Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Why are the young reluctant to take the vaccine?

(136 Posts)
MawBe Sat 10-Jul-21 11:05:06

In today’s Times
While more than 95 per cent of the over-50s have been vaccinated, the rate is 76 per cent in those aged 30-34 and is now plateauing. So far 58 per cent of those aged 18 to 24 have had a first jab.

Unvaccinated young people are believed to be behind a rise in cases. One in 160 people in England were thought to have the coronavirus after a 58 per cent rise over seven days, according to the Office for National Statistics. It estimates that 332,900 people had the virus in the week ending July 3, similar to levels in mid-October, with cases more than ten times higher in those aged 16-24 than the over-70s

So why the apparent reluctance? Are they complacent? Or perhaps they associate it with us old dears (remember the misguided and unfortunate “Don’t Kill Your Granny” campaign?
Perhaps they feel secure, believing they won’t get it seriously or that they somehow are immune.
Or are they less aware of the benefits of vaccination despite benefiting from immunisation more that any previous generation?
Whatever it is, this needs to be addressed to protect everybody

Ellianne Sat 17-Jul-21 09:36:02

EllianneIs there any evidence of other vaccinations affecting the foetus? I don't know, maybe not Monica. I guess it's not usually the sort of thing an expectant mother asks at her first ante natal appointment, but it was categorically the advice given in this instance of the 2nd covid jab. I am keen to listen if anyone here finds out more.
I believe someone further up the thread said it might be an idea not to get pregnant while covid is around, but with the biological clock ticking or a person having difficulties conceiving, time may be of the essence. Another ghastly reminder we are all in this for the long haul.

growstuff Sat 17-Jul-21 09:47:08

The official NHS advice is for pregnant women to be vaccinated.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine/

growstuff Sat 17-Jul-21 09:51:24

The Royal College of of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists has produced an information sheet.

www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/guidelines/2021-02-24-combined-info-sheet-and-decision-aid.pdf

Ellianne Sat 17-Jul-21 09:55:00

?

OnwardandUpward Sat 17-Jul-21 11:36:22

Ellianne

^EllianneIs there any evidence of other vaccinations affecting the foetus?^ I don't know, maybe not Monica. I guess it's not usually the sort of thing an expectant mother asks at her first ante natal appointment, but it was categorically the advice given in this instance of the 2nd covid jab. I am keen to listen if anyone here finds out more.
I believe someone further up the thread said it might be an idea not to get pregnant while covid is around, but with the biological clock ticking or a person having difficulties conceiving, time may be of the essence. Another ghastly reminder we are all in this for the long haul.

I mentioned that I would probably avoid it, but its easy for me to say as I'm past the age of wanting to reproduce. What I should have said is, I feel sorry for anyone reproducing in these times. I look back to the times when I was pregnant and think how simple life was back then.

Totally understandable that biological clocks will still be ticking, just sorry for the extra stress it will involve. I read somewhere (not sure if it was correct) that unvaccinated pregnant women will need to isolate for their whole pregnancy and that if they catch covid it can make stillbirth twice as likely? I do pity the young.

Savvy Thu 22-Jul-21 00:15:14

I was talking to a neighbour yesterday, a young mother with two children, the eldest of which is only 8. I asked if she'd had her jabs and she said no. When I asked her why, she replied 'well you only need them to go clubbing and I never go anywhere.' I was astounded! She may not be going clubbing, but she certainly goes shopping, to take the kids to school, to visit her parents and her boyfriend - all of which is on public transport!

Scorp007 Tue 27-Jul-21 10:08:10

Twitter is awash with coronavirus information and studies - it is NOT just a chat/social media site. Politicians, the government, doctors, epidemiologists,virologists, ONS etc all post there. It really is the place to go nowadays for up to date news and information. Alas the BBC/ITV etc are very selective with what they report.

OnwardandUpward Tue 27-Jul-21 10:14:15

It's true. I follow Dr Samantha Batt Rawden on Twitter and have done all along. If you want to know what is really happening I recommend following her. She is an NHS Dr who has campaigned against misinformation all along. If you want to help her you can favourite her posts or retweet her. The NHS need all the support they can get.
If you want to know what is really happening you can google a hashtag, too. A lot happens that the news channels never report.

Gabrielle56 Fri 30-Jul-21 12:55:27

ayse

I’ve just read on BBC that the Pfizer vaccine can have the unwelcome side effect of a heart problem especially for young men, although this is rare.

We just don’t know about any long term effects of any of these vaccines.

Here we go............"I've just read" or "they" say......."or. " Someone knows someone..."! We used to play this at school! Chinese whispers anyone?......

Caleo Fri 30-Jul-21 13:17:36

The head midwife today on BBC TV said the vaccine for pregnant women protects the foetus thus: if the mother gets covid and needs to be hospitalised she might need to be nursed on her tummy. Pregnant women who have covid may need caesarean section, and their baby will be premature. Premature babies are not very strong. So the pregant woman needs to protect herself in order to protect the life of her baby.

I hope I have reported this correctly.