Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Chris Whitty - another lockdown

(477 Posts)
Curlygirl Fri 16-Jul-21 00:39:51

I’ve just read that Chris Whitty has said that England could be sent into another lockdown within weeks as Covid cases are rising fast. Am I imagining it or is this not the same Chris Whitty who stood alongside BJ only last Monday and appeared to endorse lifting restrictions from the 19th? How can anyone have any faith in this government they obviously don’t have a clue what to do next.

O

Whitewavemark2 Fri 16-Jul-21 01:50:11

The under 50s are suffering organ damage almost as high as our age group.

There must be protection.

We knew this was going to end badly.

I’m beginning to wonder if this government has more than two brain cells between them.

Lin52 Fri 16-Jul-21 02:17:26

I would add the scientists also in that equation. Netherlands also possibly going back into lockdown because of Government failings.

BigBertha1 Fri 16-Jul-21 06:11:47

I think this is from a speech he made recently urging extreme caution as we could find ourselves in another rapidly rising wave.

NotAGran55 Fri 16-Jul-21 06:50:04

CurlyGirl could you add the link please where you have read this?

Jaxjacky Fri 16-Jul-21 07:26:35

Echoing the request from NotaGran please can you add the reference for your post Curlygirl.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 16-Jul-21 07:34:41

I have just googled this and it came up with a story in the Daily Mirror.

Gwyneth Fri 16-Jul-21 07:42:35

Check the BBC website Chris Whitty talks about being cautious etc but doesn’t mention another lockdown. The Press may be just using scaremongering tactics again.

Jaxjacky Fri 16-Jul-21 07:47:10

GG13 found it, thanks. He says the PM may have to consider further restrictions.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 16-Jul-21 07:47:47

Gwyneth

Check the BBC website Chris Whitty talks about being cautious etc but doesn’t mention another lockdown. The Press may be just using scaremongering tactics again.

Unfortunately that’s what they do to sell newspapers.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 16-Jul-21 07:48:34

It is a repeat pattern of last year.

Ease off in the summer back into lockdown just in time for the new school year.

There isn’t a single other country behaving like this.

NotAGran55 Fri 16-Jul-21 07:56:58

Thank you for the BBC reference.

No mention of lockdown within weeks ? Not the article that OP has read .

Ellianne Fri 16-Jul-21 07:57:19

Ease off in the summer back into lockdown just in time for the new school year.
That would be disastrous.

MissAdventure Fri 16-Jul-21 08:01:02

I think that's exactly what is going to happen, as unpopular as it is to hold that opinion.

MissAdventure Fri 16-Jul-21 08:01:18

I think that is exactly what is going to happen, as unpopular opinion as it is.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 16-Jul-21 08:06:51

I think that we will certainly have to expect something like this.

Cases are at 50k and set to at least double. We were told last year that covid is expected to drop throughout the summer months and rise in winter. The greater the spread, the higher the chance of a new variant.

R is between 1.3-1.5

Deaths lag by at least 3 weeks - 43 yesterday

The young are being seriously affected by covid attacking their major organs and by long covid.

Pfizer supply is slowing down - the vaccine of choice for the young.

But we knew all this didn’t we? We don’t need telling when it is common sense.

nanna8 Fri 16-Jul-21 08:08:27

Well for your sakes I hope it isn't like ours. No visitors except one in your 'bubble'. Only a 5 km radius allowed for essential shopping/exercise. Shops etc all shut except chemists and supermarkets. Masks indoors and outdoors. Only allowed one other person to exercise/walk with. Lockdown seems to be more often than not round here. They will let you go out to get a vaccination or have a Covid test. Aren't we lucky? Might go just for something to do....

MissAdventure Fri 16-Jul-21 08:10:38

Yes.
I have morning tv on, and they are saying that Whitty has said a rise in cases could result in another lockdown.
Well, we have a rise in cases.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 16-Jul-21 08:13:53

If anyone credits Johnson and his pals any credibility after this carnage then they need to give their head a wobble.

No point in ever listening to him as nothing he says is true.

Alegrias1 Fri 16-Jul-21 08:16:19

I think it's time for us all to start running around with our hands in the air again isn't it?

The media has so much to answer for.

Just one thing to say....the R rate in Scotland has been between 1.3 and 1.5 for about 3 weeks. Cases are going down.

Stop panicking.

MissAdventure Fri 16-Jul-21 08:17:19

I'm not sure anyone is panicking.
It's just the same old, same old.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 16-Jul-21 08:18:17

Not panicking.

Just bloody annoyed.

Can you explain how if the R is 1.5 the cases are in fact dropping? Maths are not my best subject.

Alegrias1 Fri 16-Jul-21 08:22:56

Because it's an estimate. Because it's historic. Because one measure is not enough to base the whole trajectory of a pandemic on.

MissAdventure Fri 16-Jul-21 08:26:22

Has it always been an estimate then?
I'm not being facetious; I really don't understand it all.
Would they be hinting at another lockdown based on an estimate?

Casdon Fri 16-Jul-21 08:28:27

I’m sure it’s because of the school holidays, England and Wales will probably go down over the next few weeks as most break up for the summer today, and Scotland will go back up again soon when the children return at the beginning of August.