Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Andrew Marr - slight summer cold, turned out to be Covid

(96 Posts)
FarNorth Thu 01-Jul-21 22:17:40

Andrew Marr was double vaccinated but still got very ill with covid.
The first symptoms seemed to be a summer cold - not the ones we have been told to look out for.

This article by Marr includes a video -
"Was I just unlucky to get Covid after double vaccine?", Andrew Marr asks Sir Peter Horby, who chairs the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (Nervtag)

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57640550 .

Pippins6133 Fri 02-Jul-21 22:21:52

It’s because Boris didn’t close the border to India in time. He wanted to fly to India to do a trade deal, so kept borders open when we could see on TV how dreadful things were in India. So, that’s why 95% of cases here are of the Indian/Delta variant. Imagine if he’d closed the border in time - only 5% of cases would be so much better to handle.

Yorki Sat 03-Jul-21 00:40:57

I think summer cold's are so much worse than winter colds, It feels like they last forever with no easing of symptoms .

Yorki Sat 03-Jul-21 00:44:24

Pippins6133... Yes I agree with you. It's a shame it happened that way. What a "muck up" . + I'm being polite+.

Yorki Sat 03-Jul-21 00:49:13

Alegrias... The people who've had the vaccine aren't dying are they ? I thought if you caught covid after having both vaccines , you were poorly but not dead . Have I missed something or is someone scare mongering. I noticed a post has being deleted , is that why .

Yorki Sat 03-Jul-21 01:06:15

Deedaa....that's dreadful , how distressing . A family who live close by to me have had Covid and have come through it alright, accept for the mother, who developed it after having both vaccines , this has turned into long Covid and she now has to have a breathing tube 24/7. She was in fine form before developing Covid. How worrying it must be for her , to never know if she'll ever be free of her breathing apparatus. It proves this disease needs to be taken seriously. I hope the young people you mention, don't end up with life long breathing difficulties.

FarNorth Sat 03-Jul-21 01:08:02

The deleted post has been quoted numerous times in other posts, Yorkie, if you want to know what it says.

Alegrias1 Sat 03-Jul-21 09:30:56

Yorki

Alegrias... The people who've had the vaccine aren't dying are they ? I thought if you caught covid after having both vaccines , you were poorly but not dead . Have I missed something or is someone scare mongering. I noticed a post has being deleted , is that why .

Yorki the vaccine isn't 100% effective, no vaccine is, but this one is better than most. People do die after having two doses, but we don't know their medical history, or age, or if their death was do to covid or to something else, and they just happened to have covid at the same time.

People still die of the flu, and of other things that most of us shrug off. I think this is what people mean when they say we have to live with it.

Anda001 Sun 04-Jul-21 10:48:02

I've just had it confirmed that I have Covid. Double vaccinated and haven't been anywhere so god's knows how caught it. And as DH is cev he has been even more careful as he has to walk the dog.

Thankfully I think it's easing but the first three days I felt blooming dreadful.

maddyone Sun 04-Jul-21 11:08:40

If you felt so unwell for three days having been vaccinated, just think how much worse you would have been if you were not vaccinated. Get well soon.

Alegrias1 Sun 04-Jul-21 11:21:17

Get well soon Anda001 flowers

valdali Sun 04-Jul-21 12:09:29

//////////just what I was going to say

nanaK54 Sun 04-Jul-21 12:34:58

Anda001

I've just had it confirmed that I have Covid. Double vaccinated and haven't been anywhere so god's knows how caught it. And as DH is cev he has been even more careful as he has to walk the dog.

Thankfully I think it's easing but the first three days I felt blooming dreadful.

You poor thing, sending get well vibes your way flowers, you must be terribly worried about your DH, really hope that he remains well

JaneJudge Sun 04-Jul-21 12:39:25

I hope you and your husband feel better soon anda smile x

I suspect Andrew Marr might be classed as CEV too, I am sure this will have been mentioned. Maybe that's why he felt knocked about by it

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 04-Jul-21 12:46:42

We watched a documentary about how each of the vaccines were made, and their various journeys into production. It was made clear all along, that none were 100% effective, but did say the AZ may not be as effective against the South African variant. Not in this country at the moment, but after the 19th, who knows?

Alegrias1 Sun 04-Jul-21 12:52:48

Is nobody reading Casdon's link?

The South African variant has been in the UK since April.

I know everyone thinks I'm being pedantic, looking for fault. But in my view, having the right information is important in this pandemic. There's a thread going on about how the AZ vaccine is unpopular in Australia, and so people are refusing the vaccination because of unsubstantiated fears. So when people state something as gospel that just isn't true, it can have unforeseen outcomes.

Please, just check before making statements that are demonstrably wrong.

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 04-Jul-21 13:02:40

Alegrias1

Is nobody reading Casdon's link?

The South African variant has been in the UK since April.

I know everyone thinks I'm being pedantic, looking for fault. But in my view, having the right information is important in this pandemic. There's a thread going on about how the AZ vaccine is unpopular in Australia, and so people are refusing the vaccination because of unsubstantiated fears. So when people state something as gospel that just isn't true, it can have unforeseen outcomes.

Please, just check before making statements that are demonstrably wrong.

We’re just going by what was said in the documentary. Maybe it was a few weeks old before we saw it. We do tape everything.

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 04-Jul-21 13:05:30

Ps...where is Casdons link? I can’t even find her, let alone her link!

Alegrias1 Sun 04-Jul-21 13:23:19

It's probably on another thread shock. I'm gardening and not really paying attention grin

Sorry!

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 04-Jul-21 14:48:20

Alegrias1

It's probably on another thread shock. I'm gardening and not really paying attention grin

Sorry!

Gardening is probably much better for you?

Zaseret Sun 04-Jul-21 17:23:49

From today’s Sunday Times: of the 92,029 people who tested positive for the Delta variant in England, 7,235 had received both vaccine doses at least 2 weeks before, according to Public Health England. Of those, just 190 required at least an overnight in hospital and unfortunately 50 died.
So less than 10% had been fully vaccinated, which is in line with everything that has been said, but of those only about 2.5% ie one in 40 needed some form of inpatient hospital treatment. We don’t know whether any of them had other health issues.
Furthermore, it stated that no one under 50 has died of the Delta variant after receiving both doses.
I also read the interview before with Andrew Marr who did say that he had felt invincible (how silly given his health history) so was surprised to get COVID and feel so bad BUT was fully ok by the time his isolation period was up. In other words he was ill for some 10 days and then able to return to work, despite being in his 60s, still suffering some effects from his stroke and having Cancer less than 5 years ago.