Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Elusive Third Primary Vaccine - not the Booster

(204 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 05-Nov-21 10:05:52

Hello
I know that there is a thread already about the Booster; but I felt that another thread devoted to the ever elusive third primary vaccine may be helpful.

The third primary dose is apparently valuable for those who are severely immune suppressed.

It is in addition to the booster.

My main question is - has anyone actually had it?

I’ve spoken to a variety of HCPs recently, and none of them have even heard of it sad

Thank you ?

RVK1CR Sun 07-Nov-21 17:04:17

Had 2 jabs, over 6 months ago. Tried to book the booster on NHS app but the places offered were too far away. Called 119, waited half an hour and was told it could not be booked at the local health centre where I had my first 2. Going to GP to book a flu jab with nurse so will ask then, IF I get an appointment. Really annoyed with it all, they say get a booster but don't say how. How have others got their booster?

FannyCornforth Sun 07-Nov-21 17:07:03

poshpaws

oops, sorry - I mistook the primary/booster issue.

Don’t worry! We’re all over the shop! smile

Marydoll Sun 07-Nov-21 17:10:50

poshpaws, my DH and my neighbours (in Scotland) were in and out in less than half an hour yesterday. All very slick. There doesn't seem to be a problem here with boosters, it is accessing Third Primaries, which is the problem.

recklessgran Sun 07-Nov-21 17:13:11

FannyCornforth and Marydoll I'm in Northamptonshire but it sounds as though it's a pretty widespread problem. I'm not a prolific poster but I do read and hope you both stay as well as you can.

Marydoll Sun 07-Nov-21 17:16:58

You too, Recklessgran. Thank goodness we are pretty savvy and persistent ?!

Anne23 Sun 07-Nov-21 17:21:01

Hello I have had my 3rd dose today along with my flu jab I want coming up on computer to start with but now this week I've been booked in correctly, everything went well

FannyCornforth Sun 07-Nov-21 17:26:42

Ah, thank you recklessgran

recklessgran Sun 07-Nov-21 17:27:14

Ha! Ha! That made me smile Mary - stroppy is probably the word I'd use for myself although I'm always polite - just firm. Comes from being outnumbered with 5DD's and poor old long suffering DH who once famously said "God help me! I live in a house with 6 women who are either pre-menstrual, menstrual, post menstrual or menopausal and even though we have 3 of them I can NEVER get in a blinking bathroom!"

Marydoll Sun 07-Nov-21 17:38:46

Now that did make me smile. I am exceedingly grumpy today, needed a laugh!

4allweknow Sun 07-Nov-21 18:25:45

Never heard about the 3rd dose and DH is immuno suppressed and told to shield. No one, oncologists, pharmacists, haematologist have mentioned this. He has had booster (was missed off system) and flu vaccine. GP would not be in the least interested if I contacted for advice.

AcornFairy Sun 07-Nov-21 18:27:31

RVK1CR This thread is about 3rd PRIMARY vaccines ....

AcornFairy Sun 07-Nov-21 18:29:34

Anne23 This thread is about 3rd PRIMARY VACCINES ....

Jaxjacky Sun 07-Nov-21 18:36:37

No need to shout AcornFairy that’s a bit rude.

AcornFairy Sun 07-Nov-21 19:11:21

Jaxjacky

No need to shout AcornFairy that’s a bit rude.

I do apologise Jaxjacky and RVK1CR and *Anne23 if I upset you. I certainly did not intend to be rude. What I did intend was that this important thread about 3rd Primary covid vaccines was understood to be NOT about BOOSTER vaccines.

The whole 3rd Primary vaccine issue has become so confused that I'm afraid my patience had become somewhat worn thin. I'm really sorry if I offended anyone.

LondonMzFitz Sun 07-Nov-21 19:37:54

Soniah

My husband had the third vaccine, wasn't expecting it, went for the booster when he was called but was given a phizer shot (had AZ last time) and will have a booster later because he is on methotrexate which compromises his immune system, had no problem with it. He was called by the NHS in Wales.

Ditto. Message by text from my GP to go for booster, booked online and turned up at the very busy centre in North West London on a Saturday morning a few weeks ago. I took a list of my meds, the person I saw was a pharmacist, looking online at my notes said I need a third vaccine with a booster in 6 months.

Marydoll Sun 07-Nov-21 19:38:34

It is an emotional subject, AcornFairy , I can empathise with you, I was getting ratty too! Unless you have wasted days/weeks trying to navigate the system, you cannot expect those who are not immunocompromised to understand, nor appreciate how stressful it has been.

Many may not have read the thread title properly and felt the need to post about their own experience of obtaining a booster. It is not intentionally done to derail the original reason for the thread.
What we want to hear is from people who have actually managed to successfully get their third primary doses, as opposed to a booster and how they achieved it.

Posting links to booking sites is not really helpful, as those sites don't allow us to book third primary doses, as far as I am aware.

However, it has muddied the waters somewhat and as I said before, the important stuff is being missed. I wish posters would take the time to read what has been posted before them about this extremely important subject.

I am unsure of exact figures, but I believe there are at least 500,000 people in England alone, who are coded as immunocompromised. Add the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish figures and that constitutes a very large part of the population.

It's not just a few people whinging and making a fuss about nothing.

Marydoll Sun 07-Nov-21 19:41:07

I also meant to say that I am shocked by the posters, who had no idea they were immunosuppressed due to meds and/or medical conditions.

Mistyfluff8 Sun 07-Nov-21 23:45:06

Both my husband and I live in a small village on the Somerset/Dorset border .I looked it up on on website Can ring 119 Lots of places that we’re doing 1 and 2 jabs all disappeared Drs surgery not doing them Eventually found a church in a nearby town that was doing them and booked otherwise travelling to a town in Dorset luckily we drive but the government have not made it easy

Marydoll Mon 08-Nov-21 06:41:47

Mistyfluff8

Both my husband and I live in a small village on the Somerset/Dorset border .I looked it up on on website Can ring 119 Lots of places that we’re doing 1 and 2 jabs all disappeared Drs surgery not doing them Eventually found a church in a nearby town that was doing them and booked otherwise travelling to a town in Dorset luckily we drive but the government have not made it easy

May I ask if this is the the third PRIMARY vaccine you are talking about? If so, that is very good news for those who are finding difficulty accessing it, that you managed to book it online.

ClaraB Mon 08-Nov-21 14:41:43

I finally managed to get my third primary vaccine this morning - hooray!! Further to my post of yesterday which I won't repeat the detail, I logged onto the NHS website this morning to book a booster as had been trying for four weeks to book 3rd jab with no luck and knew booster would be the next best thing. I had heard that from today you could book online if you had been vaccinated 5 months ago, would still need to wait 6 months from last jab but wanted to get the date in the diary. The website said I couldn't book via them and to call 119. I called them and they couldn't help. I then tried to book a booster for my husband who is not clinically vulnerable and was able to book an appointment!!! I cannot tell you how angry I was at this which just didn't make sense. I gathered up my two NHS letters and went to my local vaccination centre. The man in charge was so kind and understanding, he read my letters, told them at the desk that I was a walk-in and that I would be having a third primary dose (Pfizer). The lady waiting behind me told me that her husband was also CV and she had fought to get his third dose. She then said I could have her slot, which I of course declined. I cannot believe what a muddle the system is in, I have been passed from pillar to post and am now going to put a complaint into my GP surgery who I feel have been very unhelpful. Thank you for all the advice given on this thread which spurred me on.

Marydoll Mon 08-Nov-21 14:46:41

Brilliant news!!!

ClaraB Mon 08-Nov-21 14:50:15

Thank you Marydoll, I can't tell you how pleased and relieved I am. It only took one sensible person to understand my need and I can't praise the vaccination centre enough.

Marydoll Mon 08-Nov-21 15:23:38

I am delighted for you, as I can empathise with you.
Both my healthy friends and my husband got the booster without any problem The same thing happened with my first two vaccinations, it's not really what you need when you are unwell.
Many thanks to Fanny for starting the thread! I?

Mistyfluff8 Mon 08-Nov-21 16:25:41

Had 3rd booster on 4/11 but finding where to have it was difficult as our Gp not doing them like the first 2.Had to drive some distance

Marydoll Mon 08-Nov-21 16:42:45

Thanks Misty for clearing that up.
This thread is about providing info on accessing a third Primary not a booster. It would have been great if you had managed the third primary through the vaccination site. Perhaps a separate number for the immunocompromised is the answer or doing what many of us have done, which is just turning up and begging for it.