Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

End of self isolation?

(82 Posts)
Daisymae Sun 18-Jul-21 08:37:30

Apparently Johnson and Sunak are not self isolating despite being pinged after contact with Javid, according to the guardian today. I suspect that probably means others will consider it optional?

Galaxy Sun 18-Jul-21 10:46:25

Ok its beginning to sound as if there is some reversal going on now. I think there may be a change of plan grin

MawBe Sun 18-Jul-21 10:47:30

Talk about one rule for the plebs (us all) and one rule for them
Why should anyone listen to anythig they say anymore. I am incandecent about this, and I can assure you I am not the only one. Just talked to close relatives who are lifelong Cons and they are as angry as we are. Their grandchildren have recently lost a lot of school time, one daughter found herself without childcare, and another son lost a massive opportunity- due to having to isolate

I’m sure many who work for TFL or Border Force would regard themselves as plebs according to your definition but I can also imagine the pearl clutching and outrage on GN if the entire “ping” protocol were abandoned without trialling first.
Damned if they do and damned if they don’t? hmm
“Losing a lot of school time, being without childcare or losing business opportunities because of having to self-isolate” is about par for the course and considerably less serious than many others have had to cope with, so spare us the violins please.

Blossoming Sun 18-Jul-21 10:48:16

If anyone still needed proof that we are not all in this together and it’s one rule for the elite and another for we plebeians then surely this is it. Many people will still make excuses for them though.

25Avalon Sun 18-Jul-21 10:49:48

Kali2 part of the problem is it gets sensationalised by some of the media without giving a proper explanation so, of course, people think ‘s*d this’ as do those who have been ignoring it for a while anyway.

Blossoming Sun 18-Jul-21 10:50:52

randomised controlled trial my a**e.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 18-Jul-21 10:51:53

Kali2

Very brave Avalon, and I'll of course respect your opinion.

But I totally disagree- as people will now just delete their ap and say 's*d this' - if they are again, and again, apply the 'do as I say not as I do' tactic- then I am NO longer listenig to anything they say.

Back to Lock down by September?

This pilot scheme has absolutely nothing to do with the App.
It only applies if you are rang by Test and Trace.
As fo folks now deleting the App, only a small percentage of the population downloaded it. (Will try and find the exact percentage)

MaizieD Sun 18-Jul-21 10:52:08

Aaah, Sunak has just announced that he's not going to take part in the 'trial', he's going to self isolate like everyone else has to.

polishing his halo for he leadership bid

Polarbear2 Sun 18-Jul-21 10:54:29

MaizieD

Aaah, Sunak has just announced that he's not going to take part in the 'trial', he's going to self isolate like everyone else has to.

--polishing his halo for he leadership bid--

And there we have it. Shiny new person ??. ?‍♀️

GrannyGravy13 Sun 18-Jul-21 10:55:11

MaizieD

Let’s hope so, first non-whitePM of U.K. how refreshing!

MaizieD Sun 18-Jul-21 10:57:04

This pilot scheme has absolutely nothing to do with the App.
It only applies if you are rang by Test and Trace.

So how come Test & Trace and the app are completely unconnected? Another novel feature from our £37 billions worth of public investment?

What if you're pinged and rung?

And, do you understand how bogus this 'trial' is?

The word you're looking for is 'rung', BTW

JaneJudge Sun 18-Jul-21 10:58:13

Losing a lot of school time, being without childcare or losing business opportunities because of having to self-isolate” is about par for the course and considerably less serious than many others have had to cope with, so spare us the violins please

'Young' people are really struggling, emotionally and financially. It is not unreasonable to expect children to receive an education. One of the classes in my sons school has been sent home 6 times for a 10 day isolation period, despite many of them have had confirmed covid. That is 36 days off school minimum taking into account weekends on top of all the time they have been off school anyway and some of these children need the safety of school. We have been quite fortunate only having to isolate once but it's more luck than judgement. People on low pay especially having to isolate must have a devastating impact.

Nezumi, I hope your sons care team are all back at work soon flowers

25Avalon Sun 18-Jul-21 10:59:09

They are both self isolating now after all the criticism.

I must say it doesn’t seem to me that Boris has his eye on the game. He thinks Freedom or Freedumb day as one newspaper dubbed it will be welcomed. Actually no as the vast majority think we should still wear masks and practise social distancing and will continue to do so. Perhaps another U turn tomorrow?

MaizieD Sun 18-Jul-21 11:00:46

GrannyGravy13

MaizieD

Let’s hope so, first non-whitePM of U.K. how refreshing!

Well, I suppose after electing a clown we might as well run the whole gamut of possibilities.

I suppose you're eagerly anticipating deep austerity measures with swingeing cuts to public investment*, privatisation of the NHS and a bonfire of workers' rights regulations.

*causing a deep recession because Sunak is economically illiterate..

25Avalon Sun 18-Jul-21 11:03:02

Michael Gove avoided self isolating in June by a similar scheme.

Galaxy Sun 18-Jul-21 11:03:29

Surely that was the quickest reverse ferret yet. I know there has been lots of competition but pretty impressive.

25Avalon Sun 18-Jul-21 11:04:16

MaizieD your post could be considered racist.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 18-Jul-21 11:04:51

MaizieD perhaps you could offer your fiscal policy knowledge to Mr.Sunak?

For the record I am not eagerly anticipating anything from The Government as the U.K. along with the entire world is currently steering through uncharted waters

Nezumi65 Sun 18-Jul-21 11:04:58

Thanks JaneJudge - I am concerned as the team are under powered at the moment anyway and I know so many people being pinged.

I see they have read the room & will self isolate. It’s not as if they’re doing jobs that can’t be done from home anyway (much as Johnson loves a hi-viz). They must have noticed that even the Daily Mail comments section was frothing grin

GrannyGravy13 Sun 18-Jul-21 11:05:40

25Avalon

Absolutely

BigBertha1 Sun 18-Jul-21 11:06:18

Just heard on the news they are isolating.

MaizieD Sun 18-Jul-21 11:07:47

25Avalon

No, I thought about that before I posted. I don't think it can be construed as racist in view of what I was responding to. I don't think we should choose our leaders by their novelty value, but by their competence to do the job.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 18-Jul-21 11:08:23

Nezumi65

Thanks JaneJudge - I am concerned as the team are under powered at the moment anyway and I know so many people being pinged.

I see they have read the room & will self isolate. It’s not as if they’re doing jobs that can’t be done from home anyway (much as Johnson loves a hi-viz). They must have noticed that even the Daily Mail comments section was frothing grin

Let’s see if the Daily Mail comments section is frothing when train drivers, Border Force and other essential workers self isolate instead of testing every day on this trial…

No trains, essential services closed etc…

Nezumi65 Sun 18-Jul-21 11:08:30

Sunak is a hedge fund manager married to a billionaire’s daughter. Anyone who has experienced ‘care’ provided by hedge fund backed corporate care companies (or worked for one) will realise what bad news someone with that background is for most of us.

JaneJudge Sun 18-Jul-21 11:09:33

GrannyGravy13

Nezumi65

Let’s see if the Daily Mail comments section is frothing when train drivers, Border Force and other essential workers self isolate instead of testing every day on this trial…

No trains, essential services closed etc…

Trains were cancelled here yesterday in/out of London because of lack of staff. Not that I was planning to go anywhere, I just heard it on the radio

MerylStreep Sun 18-Jul-21 11:09:33

Your scraping the barrel when you have to resort to pointing out spelling/ grammatical errors to score a point.
Bit sad really ?