Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The "I can't believe it isn't Covid " cough

(43 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Tue 16-Nov-21 21:17:11

Have anybody you got or had the "I can't believe it isn't Covid" cough? I have had a bad cold, but although that has gone, I have been left with a really harsh chesty , phlegmy cough. I have done daily Lateral Flow tests, all negative, and I don't have any other symptoms, but it is exhausting. So many of our workforce are off with Covid or on leave, I daren't take time off work, but whenever I have a coughing fit at work I am looked at with dread and horror and have to keep explaining that I am safe and I always wear a mask anyway.
Has anyone else had this cough and did you find anything to help? Thank you!!

Amberone Tue 16-Nov-21 21:28:53

OH and I both have it. Think we've had a similar flu to last time we had it, over two years ago. OH had it quite badly, then I had it as he was getting better, then he got worse again. We've both got bad coughs, both tested okay so not Covid, and we're both absolutely knackered ? Can't sleep for the constant coughing.

Urmstongran Tue 16-Nov-21 21:31:11

I think I’m starting with it today. I don’t usually get coughs. Already this one concerns me. Quite awful hacking cough.

Hetty58 Tue 16-Nov-21 21:49:31

My five year old granddaughter had a constant cough for over a month. She was exhausted as her sleep was disturbed every night. Nothing really helped, except home made honey and lemon (a little).

Doodle Tue 16-Nov-21 21:50:03

Yes DS2 has the same. Hope you all feel better soon.

asd123 Tue 16-Nov-21 21:56:45

Back in the day you had to cough to cover up a fart now you have to fart to cover a cough lol

Mancjules Tue 16-Nov-21 22:27:40

It's going round our family...cold then horrible cough. My sis has had it for 6 weeks confused

dragonfly46 Tue 16-Nov-21 22:28:38

Yes both DH and I have had it. Both had PCRs and both negative. We were very poorly though for 3 weeks.

ElaineI Tue 16-Nov-21 22:34:58

My friend and her DH have had it for a few weeks - now recovered. DH has had it also for a month or so now recovered. All had neg PCRs and lateral flows. It's a bad one1

annodomini Tue 16-Nov-21 22:36:04

I have a cold which seems to be following its usual course - i.e. I've developed a wracking cough. I'm just five days into it, so can't tell how it will progress.

GillT57 Tue 16-Nov-21 22:45:33

Urmstongran

I think I’m starting with it today. I don’t usually get coughs. Already this one concerns me. Quite awful hacking cough.

I had it a couple of months ago. Just came from nowhere, no preceding cold, just started coughing one day. Exhausting and spent a lot of.time apologising and explaining that it was not a covid19 cough. Copious swings of Covonia was the only relief.

Chestnut Tue 16-Nov-21 23:55:45

Please don't rely on those tests. My friend was unwell for two weeks, kept testing negative, but eventually had a proper test at hospital which was positive. By this time she was beginning to feel better, but presumably it had been covid all along.

MarinaL Wed 17-Nov-21 00:07:09

We've both had this heavy cold and cough and found the best thing for the cough was Potters Catarrh pastilles. They don't taste very nice but they are very effective.

Hetty58 Wed 17-Nov-21 00:13:34

I think many people use lateral flow tests (incorrectly) when they really should use PCR tests if they have any symptoms. It's quite a worry with other viruses about.

MayBeMaw Wed 17-Nov-21 00:37:02

Hetty58

I think many people use lateral flow tests (incorrectly) when they really should use PCR tests if they have any symptoms. It's quite a worry with other viruses about.

There is no reason not to use the new LFTs as they are designed for people with or without symptoms. They only involve a nasal swab and are very easy to use correctly.

Hetty58 Wed 17-Nov-21 01:04:25

MayBeMaw, they may be easy - but PCRs are far more accurate and can detect tiny amounts of virus.

Redhead56 Wed 17-Nov-21 01:12:01

I have had a disgusting cough runny nose for nearly two weeks tested clear. I actually had my booster even though I had pointed out my symptoms since then now have an additional banging headache. All of my family have had these symptoms for going on nearly three weeks now.

Hetty58 Wed 17-Nov-21 01:32:48

I do wonder how these viruses are circulating so freely, unlike last year.

I suppose it's because people are mixing indoors and not wearing masks, plus our immune systems haven't been challenged recently.

BlueBalou Wed 17-Nov-21 05:19:44

I’ve had the cough for 10 days now, negative PCR and I’m wondering just how much longer it will go on. Nothing seems to sooth it, no runny nose just a headache from time to time.
It shows no signs of abating at all ☹️

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 17-Nov-21 07:12:10

We’ve both had it for nearly 5 weeks now, maybe we should have had a PCR test. The colds have gone but the cough remains.
Lateral flow tests were negative.

Urmstongran Wed 17-Nov-21 07:17:41

I bought ‘Covonia’ yesterday Gill57 that was witchy! ?‍♀️

fairfraise Wed 17-Nov-21 07:21:02

I had that cough for at least 3 weeks. It was awful. Kept me awake all night and felt and the slightest bit of seedy bread etc would set it off. I hadn't had a cold or cough since before first lockdown.

DillytheGardener Wed 17-Nov-21 07:25:46

Yes another that had that cold here. It lasted four weeks and I have now have a nasty funky cough. I tested negative on the lateral flow tests, but perhaps I should have had a pcr test? I wouldn’t even know how to book one though ….

rosie1959 Wed 17-Nov-21 07:35:43

The NHS website clearly states to book a PCR test if you have any symptoms including a cough
Several members of my family have had PCR tests just for a cough better safe than sorry
A little amazed that people haven’t done this

LadyGracie Wed 17-Nov-21 07:41:12

4 year old GD has chesty hacking cough, tested positive with LFT.
SIL tested negative with LFT, positive with PCR both of them feeling pretty rough.