people that have lost loved ones or are still suffering from long covid it will be forgotten. It’s strange how some things stay in the electorates memory forever (Nick Clegg tuition fees, Blair Iraq) and yet other things are quickly forgotten.

Oldbat1 Wed 12-May-21 20:04:26

“MayBee70” therein lies the problem! Old boy network and backhanders to their cronies PPE etc.

varian Thu 13-May-21 14:07:30

A frontline NHS doctor who lost her father to coronavirus last December has urged Boris Johnson to hold an inquiry earlier to “save us from another winter of hell”.

Dr Saleyha Ahsan’s father Ahsan-ul-Haq Chaudry died on December 28 last year, days before he was due to get the vaccine.

She believes he might still be alive if the Government had called a lockdown earlier over Christmas.

inews.co.uk/news/frontline-medic-covid-inquiry-death-dad-boris-johnson-998970

spabbygirl Fri 14-May-21 11:13:35

this gov't have handled the pandemic disgracefully, that's why they want to postpone the inquiry, we need it now so the lessons we learn from it can be put into action straight away, the only thing the gov't did well was vaccinations, and allowing their friends an unbridled opportunity for access to the treasury, they have emptied the coffers and have the brazen cheek to justify their actions with any old bluster
I don't care what school they went to, they're confidence tricksters Lin52 Corbyn would have been much better, don't believe what you read in a Tory owned newspaper

CrazyGrandma2 Fri 14-May-21 11:18:40

PippaZ

No he's not daft. Cunning, scheming, and unscrupulous, and totally machiavellian - but not daft.

PippaZ you summed him up nicely. The disheveled, bumbling, jolly person is the act he hides behind.

Aepgirl Fri 14-May-21 11:31:51

He’s the best PM we’ve had for many years, he gets the job done and then answers questions. Where would we be if the provision of vaccines had gone to committee before we were allowed to be vaccinated?

Frizzywizzy Fri 14-May-21 11:32:22

Sly and manipulative

Beanie654321 Fri 14-May-21 11:43:08

This is exactly what my husband said along with "wheres the Russian report?" It breaks my heart. I personally have had enough of the lies and decite of the government who look out for their own and dismiss others. I know in politics it keeps happening with all parties but this has been the worse.

Dollydinkum Fri 14-May-21 11:47:56

Aepgirl

He’s the best PM we’ve had for many years, he gets the job done and then answers questions. Where would we be if the provision of vaccines had gone to committee before we were allowed to be vaccinated?

...he answers questions but frequently tells untruths in response.

He is a disgrace. Too reliant on his bumbling clown image that covers his mean, manipulative, calculating nature.