Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Why are the young reluctant to take the vaccine?

(136 Posts)
MawBe Sat 10-Jul-21 11:05:06

In today’s Times
While more than 95 per cent of the over-50s have been vaccinated, the rate is 76 per cent in those aged 30-34 and is now plateauing. So far 58 per cent of those aged 18 to 24 have had a first jab.

Unvaccinated young people are believed to be behind a rise in cases. One in 160 people in England were thought to have the coronavirus after a 58 per cent rise over seven days, according to the Office for National Statistics. It estimates that 332,900 people had the virus in the week ending July 3, similar to levels in mid-October, with cases more than ten times higher in those aged 16-24 than the over-70s

So why the apparent reluctance? Are they complacent? Or perhaps they associate it with us old dears (remember the misguided and unfortunate “Don’t Kill Your Granny” campaign?
Perhaps they feel secure, believing they won’t get it seriously or that they somehow are immune.
Or are they less aware of the benefits of vaccination despite benefiting from immunisation more that any previous generation?
Whatever it is, this needs to be addressed to protect everybody

CafeAuLait Sat 10-Jul-21 12:23:38

Do the young feel the same sense of collective responsibility older generations might have? Do they feel less supported by the collective so less responsible to it maybe?

ayse Sat 10-Jul-21 12:26:18

I’ve just read on BBC that the Pfizer vaccine can have the unwelcome side effect of a heart problem especially for young men, although this is rare.

We just don’t know about any long term effects of any of these vaccines.

Alegrias1 Sat 10-Jul-21 12:28:05

I read Dr Toshner's article. Even signed up to a free trial with the Spectator for it. The things I do to be informed.

The article is concerned with a geographical variation in the interpretation of the "8-12 week" rule and nothing to do with why younger people might or might not be less enthusiastic about the vaccine.

He calls the 8-12 weeks "arbitrary" which out me off him a bit.

JaneJudge Sat 10-Jul-21 12:28:48

One of mine falls into the 18-24 age group. He went to the first available vaccine clinic and 12 days after caught Covid confused
They only started offering it to over 18s about a month ago?

Chewbacca Sat 10-Jul-21 12:29:00

A neighbour's son, still at college, said that his friends won't have the vaccines because they "think it's for wimps". Apparently, one of the group did and was jeered and laughed at for being "chicken".

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 10-Jul-21 12:29:56

We have noticed the daily numbers of those vaccinated has dropped significantly. We wondered why. If it’s a shortage of vaccines, or people just don’t want them.
Young people may very well think they’re invincible. I probably would have done at that age.

grannyactivist Sat 10-Jul-21 12:31:03

All my family have been vaccinated, but one young couple took a great deal of time to deliberate before doing so. They have not yet completed their family and wanted to be sure that, on balance, it was better to be vaccinated than not.

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 10-Jul-21 12:32:25

JaneJudge

One of mine falls into the 18-24 age group. He went to the first available vaccine clinic and 12 days after caught Covid confused

Yes, I’ve often thought that Jane. Contracting covid in the vaccination queue! Is your son ok?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 10-Jul-21 12:39:44

There have been walk-in clinics in my area of S E Essex on several Saturdays the queues have been long, we thought the majority looked young

We do not know anyone over 18 who hasn’t had at least one vaccine, our youngest will get their second this week.

BlueBelle Sat 10-Jul-21 12:45:05

All my grandkids friends were desperate to get their first jab (if only to go to festivals and travel) as I said in an early thread about this they were queuing right around the block on the first day they opened it up to 18 s in my area and a number of people wrote that the same had happened in their town
I don’t really think it’s useful blaming the kids

JaneJudge Sat 10-Jul-21 13:07:35

DiscoDancer1975

JaneJudge

Yes, I’ve often thought that Jane. Contracting covid in the vaccination queue! Is your son ok?

Yes he was fine. It was just like a cold, runny nose, bit of a dry cough, headache, sore throat and he said his back ached for a few days. I thought he had hayfever and was milking it a bit. He was already well again when the positive result came through blush

We are now waiting for our results confused

Baggs Sat 10-Jul-21 13:12:11

Alegrias1

I read Dr Toshner's article. Even signed up to a free trial with the Spectator for it. The things I do to be informed.

The article is concerned with a geographical variation in the interpretation of the "8-12 week" rule and nothing to do with why younger people might or might not be less enthusiastic about the vaccine.

He calls the 8-12 weeks "arbitrary" which out me off him a bit.

I've heard the claim of arbitrariness before too. Initially a shorter gap was suggested but then it was changed so that, as I understand it anyway, more people could be given their first shot.

This isn't arbitrary in one sense – there was a good reason for the change – but it is technically arbitrary because nobody really knew what the best gap between shots should be.

When I had my first Pfizer shot I was told that they'd contact me again in twelve weeks. Actually I had the second jab after eight weeks. No explanation was given. So I can understand how plebs like me can think the gap chosen was arbitrary.

Once again though, I suspect Toshner knows what he's talking about in scientific terms, especially as other scientists have made the same claim.

Baggs Sat 10-Jul-21 13:16:35

Last three pras of the article:

"The first part of the vaccine roll-out has been a triumph, but that should not put it beyond constructive criticism. The delay to the second dose was an audacious and successful calculated gamble led by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation. But it was there initially to solve the problem of limited supply and a raging second wave. There can be no doubt that it saved lives.

Now, though, we have a different problem: we need to administer as many second doses as possible, as soon as possible. As the easing of restrictions looms, it is difficult to see why we are not just ramping through the second doses, bringing vaccination schedules forward and ensuring those that have already had a single dose are better protected in the short to medium term.

Instead we are stuck with a rigid enforcement of a slightly arbitrary 8-12 week schedule, which risks undercutting the current need to get as many people fully dosed as possible. It would be a shame to see younger people scapegoated (as they have consistently been at various points during the pandemic), when there are plenty of people mostly in their twenties and thirties who are keen to get second doses which they are currently prevented from having."

Not sure I would equate "calculated gamble" with arbitrary. Subtle difference.

Baggs Sat 10-Jul-21 13:16:50

*paras

MawBe Sat 10-Jul-21 13:23:29

Galaxy

I didnt put words in your mouth. Throughout this pandemic there has often been a narrative of young versus old, I am afraid I am free to express my views on that.

In the early weeks and months of the vaccination programme there was a worryingly lower take up among certain ethnic groups.
An organised and well publicised campaign was initiated to reassure these groups and encourage them to come forward for vaccination.
Would you have applied your comment about a narrative of young versus old to a “narrative of white versus colour”?

As has been said, you brought this “narrative” into the conversation, not I nor the author of the article.

Alegrias1 Sat 10-Jul-21 13:24:20

Not true that no-one knows the best gap.
www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-vaccine-second-doses-centre-b1877217.html

Instead we are stuck with a rigid enforcement of a slightly arbitrary 8-12 week schedule, which risks undercutting the current need to get as many people fully dosed as possible.

Quote from the original article and your extract from it. Arbitrary.

MawBe Sat 10-Jul-21 13:27:01

There is something about the idea of vaccinating people in order to protect others that makes me uneasy

Would you apply that argument to the Rubella, Polio, TB, Chickenpox, Mumps or Measles vaccination drives?
confusedconfusedconfused

Lin52 Sat 10-Jul-21 13:30:48

Baggs

Couldn't remember wherre I'd read the above stuff. Now I've found it: Don't Blame Young People for Plummeting Vaccination Rates by Dr Mark Toshner.

Shame you can only read that if you subscribe to the Spectator. Something important as this should be free, surely?

grannysyb Sat 10-Jul-21 13:34:22

Both my older DGCs, 18 and 19 have had their first jabs and they are waiting for their second one, they didn't hesitate, nor did their friends.

Galaxy Sat 10-Jul-21 13:37:46

Oh I am sorry Jane, hope you hear soon.
I would say there were certainly discussions to be had Maw about all sorts of issues relating to ethnic groups and the pandemic. The fact that people from some of those groups were more likely to work in high risk jobs in terms of the the pandemic, and the way we should respond to those who are reluctant to be vaccinated, those who we have been very happy to expose to considerable risk before vaccination became available. I feel the same about the current 'let's sack them if they wont be vaccinated' with regard to care workers. Its complex and if I was a young person I dont know if I would rush for vaccination.

Galaxy Sat 10-Jul-21 13:41:48

On the whole those diseases are a risk to the young, in particular with regard to children the risk of serious illness from covid is low, I am not sure how I feel about children mainly being vaccinated in order to protect others.

Hithere Sat 10-Jul-21 13:44:27

The numbers in the OP also need to be out in perspective according to the timeline of vaccination availability
Could all ages get vaccinated at the same time?
Did different age ranges start vaccinations later than others?

There is a thread on GN where a bunch of posters said they didnt want to take the vaccine.

Refusal to take it happens in all ages instead of the incorrect assumption that ""youngsters" dont care"

Also, plenty of posters display a perceived less caution level than others - visiting family, for example.

The view of " do it, you only live once" can be applied to anybody

growstuff Sat 10-Jul-21 13:51:39

Some of the comments on here are based on the premise that young people are reluctant, but the latest ONS stats don't appear to support that. It appears that they were initially more reluctant, but not now. Maybe they've read that the most affected group is now 20-29 year olds and they've read more about long Covid.

PS. I'll see if I can find out the source about shortages of Pfizer vaccine.

PPS. Anecdotally, the parents of teenagers I know want their school age children to be vaccinated. We've had a big outbreak in this area with most of the affected being children, so maybe that's why.

growstuff Sat 10-Jul-21 13:57:15

Galaxy

On the whole those diseases are a risk to the young, in particular with regard to children the risk of serious illness from covid is low, I am not sure how I feel about children mainly being vaccinated in order to protect others.

Children wouldn't be vaccinated to protect others. They'd be vaccinated primarily to reduce the risk of their being affected by long Covid, which can affect even children who aren't initially seriously ill, themselves.

The only way they'd be protecting others is if vaccination cuts transmission and the data aren't clear about that. The only certain way to prevent transmission is to cut contact, which we know isn't realistic.

Galaxy Sat 10-Jul-21 14:03:19

Thanks growstuff, so if that is the case, why are they talking about making vaccination compulsory in the health service for example, if there isnt enough evidence on transmission.