Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Ineffictiveness of Covid vaccines for the immunocompromised.

(112 Posts)
Marydoll Sun 21-Nov-21 19:40:12

There have been a few discussions recently, where some posters insisted that there was no such thing as a Third Primary Vaccine for those who are immunosuppressed, it was just the same as a booster. It isn't.

I have just read an article in the Sunday papers, which reported that a number of immunosuppressed patients in England and Wales are seriously ill in hospital with Covid, because their GP had no knowledge of the requirement to get a third primary dose, nor the urgency of needing one, rather than a booster.
Some patients were found to have had little resistance to Covid, despite having had two vaccinations. In other words, for them the vaccine was ineffective.
As someone, who is immunocompromised, I was horrified to read this.

Calistemon Tue 07-Dec-21 10:47:19

I've been invited for a vaccine at a large centre a distance from here but cannot find out if it's a 3rd vaccine or a booster.

I also have an appointment for a booster at the GP surgery!

Yet still no-one who is administering these can tell me the difference. I'm going for the booster but can't cancel the other appointment, have phoned 3 times, hung on for 15 minutes each time and left messages but still the letters/texts/emails keep coming!

Missedout Tue 07-Dec-21 11:09:19

I should have posted the link to the source of my information:-
BloodCancer UK

Marydoll Tue 07-Dec-21 13:30:58

Calistemon, my letter invited me for a 'flu vaccination and a booster if I was eligible. When I got to the appointment, I mentioned I was immunocompromised and that I was due a third primary. After checking my records, they agreed and offered me AZ, which I refused. After explaining my reasons, I had the Pfizer.

Calistemon Tue 07-Dec-21 13:38:53

I don't really want to have either, Marydoll but I know it's sensible.

However, I'd prefer to have the Pfizer one, if it's Moderna I may refuse it having heard about a number of adverse reactions o it.
I'm booked with the GP, she may know more.

Marydoll Tue 07-Dec-21 13:42:02

Goodluck!Its such a worry!

Helen657 Sat 11-Dec-21 11:52:13

Iam64

Helen657 - hope you recover well, please let us know

Hi Iam64 & Marydoll
I’m surviving! Still got hacking cough and most cold symptoms plus very, very tired. Funnily enough I’ve just read the thread about the “non covid hacking cough” and it sounds very similar (apart from my positive pcr!). Makes me wonder if I was unfortunate enough to get both covid AND a bad cold - who knows!!!
DH also managed to pass covid to his 86 & 87 year old parents who fortunately were both asymptomatic (only had PCRs due to hospital procedures so wouldn’t have known they’d had it otherwise).
Hope everyone is keeping well x

Calistemon Sat 11-Dec-21 13:24:39

DH also managed to pass covid to his 86 & 87 year old parents who fortunately were both asymptomatic (only had PCRs due to hospital procedures so wouldn’t have known they’d had it otherwise).

It's strange, isn't it Helen657.
I do hope you feel better soon.

I tried to speak to someone about the third vaccine/booster query as I couldn't attend the appointment at a large centre miles away anyway, but could only leave a message (three times) and no-one got back to me.
So I decided to go for the booster at the surgery today ? that will suffice.

nanna8 Tue 14-Dec-21 05:38:20

I just wandered into the local chemist and got a booster shot. No waiting, no appointment. Funny because at the GP clinic I would have had to wait until January. They also asked which type of vaccine I wanted. Better service than the docs, I have to say.

Iam64 Tue 14-Dec-21 08:15:37

Good to hear things are ok Helen657

I’m having a word with myself about keeping positive. I’m finding the continued concern about variants trying. We took two of our grandchildren to the theatre this week. The production was fantastic, we were all enthralled, the audience of families clearly enjoyed it as much as we did. Most people complied with mask wearing but not all. I questioned what level of risk I was taking but it was such a joyous thing to do.

It’s that balance between life affirming experiences and hiding away

JillyJosie2 Wed 15-Dec-21 13:58:50

In case anyone hasn't seen this, it's a useful article about the muddle and misunderstanding around 3rd primary and booster jabs.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/15/booster-jabs-vulnerable-people-covid-vaccine

Marydoll Wed 15-Dec-21 14:10:54

Thank you for posting this, JillyJosie