Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Schadenfreude

(39 Posts)
Zoejory Mon 31-Jan-22 18:14:02

One of my favourite words.

I don't wish Covid on anyone. But Lawrence Fox, who is quite odious, has got the virus despite him claiming his immune system means he doesn't need the vaccine.

www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/jan/30/laurence-fox-has-coronavirus-and-taking-ivermectin

I am also furious with him for trying to negate Nadal's victory at the Australian Open. Had he watched the match he would have seen one of the best men's finals in any slam.

I just don't like him at all.

GagaJo Mon 31-Jan-22 18:35:24

Don't think many people do Zoejory. He's a horrific racist too.

Grannynannywanny Mon 31-Jan-22 18:44:43

He reminds me of the appalling Katie Hopkins who likes to make outrageous comments in a feeble attempt to get attention.

Ailidh Mon 31-Jan-22 19:12:03

I was tickled to read in the article that ivermectin is used to treat parasitic worms..... Nuff said.

FarNorth Mon 31-Jan-22 19:21:07

I guess he won't be very ill and will use it to boost his views.

GagaJo Mon 31-Jan-22 19:27:48

Ailidh

I was tickled to read in the article that ivermectin is used to treat parasitic worms..... Nuff said.

Should finish him off then.

ElaineI Mon 31-Jan-22 22:35:59

pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.
"a business that thrives on schadenfreude"
I didn't know what the German word meant so looked it up. It's actually not very nice at all. Quite a horrible attitude really.

Zoejory Mon 31-Jan-22 22:40:26

Do you know anything about this man, Elaine1?

The awful things he's said in the past?

He has the horrible attitude. He refers to those of us who have had the vaccine as brave little guinea pigs.

Surprised you didn't know what schadenfreude means.

Peasblossom Mon 31-Jan-22 22:51:10

Not really quite Schadenfreude I think ? Isnt it meant to describe the attitude of an individual to everyone rather than to just one person.

More sort of serve him right. Is there a word for that?

Oh Comeuppance, maybe?

Josieann Mon 31-Jan-22 23:04:35

I agree with Peasblossom that the word means something like, "serves him right" or "he deserves it." I think it is used somewhat spitefully. The problem is when you get these compound German words where an accurate English translation is nigh on impossible.

As for What'shisname, I feel like saying "Who?" in order to diminish him. Unpleasant man.

maddyone Mon 31-Jan-22 23:59:00

He’s not a very nice man, and yes, it serves him right.

FannyCornforth Tue 01-Feb-22 04:10:53

I always thought that it meant ‘shameful joy’.
Forgive me for being extremely shallow, but I’ve always found Fox very attractive blush

Josieann Tue 01-Feb-22 08:24:32

He has got those chiselled features that can be attractive.
I saw him for real with his family years ago at Arrivals Heathrow coming off a long haul flight. Looked as fresh as a daisy pushing his trolley for all he was worth!

Josieann Tue 01-Feb-22 08:31:40

I'm sure someone German can help JackyB?? here, but if you break Schade and Freude you do get shame and joy, a bit like an oxymoron. The shame bit means almost damage and suffering and you get it a lot in German literature, all very dark.
But I agree with Peasblossom that in this context it means that something comes back to bite you on the bum!

lemsip Tue 01-Feb-22 08:34:27

.......schadenfreude

pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.
"a business that thrives on schadenfreude"

Peasblossom Tue 01-Feb-22 08:52:39

This ought to be pendsnts corner really?

What I meant was I’ve always understood Schadenfreude to refer primarily to the person who is feeling it not the person who has the misfortune. It’s the state of mind of the person who takes pleasure in other peoples misfortunes regardless of who they are.

But what Zoejory posted is more a Nah, nah, sucks to you about one person.

I’m sure she doesn’t habitually take pleasure in others troubles.

Hiraeth Tue 01-Feb-22 08:53:12

Crowing over someone’s suffering is cruel !

Peasblossom Tue 01-Feb-22 08:54:13

I’ve met them. The sort of person who just can’t wait to come round under the cloak of sympathy and feed off you misfortune ☹️

EllanVannin Tue 01-Feb-22 08:58:11

I can't stand any of the Fox family ! They're all affected.

TillyTrotter Tue 01-Feb-22 08:58:47

A colleague whose husband left her for a younger woman
said it was Schadenfreude when ex-husband got prostrate cancer. She said the thing in his trousers caused the end of their marriage.
Was she justified? Morally not.

ElaineI Tue 01-Feb-22 09:02:46

Zoejory

Do you know anything about this man, Elaine1?

The awful things he's said in the past?

He has the horrible attitude. He refers to those of us who have had the vaccine as brave little guinea pigs.

Surprised you didn't know what schadenfreude means.

Why would I know something I've never heard before? Not sure that comment was justified.
I know very little about the man Laurence Fox. First time I read the name was in the newspaper headlines. I don't know what he has said in the past but still wouldn't wish Covid on anyone.
The word itself, according to various definitions I read - the one I used was from Oxford English Dictionary, relates to the person who uses it. Perhaps he is guilty of doing that too. Nevertheless it is not something I would personally say about anyone as it reflects badly on the person saying it.

Josieann Tue 01-Feb-22 09:09:41

Like gloating?

Peasblossom Tue 01-Feb-22 09:39:24

I thought about “gloating” but is that more when something nice happens to you and not the other person and you’re glad because you think in some way they don’t deserve to have the nice thing.
?

trisher Tue 01-Feb-22 09:47:04

After the things Lawrence Fox has said I can't help it ! Schadenfreude it is. Shameful it may be, but justified it certainly is, "Hoist with his own petard" you might say.

Hetty58 Tue 01-Feb-22 10:22:14

Serves him right! What kind of blithering idiot is wary of the vaccine - yet takes Ivermectin (animal wormer) as 'treatment'? No logic there - maybe a bear of little brain?

Some people just have to be different - and special - don't they?