Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Lockdown Gang - carry on chatting ⭐️

(1001 Posts)
Doodle Fri 20-Aug-21 20:59:41

Welcome all.

Kaimoana Sun 17-Oct-21 05:17:30

Forgot: Yes Doodle Gubbins is standing and letting go to practice balancing, which she can now do easily. Next step...hahaha...is walking.

NfkDumpling Sun 17-Oct-21 08:17:13

I agree wholeheartedly about Santa. I never liked the feeling of lying. My lot got rather confused between Father Christmas and God!

BoadiceaJones Sun 17-Oct-21 21:18:39

Thank you for your kind words about Georgette, dear friends. That ginger cat is going to get a spray of the waterpistol if I see him lurking again. The little kitties are so frightened when they see him hanging about outside the French windows, they let out the most frightening howl, like a wolf, and dive for cover. I don't think he has been neutered, so he's an aggressive thing. Ugh...spraying on the windows... sad At least we don't have foxes...it must be terrible trying to keep chickens safe in high-security prisons.

You have all been so busy and engaged in the last weeks! Such lovely pictures of roses, and that cosy fire looks so inviting! Kaimoana - so glad to read that you have bubbled up with your little family. Your grandson sounds delightful - little ones are adorable, but it's another, even more exciting phase when you can talk meaningfully with them, isn't it. The young have such delightfully fresh ideas and imaginations, even if they can be off the wall sometimes! And Gubbins is about to take off - how exciting!

Nfk - i really enjoyed your account of the duel with the sewing machine. I quite understand your enmity - they truly are the work of the devil, unless you actually really enjoy machine sewing. Useful and all, but why do they always go wrong? Or maybe it's the operator, in my case.

Doodle - your maritime epic sounds amazing! I hope you have a really marvellous time.

We are in high hopes of level 2 lockdown announcement today - though I fear that there are many unreported cases in the community. Just no reported ones. A very good friend has just sold her land up in the wilds of the Far North, where she was living off the grid, and yesterday called in to say goodbye as she moved south to be closer to family. We couldn't even hug sad, though she had had a negative test - part of the procedure for passing through Auckland and the Waikato, along with all the paperwork. Checkpoints to negotiate all the way south to Lake Taupo. And yet, stupid people are still slipping through the back roads from areas of infection.

It's a beautiful day here, after torrential rain. I must make the most of it while the soil is soft and easy to work. Stay warm and safe, everyone. x

Grammaretto Sun 17-Oct-21 21:34:45

It is strange to think of you in NZ having checkpoints and worries about the virus. You were doing so well for so long.
Here when They announce another 119 deaths it's as though we are in some dystopian state and nobody takes much notice.

I am the only one in the family who still believes in Santa smile I love to see the stockings hanging up and the scent of pine and wood smoke.

I can't believe it's coming up for a year next month since DH died.
You have been such a support to me you lovely people.
Thank you, lovely Lob-stars.
xxxxxx

BoadiceaJones Sun 17-Oct-21 21:40:42

Grammaretto - I'm so very very sorry about your loss-it must be so raw, particularly when significant dates roll round.
Keep strong and look after yourself. x

Grammaretto Sun 17-Oct-21 21:52:40

BoadiceaJones thank you xxx

Kaimoana Mon 18-Oct-21 07:16:52

All hopes dashed. Strict lockdown continues until 1st November at least. sad

Grammaretto we love Christmas as well, though my dgs felt the Coca-Cola instigated Santa which generates lies, is wrong.

I agree about the horrible, scary dystopian feeling. Helicopters circle overhead, police sirening down the road and with barriers on every main exit road, you cannot help being afraid.

This how that lovely rose opened, looking more like a Camellia. I send it to everyone who needs a little bit of beauty and love.

Doodle Mon 18-Oct-21 12:53:23

Grammaretto glad you’ve had your booster. Any side effects? DH and I are due ours and our flu jabs when we get back from our holiday.
We had a wet and rainy day yesterday. Today is dry but completely misty/foggy. Can’t see anything much outside at all.
Must be a difficult year of ‘firsts’ for you since losing MrG. It doesn’t really seem a year but I remember well how desperate you were to get him home and how good it was to hear of the lovely time you got to spend together as a family.
I love Christmas too. Just the lights and atmosphere. I always enjoyed it as a child which is why I suppose I still do these days.
Nfk I love using my machine but really only for quilting. Dressmaking isn’t my forte at all even though I have made two pairs of trousers recently. I’m itching to start a new project. Not sure how it will turn out and I’ve yet to choose the fabric.
It’s called a convergence quilt where you have four different squares which you join, cut, move, join again, cut again, turn sideways, join again, cut again etc…. I have a feeling I’ll get confused but can’t wait to have a go.
Nortsat I think I missed it was your birthday. So sorry, belated happy returns. Hope you had a nice day.
I love the symbol of your D flag. Manoeuvring with difficulty ….yep that would be me. ?
Kaimoana hope your DIL recovers fro her jab soon. I suffer from tinnitus and it’s not pleasant.
So little Gubbins is getting ready to walk, I’m not surprised. You’ll all have your work cut out when those little legs start toddling off?
Lovely to hear you had the family over again and Luka got to stay. What fun you must have had making Christmas paper.
Boadicea I hope you are coping with the loss of Georgette, I feel so sad for you. Hope the ginger cat stays away.
Hope your lockdown situation eases. Keep safe.
Oh dear, just read Kaimoana’s post that lockdown continues. So sorry for you all.
Lovely flower. Thank you
Mamissimo still thinking of you and your DD. Hope she’s coping ok.
Missedout muse Jan Panache dragonfly cherry and The Molls wishing you all well.

Doodle Mon 18-Oct-21 12:54:10

Been having trouble connecting. Just got internet for a second so here I am posting one I prepared earlier ?

Jan16 Mon 18-Oct-21 18:22:35

Hi Everyone. This is one poster reappearing after a few weeks absence.
I have been reading everyone’s post and I’m so sorry to read from Kaimoana and BoadiceaJones of the problems in beautiful NZ. Remember how miserable and sad it was when we were in Lockdown. Fingers crossed that it won’t happen again but who knows. There still seem to be for too many cases and still so many deaths. Mr J and I are well and truly jabbed having had 3 Covid and 1 flu jab!
Been a strange few weeks for me. No real reason but I’ve been feeling very unmotivated and “can’t be bothered” recently! Hence no posting! However with the help of my amazing GP things are starting to improve very gradually.
Pleased to hear Doodle is enjoying her cruise. We have one booked for February.
Grammaretto gosh that year since you lost your DH seems to have gone so quickly although I’m sure it’s seemed a lifetime to you. I remember how I felt when my first husband died. Love to you.
Do hope Cherry and Panache will soon be back with us.
Hello to the new posters - must make an effort to keep up with everyone!

Grammaretto Tue 19-Oct-21 14:04:55

Hello Gang,

I spoke to NZ son today and he's not feeling hopeful re covid. We agreed that we were extraordinarily lucky that he was able to travel here last year to be at his dad's deathbed.
He thinks they will have to replan their summer holidays now. as they were proposing to camp in the Coromandel peninsular.

It's lovely to hear from you Doodle and I am sure you are having a lovely time despite the imperfect weather.
I'm glad you are feeling more your old self Jan.

I hope others are too.
Any more news from the Stars? ???

Thanks for the beautiful rose Kaimoana

Ours are almost done now though I could probably manage a small bunch.
I'm sending you the view from my walk to make you appreciate what you have!! It was atmospheric but too foggy..

Kaimoana Tue 19-Oct-21 20:31:40

Welcome back Jan16 - the unmotivated feeling is probaly the end-of-summer lethargy, it happens to many. Then you get weary of winter and it all happens again! grin

Your picture certainly makes me appreciate what you have Grammaretto, I'm so envious that you have access to such a lovely area.
Oh dear, how sad for your family to have to cancel a holiday on the Coromandel. It's such a beautiful, wild place.
My son and I used to go rock hunting there.

Wonderful to hear from you Doodle I am SO glad you're having a happy time. You and the First Mate deserve it. smile Are there facilities for massage on your ship which may help his poor back?

When my dgs was here, we discussed how food had changed since I was his age.
'Did you have gruel?' he asked seriously. Bless him.

If you thought UK food prices were high, look at this grin

My poor dil now has the king of all headaches - I feel so sorry for her.
I'm glad they are all at home to support her.

Stay cosy everyone - thinking, as always of those unable to post right now. flowers.

Doodle Wed 20-Oct-21 12:59:15

Hello gangsters. I’m all at sea today ?
Foggy but with a warm breeze.
We were out on deck last night at about 11.30pm as it was so mild. There was almost a full moon and we could see the sea for quite a way. It was a bit choppy and there was nothing around that we could see. Quite scary in a way so huge and empty. Feel so sorry for those who venture forth in dinghies in search of safety or a better life.
Jan glad you and MrJ have had your booster and flu, that will be top priority for us when we get back from our trip.
Like you, I feel so sorry for Kaimoana and Boadicea for their ongoing lockdown. I remember our long stint when we didn’t go outside the front door for 16 weeks. I certainly think it has had a long term impact on our fitness levels. We find we can’t walk as far as we used to.
Glad you spoke to your Gp and have had some help. Sometimes feeling unmotivated needs some intervention and I’m pleased to hear you are feeling a bit more like yourself now
See Cherry I told you we all want you back. Cwtch x
Grammaretto it’s a shame about your sons holiday plans. So many have had to cancel. DS has had to cancel for 2 years their trip to Portugal with friends. They have managed to carry forward their trip to the third year and hope next year it might go ahead. In the meantime they are going to the south coast later this month.
Your photos look very atmospheric. I can’t enlarge them as the WiFi connection won’t cope. You do live in a lovely area.
Kaimoanna you made me laugh. The thought of DH having a massage made me giggle. He is the last person on earth who would consider such a thing. I agree massage can help and whilst he will let me massage his calf when he gets cramp there is no way someone else (male or female) would get near him. ?
I’m so sorry for your DIL. Hope these nasty side effects wear off soon.
Hope all the posting and non posting gangsters are keeping well and safe. Thinking of you all x

Grammaretto Wed 20-Oct-21 19:29:44

Ahoy me hearties!

Choppy seas, miles from port does sound scary. I hope you two come back safe and sound Doodle

I, of all people, have volunteered to give a presentation/talk on the history of Scottish food. It's not until December but I need to research grin

When you say rock hunting Kaimoana do you mean things like green stone? jasper?

I found gold a small amount once at Leadhills. It is addictive, panning for gold. www.leadminingmuseum.co.uk/gold-panning/

I'm expecting the electrician yet again. I wish he'd come a bit sooner.

Please make an appearance Cherry . It's long overdue.

BoadiceaJones Thu 21-Oct-21 04:59:41

Grammaretto - love the misty and evocative photos! Sad about the Coromandel expedition - such an amazing place to holiday, and so much to do and see.
We are lucky here in the Far North that we are in Level 2, and far freer. Yesterday, after my U3A painting group, DH and I went to town for a lunch date, but everything was full - so many people enjoying the first day of freedom.

Today I had my French conversation group at the local market cafe - I was greeted by my lovely German lady, who has not always found it easy to work from her schoolgirl French of 50+ years ago, by "Je viens ici pour rire!" And so once again, we fell about laughing about the doings of the mysterious and strangely attractive, yet androgynous, Jean-Claude and his friends. Kaimoana emailed me with the following about J-C - "Mais, c'est une femme! C'est normal?" The world is not as black-and-white, clear-cut and obvious as it was in our youth...

Today is Trafalgar Day, and we always raise a glass to the Hearts Of Oak of 1805 - George has the Royal Navy's devotion to Nelson and all things maritime. What makes it more exciting for us is that we have discovered that my 3x gt grandfather served on the Agamemnon with Nelson, and was on the Temeraire at Trafalgar.

It's cold and miserable today, after the gorgeous sunshine we have been experiencing. All the cats are sulking because they can't go out, and of course, WE are responsible for making it rain. The world, and the climate, have gone crazy. I have some gorgeous lillies in my garden, but don't know how to send a photo to you. Take it as read, therefore, that I'm sending you, telepathically, images of cream and red lillies.

I hope everyone is keeping warm, snug and cosy, and that the voyaging is free of storms and pirates.

NfkDumpling Thu 21-Oct-21 07:08:18

Thank you so much BJ for pointing out that today is Trafalgar Day. I hadn't twigged the date. Its a good excuse for a large tot this evening. One way or another I'll need it. We were planning a three day family get together this weekend. Our Christmas gathering! All of us together in a large rented house. But DGD3 (including sister DGD1) celebrated her birthday last weekend with a party at one of those indoor activity places - and her best friend (who then slept over) has tested positive so both girls have been pinged and had PCR tests yesterday. Please keep all your fingers and toes crossed for negative results! They're the distant family and it won't be the same without them.

I do hope your son manages to have his camping holiday Grammaretto. When we had our NZ holiday we spent Christmas on a Top Ten camp site on the Coromandel. Beautiful! Not at all as we expected though. We'd been told we had to book as the site would be full (this is 20 years ago), but on Christmas morning there were only seven outfits on the large site. And the weather was miserable.

But, amazingly, just after lunch the sun broke through, and they started to arrive. Cars pulling often ancient caravans (the ones with quilted covers on the front), tents and all sorts. Including small metal fishing boats with large outboard engines. Many of the caravans parked in a circle or square and put tarpaulins over the lot. When the caravan doors were opened it showed stacks of boxes full of provisions (mostly beer can shaped). It seems everyone went to the family for Christmas lunch and then came camping to enjoy the rest of the holiday with their friends. It was great!

What struck us most was the lack of commercialization. The shops still shut at lunchtime on the Saturday before Christmas Day and there was no fuss or advertising. I remember two little girls coming over to us to show us their home made hobby horses which were their best Christmas present. I somehow expect its all changed now though.

I think I may clear out the loft today - and hope that the PCR results come through quickly. The suspense is killing!

Grammaretto Thu 21-Oct-21 13:12:18

Fingers crossed for a negative result NfkD I hope your family weekend is saved.
Trafalgar Day - well who knew!.
What an amazing pedigree you have BoadiceaJ perhaps there's a clue in your name?

An ancestor who was actually with Nelson and on the Temeraire!

I can trace back to a sea captain who was in the campaign to capture the West Indies from the French in the 1780s
morethannelson.com/officer/edward-herbert/

After retiring he wrote to the Admiralty asking --complaining bitterly--why he wasn't promoted.

I have just watched the Judi Dench episode of Who do you think you are which is delightful.

I chuckled at the cats not wanting to go out in the rain (which is your fault) BJ
Emily used to take a look out the front door, see it was raining so try the back door! grin

BoadiceaJones Thu 21-Oct-21 21:06:07

Oooh, Nfk, all the best with the results - what a worry for you. It's all looking a bit grim for you all this winter- I do hope that you manage to keep warm and safe, and that Christmas is not too affected for the families. So important for mental health that these traditions are maintained, isn't it. My English Granny, resident in NZ since 1920, always hosted Christmas for the family, with a huge Victorian meal with every imaginable trimming. The plum pudding, complete with sixpences, was a bridge too far, really, when the temperature was 80+ deg (in old money) in the shade. Christmas morning, after church, we children would shell the peas fresh from her garden, and we were allowed to dig the new potatoes so we could eat what we had just harvested. Such happy memories. I seem to remember that we were not allowed to pick the peas, because so many would disappear into our tummies straight from the vines.
I'm afraid even far distant NZ is now subject to greedy market forces. That simple Christmas of memory, with the ancient caravans, tin boats, sagging tents has given way to smart multi-roomed tents and upmarket campervans, or else to Air BnB holidays, where pleasure in simplicity has given way to the expectation of wall-to-wall luxury.
Doodle - I hope all is well onboard. Yes, the sea is so vast and terrifying, isn't it, even in a modern liner with every safety accessory. I sailed to the UK on a Greek liner back in the 70s, and that stretch from Tahiti to Panama, 2 weeks of nothing but sea, other than a few tiny atolls with coconut palms, just breaking the surface is awesome in its real sense. I am in absolute admiration of the navigational skills of the early Polynesian settlers, who sailed across these vast spaces, armed only with ancient knowledge of the stars and currents, and found tiny dots of land in the huge blue desert. Truly one of mankind's great achievements-even the Vikings rarely went more than a few days from land.
Grammaretto - your story about your ancestor is so interesting. I love the complaining to the Admiralty about not being promoted! The fact that a man could actually do that says a lot about the democracy and meritocracy of the Royal Navy. Did he go into the Coastguard on half pay on retirement? That seems to have been quite the way to a comfortable retirement, catching smugglers and getting to keep some of the proceeds. Gt gt gt gf was posted to Sea Palling, within spitting distance of where we lived in Norfolk!
I also loved the story of Emily, and her faith that the rain might not fall everywhere at the same time! Mine have been out this morning-Dottie is very fluffy, beautiful, but not the brightest. She only realises that it's raining once the wet soaks through her fur, and then is quite hurt that no-one told her!
Kaimoana - I do hope that your DIL is feeling better. What a worry for you and your DS. And having children at home, rather than your DGS being in school - so very hard on the young.
Suddenly it's Friday again, a Bank Holiday, with hopefully, no out of area visitors. Tough on the small businesses who rely on the period from now until Easter for the bulk of their trade. We have to go out in the rain to pick up meds and for DH to see the Doc.
Keep well, everyone!

Kaimoana Fri 22-Oct-21 01:12:38

I hope the results were good Nfk and that the negative result was a postive result, so to speak. grin.

Yes, Grammaretto I used to collect geological specimens and have many crystals, stones and fossils from my days as a rock-hound.
On the Coromandel, when they dug the roads, they left spoil tips at either side which yielded some fine specimens, still on my deck.

BJ Could it be that you sailed with the Chandris Line on the 'Australis' perhaps?
If you did, that's one more thread of connection between us, as I did too - and taught waiata, poi and haka to passengers en route smile.

It was in Cristobal, my husband was offered money for me and hesitated before shaking his head (reluctantly?) - the wretch.

Easy to attach photos. As you write, look below to 'Images' and the the button which says Choose File. Press and it'll swoop to your inards (of the device) and you pick your pic - e voila! c'est facile.

I'm not feeling the best today: rotten earache and pain in my jaw but I'm hoping a drugged night's sleep will put me right for playing host to dgs tomorrow.

Hope everyone is well and happy and preferably both grin

BoadiceaJones Fri 22-Oct-21 03:56:15

Kaimoana - I'm so sorry that you are feeling poorly. Do you have an ear infection? Is the jaw pain linked to the ear? Is there any way you can get to a drop-in clinic before the long weekend? A drugged good night's sleep sounds like a plan, specially with DGS coming tomorrow. Just take it easy and do let someone know if it gets worse.
Thank you for the uploading instructions. Problem is, I don't have a smartphone, as a matter of principle. I do have an iPad though...I'll see what I can do with that. It's very ancient, and has limited abilities, sadly.
Yes indeedy, I did go Chandris lines, Ellinis out, Australis home. And I too taught waiata and poi to the passengers, for our onboard concert! Panama City was like deliverance country, with police armed with machine guns, but we remained on board at Cristobal, because it was after dark. I was travelling alone, so had no-one to be offered money for me. As you say, the wretch! At least, being married would spare you the attentions of the Greek officers - the pawing and heavy breathing, soulful eyes and "we will have only coffee and conversation..no sex, no sex!" Yeah right. That was the 70s, when men felt that they could act with impunity towards young girls. If anyone had tried that with my daughter, she would have screamed at him and kicked him where it hurts. It's great that young women are brought up to be so much more assertive today.
It's far too nasty to be outside in the garden, so I have set myself to the task of transcribing my grandmother's diaries, starting with her early years, and as a VAD nurse in Malta during WWI. So very interesting. Back to the task.
Cheers, all. Kia kaha.

CherryCezzy Fri 22-Oct-21 13:30:39

Hello gang???

Four months, it's been four months since I've posted and I have missed you all.

It's been a bit of a rollercoaster ride for me and my WP these last few months. I can't reveal what's been happening (yet) but things have settled down and I'm in a much better place ?. It's helped that my footie team, (you'll be please to hear Doodle ?) are doing really well, especially in European competition.

I'm enjoying my new kitchen but it has viciously attacked me once ?. I've no recollection of what it did but the consequences were quite brutal. It snapped the arm off my relatively new and expensive glasses (fortunately insurance covered them) and cracked my cheekbone. How very dare it! Thank goodness for face masks that's all I can say ?. It has healed now but I do seem to have been left with one small area of bruising that doesn't want to leave.

I haven't been called for my booster yet but the six month mark only expires tomorrow. I am having my flu jab tomorrow though, I rang to book it three weeks ago. Annoyingly my WP rang to book his last Thursday and had his the following day ?

I'm sorry to hear that Mamissimo and family are having such a difficult time. So hard for you all Mamissimo flowers. I hope that earache clears up Kaimoana and doesn't put a damper on your time with your dgs. As BoadiceaJ says your jaw pain could be related? If, like she suggests, you can get to a drop in clinic ... though I do know that might be very difficult for you.

I hope the rest of the gang are okay and you are both enjoying your cruise Doodle ?.

Thinking of you very much Panache and sending you a gentle cwtch on the westward wind x

Doodle Fri 22-Oct-21 19:59:14

Yippee. Lots of hurrahs and whoops of joy fro the seas,
Our lovely Tigger is back. So lovely to have you with us again Cherry ?
Good news about ‘our team’ well done them ?
Good Lord your kitchen sounds a bit dangerous. Hope it doesn’t attack you In such a manner again.
We are enjoying our cruise thank you. Much more so for seeing you back with us. We have missed you sooo much. Cwtchs and hugs xx
Grammaretto it seems your pleas have been answered and Cherry is back.?
I have a piece of jasper given to me by a stone polisher in Iceland. It is beautiful. He told me he keeps a bit of polished stone in his pocket at all times and if he gets stressed or worried just takes it out and sits and rubs it in his fingers and it helps him. I will try and catch up that Judi Dench programme when we get back. I like her.
Boadicea you made me laugh about your sulking cats and it being your fault. Our little dogs used to be the same.
Happy Trafalgar day.
You are very brave doing so many weeks at sea. It is so vast it makes me feel very small indeed yet at the same time as be8ng powerful so beautiful.
Nfk I have everything crossed for your family get together.
I do so hope all the tests are of and your family weekend can go ahead. So precious in this lockdown age.
Good luck with the loft clearing, Not an easy task.
Kaimoana I’m so glad your husband didn’t sell you off to the highest bidder ?
I’m hoping you are feeling a bit better now. I know how much you are looking forward to your DGS spending time with you and I’m sure he is looking forward to it too.
Hope all the gangsters are safe and well. I will be back with you soon. Take care all. X

Doodle Fri 22-Oct-21 20:00:42

Tests are ok ? not of ?

CherryCezzy Fri 22-Oct-21 20:53:20

Doodle you've made me blush. Thank you for your lovely welcome back x
Grammaretto, I've just scanned back up the thread and seen what Doodle means. I'm really blush now x

Nfl I hope the pcr tests come back negative and you have a positively fabulous weekend ?

Kaimoana Fri 22-Oct-21 22:22:54

Cherry! smile Cherry! wine Cherry! flowers ~~ Cheery Cherry ~~ sunshine welcome back grin Yipee! sunshinesunshinesunshine

By jingoes, that kitchen sounds out of control, I hope you gave it a good whack with a rolling pin! smile

Yes, it's impossible for me to get anywhere without an escort, and of course I haven't had that privilege for many months now so short of ringing the emergency services (and I really would need to be on my last legs to do that), I just do my own doctoring.

99.9% of the time it works, as it has this time.
A little brandy in milk and a couple of herbal soporifics and 8 hours sleep did the trick.
Can't kill a bad weed as they say.

You're right, poor Mamissimo and indeed many of our lovely gang have had, and are still having rough times.

I hope they know, even though they are not up to posting, that behind the scenes, they are very much on our minds and hearts....as were you, always. xxxxx

BJ I don't have a cellphone, my wee instructional was based on what I can see on my PC. There should be some indication, whatever device you use, of how to upload a photie.

Jeeves me Old Fruit, break out the champagne, Cherry's back with us and Doodle is on her way - we need a welcome party.
wine cupcake roastchicken

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion