Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Your idea of stable??

(313 Posts)
Daisymae Fri 15-Oct-21 17:52:08

Javid said this week that the infection rates are stable, bit up, bit down. In fact it seems that management means just ignore it and it will go away. Why are the public so accepting? It's pretty much a scandal, hundreds of people dying each week and yet it's pretty much ignored. This article highlights some pretty horrendous facts
www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/15/why-britons-are-tolerating-sky-high-covid-rates-and-why-this-may-not-last

Callistemon Fri 22-Oct-21 23:19:22

I hoped it might be on the wane by now maddyone.
I am thoroughly fed up with it, too.

maddyone Fri 22-Oct-21 23:26:23

I know Callistemon, we had just enough normal life to give us a taste and now it’s back again with a vengeance. I really have had enough. My daughter charmingly told us tonight that pandemics can last 5-10 years! Let’s hope she’s not right, she only said can not will.

maddyone Sat 23-Oct-21 11:23:10

Just been for my flu jab and was very pleased to get it. Just waiting for my booster now, I hope it won’t be long. I’m not feeling very safe at the moment and will feel better when I’ve had my booster.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 23-Oct-21 11:35:05

MayBee70

Johnson says today that the current infection rate is not outside of the ‘figures that were predicted’.Can someone tell me when we were told that 50,000 people a day was predicted other than in a worst case scenario way? Surely he can’t be lying. Again.

Chris Whitty produced a model prediction that post freedom day Covid daily numbers were likely to be 100,000 +

No where near that yet…

maddyone Sat 23-Oct-21 11:42:10

GrannyGravy but unfortunately numbers are rising relentlessly. Although the biggest number are school children, unfortunately they then pass it on to mum and dad, and grandparents. The higher the number of infections, the more it will spread in the wider community.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 23-Oct-21 11:46:23

1 in 7 children who have had covid, are suffering from long covid.

That is grim.

Teacheranne Sat 23-Oct-21 12:01:56

It’s difficult to give the vaccination to secondary aged children at the moment as so many of them have had Covid recently so cannot have the jab - not sure for how long afterwards, maybe 90 days?

My nephew, age 15, is in year 11, and his school delivered mass vaccinations last week, just before half term. There is a follow up visit by NHS vaccinators in two weeks time. But my nephew had Covid two weeks ago and at least half his year group have been absent this half term with Covid so none of them could have the jab and many cannot attend the booster session either.

Now it’s down to my sister to arrange the vaccination for him once he is able to have it but she has not found a way to book one yet! The NHS app rejects her attempts, possibly because it is only intended for carers, key workers or vulnerable people ( which is what it says on the first page) or because of his age/ date of birth. Her GP practice is not involved with the vaccinations this time so can’t help her although I would have thought they would know how he can register. School are also unhelpful, other than to say they will not be offering any more vaccination sessions!

Very frustrating!

Daisymae Sat 23-Oct-21 12:15:21

Government policy has brought us to the situation where 50000 infections a day is ok, 800 people in ICU and we are still in October. You really don't have to be a genius to see where this is heading. Half term next week in England may give some respite, but maybe more older people getting infections because of child care? Fingers crossed and whistling in the dark is our plan. confused

growstuff Sat 23-Oct-21 15:45:29

GrannyGravy13

MayBee70

Johnson says today that the current infection rate is not outside of the ‘figures that were predicted’.Can someone tell me when we were told that 50,000 people a day was predicted other than in a worst case scenario way? Surely he can’t be lying. Again.

Chris Whitty produced a model prediction that post freedom day Covid daily numbers were likely to be 100,000 +

No where near that yet…

But getting there ...

MayBee70 Sat 23-Oct-21 15:49:22

I’m scared to ask DD how DGS is given that, when he returned to school he appeared to have symptoms of long covid. Hoping that no news is good news but DD does protect me from stuff like this. Angry beyond belief that he didn’t get to have his vaccination and that the protective measures we wanted to be put in place were not implemented as we saw infection rates rise. And still aren’t….

Jaxjacky Sat 23-Oct-21 16:17:10

I think this is proactive by one of our local surgeries, sad to see though.

FarNorth Sat 23-Oct-21 17:55:49

I wouldn't be getting together with others in a hall, especially without masks.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 24-Oct-21 13:02:57

I agree with you Caslon, I feel so much safer in Wales and people are following the rules

MayBee70 Sun 24-Oct-21 13:40:11

Maggie Throupe said on LBC that plan a is working so plan b doesn’t have to be implemented. Is that the plan to achieve herd immunity via schoolchildren Maggie? My younger grandson had covid symptoms last night albeit being clear on a lateral flow test. If he catches covid as well as his brother my anger will be stratospheric.

maddyone Sun 24-Oct-21 14:27:10

Just to throw confusion into the mix, there appears to be a number of viruses about that are similar to Covid in their symptoms. My niece told me during our telephone conversation today that her daughter and husband had Covid/flu/cold symptoms last week. They did several lateral flow tests, all negative, and then PCR tests, also negative. Now she’s coming down with similar symptoms too.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 24-Oct-21 14:32:20

maddyone

Just to throw confusion into the mix, there appears to be a number of viruses about that are similar to Covid in their symptoms. My niece told me during our telephone conversation today that her daughter and husband had Covid/flu/cold symptoms last week. They did several lateral flow tests, all negative, and then PCR tests, also negative. Now she’s coming down with similar symptoms too.

We have the same in this area, I have had a nasty chest infection/asthma flare up (antibiotics and steroids) DD, DIL’s, DS’s and GC have all had cold/flu/throat/tummy bugs, all tested negative. I guess it’s due to not being unexposed to bugs for the last eighteen + months and all our resistances being lower than in normal times.

Nana56 Sun 24-Oct-21 17:07:01

I fail to understand why we can't carry on wearing masks. It's not a big deal. Also I think we have to realise that covid is not going away. We have to be sensible and live with it, rather like the flu.
I fail to understand why some are not vaccinated. We could end up in lockdown because a few are refusing.
Additionally why is it made loud and clear that a majority who are in hospital are not vaccinated . I believe in Australia you are not automatically treated if you are I vaccinated.
I would insist on giving vaccine before treating.
Sorry, had to have a rant

Alegrias1 Sun 24-Oct-21 17:44:19

Additionally why is it made loud and clear that a majority who are in hospital are not vaccinated.

The majority in hospital are vaccinated. smile

I would be very surprised if they are denying treatment to the unvaccinated in Australia - maybe one of the Australian Grans knows.

MayBee70 Sun 24-Oct-21 17:51:43

But isn’t that because most people are now vaccinated so statistically more vaccinated people will be catching it. It makes it sound as though vaccinations don’t work at all which is misleading to put it mildly.

Alegrias1 Sun 24-Oct-21 19:05:29

Its only misleading to those who don't understand the maths of it, which you obviously do MayBee70.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 25-Oct-21 16:50:50

Today’s numbers are nearly 13,000 less than last Monday’s, let’s hope we are turning the corner…

Alegrias1 Mon 25-Oct-21 17:12:11

Thanks for the information GG13.

A Labour MSP on the news last night told us that people who got their booster a bit later than they (the Labour Party) thought they should have it would be more likely to get Covid than not. And the Labour Party twitter says that cases are spiralling.

And they wonder why people don't vote for them. (Maybe I should put this on one of the Politics threads!)

GrannyGravy13 Mon 25-Oct-21 17:14:57

Here are the figures for England

GrannyGravy13 Mon 25-Oct-21 17:16:21

Here are Scotland and N.Ireland’s figures

GrannyGravy13 Mon 25-Oct-21 17:17:21

Apparently Wales has a hick-up with their number crunching and they have not been released yet.