Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Reluctance of the young to be vaccinated?

(239 Posts)
Santana Tue 25-May-21 16:01:24

I asked the 19 year old washing my hair at the hairdresser's whether she would have the vaccine when offered. She said although she was reluctant to put something unknown into her body, she guessed she would have to in order to go clubbing or travel.
I agreed that I could see her point, but I expect the vaccines she had as a baby and child could have saved her life.
It must be very difficult for the young to decide.
We did laugh when I said I was going clubbing as I had both my vaccinations!
Won't risk the nose stud or tattoos though. Far to painful.

growstuff Tue 25-May-21 16:04:17

My children are 28 and 23. Does that count as "young"? They can't wait to be vaccinated - for exactly the same reasons as older people - they don't want to be badly affected if they are infected.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 25-May-21 16:05:41

It’s difficult, if it does in fact cause infertility as some have suggested we won’t know for sure for a long time, so there is no way to persuade the young people that it will all be ok.
I’m not sure what my GD will do when she is offered it, she has a heart problem, so if she catches Covid she could be very badly affected, or not, who knows ?

Casdon Tue 25-May-21 16:08:19

Both mine have had their first vaccine already, they are 31 and 24. 49.8% of 18-29s in Wales have been vaccinated so far, it looks as though the uptake overall will be good.

Amberone Tue 25-May-21 16:09:36

But most of the very young would have no experience of - indeed many would not have heard of - polio, scarlet fever, tetanus, hepatitis, rubella, measles, whooping cough, rotavirus, mumps, chicken pox, diptheria, etc.

To be honest I am astounded at some of the rubbish people will pack into their mouths, spray on their bodies and around their homes, slather over their bodies and hair and then they worry about having a vaccine that could save many lives and is highly unlikely to do them any harm?

Alegrias1 Tue 25-May-21 16:15:18

Oopsadaisy1

It’s difficult, if it does in fact cause infertility as some have suggested we won’t know for sure for a long time, so there is no way to persuade the young people that it will all be ok.
I’m not sure what my GD will do when she is offered it, she has a heart problem, so if she catches Covid she could be very badly affected, or not, who knows ?

It most certainly does not cause infertility.

www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n509

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56012529

edition.cnn.com/2021/05/10/health/covid-vaccine-infertility-myth-wellness/index.html

The way to persuade the young is to rely on scientific research and analysis, and not random posts on Facebook.

Gwyneth Tue 25-May-21 16:15:52

Why is it very difficult for the young to decide? If you care about your own health and the health of others then you have the vaccination end of!

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 25-May-21 16:21:23

But that’s the problem, the youngsters get most of their info from Social Media, they don’t bother with Science. The Internet is full of so called problems with the jab and they read most of it.
They’ll happily inject their bodied with Botox, all because someone on FB has had it.
I have a friend who has long Covid , who is still pretty ill and DD has a friend who ended up in Intensive Care with blood clots after her first jab.
It’s no wonder they are dithering about getting it, I really think that if they need a Vaccination Passport to go on Holiday or get into Night Clubs , that will be the way to persuade them to get Vaccinated.

JaneJudge Tue 25-May-21 16:22:14

All my daughters support staff have been vaccinated as has she and her peers. My children want to get vaccinated too. I'm not sure it's true that young people don't want to be vaccinated, they haven't been offered it yet

Gwyneth Tue 25-May-21 16:27:36

I agree janejudge I know my two sons and their friends really want the vaccination when they are offered it. I understand your point about Face book though Oopsadaisy.

JaneJudge Tue 25-May-21 16:29:39

The properly young don't use facebook though, do they? grin

Gwyneth Tue 25-May-21 16:31:46

No they don’t!!!??

Alegrias1 Tue 25-May-21 16:32:23

No, just in my mind grin grin

Gannygangan Tue 25-May-21 16:35:27

My 24 year old is hugely excited about getting hers. Don't think it will be too long for her to wait now.

Amberone Tue 25-May-21 16:45:50

I'm not sure if I am remembering correctly but - when the vaccination was about to be rolled out wasn't there a load of hype about older people refusing to have the vaccine, after a reporter talked to a few people who said they would refuse?

I personally don't know anyone of any age who has refused or will refuse the vaccine, although I know one or two who were dubious initially but went ahead anyway. Everyone in my family who has been offered it has had it and the younger ones say they will have it when offered.

foxie48 Tue 25-May-21 17:07:30

My daughter was done before me as she is a doctor working with Covid patients. She's rather annoyed that some NHS staff have refused to be vaccinated despite having seen younger people die with covid. It's completely crazy.

Casdon Tue 25-May-21 17:13:23

95.1% of frontline NHS staff have now been vaccinated here (Wales), I think people are angry with the exceptions, but the uptake is improving still, for all age groups and in all sectors, including care homes. I think it will be the same for young people, there’s a lot of talk about refusal, but actually the uptake for all age groups has been much higher than was expected, and it will probably be good for them too ultimately.

growstuff Tue 25-May-21 17:17:03

Oopsadaisy1

But that’s the problem, the youngsters get most of their info from Social Media, they don’t bother with Science. The Internet is full of so called problems with the jab and they read most of it.
They’ll happily inject their bodied with Botox, all because someone on FB has had it.
I have a friend who has long Covid , who is still pretty ill and DD has a friend who ended up in Intensive Care with blood clots after her first jab.
It’s no wonder they are dithering about getting it, I really think that if they need a Vaccination Passport to go on Holiday or get into Night Clubs , that will be the way to persuade them to get Vaccinated.

How patronising! "Youngsters" certainly don't get all their news from social media, nor do they all inject their bodies with Botox.

Callistemon Tue 25-May-21 17:23:41

Amberone

I'm not sure if I am remembering correctly but - when the vaccination was about to be rolled out wasn't there a load of hype about older people refusing to have the vaccine, after a reporter talked to a few people who said they would refuse?

I personally don't know anyone of any age who has refused or will refuse the vaccine, although I know one or two who were dubious initially but went ahead anyway. Everyone in my family who has been offered it has had it and the younger ones say they will have it when offered.

Yes, there was a rather daft thread on here about it, something about elderly Britons not wanting the Pfizer jab because it was foreign.

It proved to be another storm in a teacup

GrannyGravy13 Tue 25-May-21 17:39:13

Our 28yr old was offered a vaccine a couple of weeks ago due to no shows at the local clinic and they dropped everything to get there and be jabbed.

BlueBelle Tue 25-May-21 17:45:55

My 18 and 20 year olds have just been invited I think our surgery must be breezing through them They re happy as they will want to go to festivals and travel as soon as able

Doodledog Tue 25-May-21 17:50:52

I only know one young(ish) person who will refuse it, and that's because he and his young family are vegan.

I'm not sure what to make of that, really. I can see that it's a matter of principle for him, his wife agrees, and they both believe that it would be bad for their children.

It's not my decision, though, so it's none of my business - I was grateful to get both of mine.

I know a lot of other young people, and as far as I know, he is the only one of them who has said that he definitely won't be having it.

Thorntrees Tue 25-May-21 17:52:04

Both of my grandchildren,19 and 22 can’t wait to get the vaccine. They are, as are we all, thoroughly fed up of the restrictions on their lives,not to mention the worry that they might transmit the virus to their parents and grandparents.

Alegrias1 Tue 25-May-21 17:55:54

Doodledog

I only know one young(ish) person who will refuse it, and that's because he and his young family are vegan.

I'm not sure what to make of that, really. I can see that it's a matter of principle for him, his wife agrees, and they both believe that it would be bad for their children.

It's not my decision, though, so it's none of my business - I was grateful to get both of mine.

I know a lot of other young people, and as far as I know, he is the only one of them who has said that he definitely won't be having it.

Vegansrock would probably know better than me, but I believe the Vegan Society have said people should take the vaccine.

People seem to be very ill informed. I don't mean you Doodledog, I mean that people are coming up with all sorts of excuses for not having it.

Casdon Tue 25-May-21 18:00:16

You are right Alegrias1*. I’ve got three vegan nieces, and they have all had the vaccine.