Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

UK are first in Europe with Over 150,000 deaths

(174 Posts)
silverlining48 Sat 08-Jan-22 18:18:01

News Just announced that we are the first in the whole of Europe and the 5 th highest country in the world to reach 150,000 deaths. It’s not a win anyone would want and I am tired of self satisfied politicians constantly blowing the trumpet of look at how well we have done.
Feeling very sad. sad

Whitewavemark2 Sat 08-Jan-22 18:20:30

Only countries with a much larger population than the U.K. like India, Russia, Brazil the USA and Peru have also passed that number.

How on earth can anyone argue that this government has done well?

maddyone Sat 08-Jan-22 18:25:51

It’s very sad. However, unvaccinated people do choose to take the risk.

rosie1959 Sat 08-Jan-22 18:35:10

Looking at statista rates per 100,000 gives a fairer comparison

maddyone Sat 08-Jan-22 18:36:44

I’m sure it does rosie. Raw numbers don’t give the full picture. It’s still sad though.

Esspee Sat 08-Jan-22 20:21:57

Yes, and to try to ???gain/regain ??? popularity the govt. has decided people travelling into the UK no longer need to prove they are covid free!
So you will leave the UK having been tested and shown to be covid free so won't be taking covid to other countries. You have the assurance that everyone on the plane has tested negative.
On your way home everyone on the plane could be positive and will be able to bring back to the U.K.whatever (new?) variant they have picked up.
What are they thinking!

Kali2 Sat 08-Jan-22 20:27:47

Madness indeed. The cost of testing is ridiculous, and some people are making a LOT of money- and that should be addressed. Antigen test is about £75, and PCR about £130- and that is so wrong.

But stopping testing for incomers from abroad, citizens, resident or not, and foreigners from all over- is just criminal.

Alegrias1 Sat 08-Jan-22 20:37:10

Well we're going back to what we had before Omicron came on the scene. Were you complaining about it then?

You still have to test on day 2 if you are vaccinated. But if you are unvaccinated of course, you still have to do the pre-departure test and isolate on arrival, then follow up with 2 PCR tests.

Can we stop over-reacting now? It's not a free-for-all.

Calistemon Sat 08-Jan-22 20:39:29

Government pcr tests don't cost the person being tested, do they?

Our neighbours said the cost of private testing before they went to France last year was prohibitive so they cancelled their holiday and holidayed in the UK instead.

rosie1959 Sat 08-Jan-22 20:45:21

Calistemon

Government pcr tests don't cost the person being tested, do they?

Our neighbours said the cost of private testing before they went to France last year was prohibitive so they cancelled their holiday and holidayed in the UK instead.

You can't use government testing for your holidays so you have to cough up

Calistemon Sat 08-Jan-22 21:00:53

Isn't that what I said? Private testing costs a lot?

confused

rosie1959 Sat 08-Jan-22 22:20:48

Calistemon

Isn't that what I said? Private testing costs a lot?

confused

Must have misinterpreted your post
I meant that when you fly back into the UK from abroad you have to pay for PCR tests on day 2 or lateral flow from Monday
I apologise for any confusion

Calistemon Sat 08-Jan-22 22:40:41

It's ok. I wasn't up-to-date with my information.

It was last year when our neighbours decided not to go overseas because of the prohibitive cost of private pcr testing before they went.

I was commenting on Kali's post and yes, there are a lot of people making money out of the situation.
It's nothing new, of course. I remember my DM getting annoyed because our neighbour made a fortune in WW2 whilst others were away risking their lives..

mokryna Sat 08-Jan-22 22:42:05

It will change again by the time Calistemon decides to return to the UK.

Josieann Sat 08-Jan-22 22:50:56

Where's Calistemon now? On another thread I've just read she is in rural Wales? All this travel is getting confusing.

The 150k deaths is very sad and sobering.
I disliked the way the BBC reported on it tonight. It was almost as though it had been gearing up to deliver this announcement.

Calistemon Sat 08-Jan-22 22:56:56

I'm in Wales but I did venture over to England today!

I didn't have to take a pcr test before crossing the border (nor show my passport). ??????????????

Josieann Sat 08-Jan-22 23:00:27

Calistemon

I'm in Wales but I did venture over to England today!

I didn't have to take a pcr test before crossing the border (nor show my passport). ??????????????

Phew that's ok then. It sounded like you were lost in France from the above.
Actually wasn't Bonnie from Wales? Does she still live there?

Calistemon Sat 08-Jan-22 23:01:58

mokryna

It will change again by the time Calistemon decides to return to the UK.

I haven't left the UK since November 2019.

Casdon Sat 08-Jan-22 23:07:09

And Bonnie’s in Swansea, still holding out for a hero..although as a PCR test is £68 (not £130) she could probably afford to nip over to France now and then.

Calistemon Sat 08-Jan-22 23:10:06

???

It's such a heartache, a total eclipse of the heart, trying to hold out for a hero.

Calistemon Sat 08-Jan-22 23:11:25

I've been sussed!!
??? ?????

mokryna Sat 08-Jan-22 23:19:12

Oops sorry. Out of interest, did you think there was a big difference between the two countries regarding mask wearing and distances kept between people?

Kim19 Sun 09-Jan-22 08:36:26

Sad and horrendous statistic. Can anyone tell me are we doing any sort of pro rata of population when we get our awful position 'league' tables?

Blinko Sun 09-Jan-22 08:44:59

rosie1959

Looking at statista rates per 100,000 gives a fairer comparison

Yes!

Alegrias1 Sun 09-Jan-22 09:38:12

Kim19

Sad and horrendous statistic. Can anyone tell me are we doing any sort of pro rata of population when we get our awful position 'league' tables?

Is this what you're looking for Kim19? Sort by deaths per million population.

www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

We're at number 30.