Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Do normal people not bother testing now?

(129 Posts)
NittWitt Mon 01-Aug-22 23:40:28

I was told today that 'Normal people don't test for covid any more because since February it has been statistically less fatal than flu.'

This was a young friend who had been in a cafe with her child last week, although the child was a bit unwell and may have had covid.

Do most people not bother testing now?

Lucca Tue 02-Aug-22 07:57:59

JaneJudge

I don't know how many tests you get in the box but I noticed for a small box of tests in Boots it was £10, which seems a lot. Obviously I'd test if I was visiting Lucca but otherwise, no I am not testing at all. I'm not sure if i am normal

??

Biscuitmuncher Tue 02-Aug-22 08:22:55

I've never done a covid test, I despair at all that plastic waste

NittWitt Tue 02-Aug-22 08:32:57

I didn't mean regular testing, without symptoms.
The friend said, last week, that the child was a bit unwell and it might be covid.
I text her this week and asked if it turned out to be covid and got the reply about normal people not testing.

kircubbin2000 Tue 02-Aug-22 08:45:33

The only time I had a test was pre hospital procedure.

Baggs Tue 02-Aug-22 08:48:41

Biscuitmuncher

I've never done a covid test, I despair at all that plastic waste

This worry crosses my mind frequently too, bisccy.

I've entered my covid health status every day on the King's College Zöe app ever since it started near the beginning of the pandemic. I've been entering negative test results since we were told to do them twice weekly at work. It's getting a bit boring now and I have wondered about stopping. The test results are entered at work on a different database.

Interestingly, I have had several presumed mild colds over the entire period, which is 'as usual' for me, but never anything that counted as covid. I say interesting because other family members, living elsewhere in the world, say they "haven't had a cold for two years". I'm not sure that is a good thing, especially when it's young children who haven't been exposed to viruses they'd normally be exposed to and need to be exposed to.

And so I arrive at a Hey Ho moment.

MaizieD Tue 02-Aug-22 08:57:48

Katyj

Most of my family and friends are still testing if they have symptoms, just out of curiosity really. Their still going into work and carrying on as normal if they test positive.

How utterly stupid and selfish of them.

lixy Tue 02-Aug-22 08:58:44

We tested before we visited family abroad recently, all fine. Otherwise only test when I'm going to see my mum.

mokryna Tue 02-Aug-22 09:05:36

If you don’t feel well, without a prescription, you can go to a testing point without having an appointment, to have a test free of charge, if you are up to date with your injections or a minor, in France.

Redhead56 Tue 02-Aug-22 09:16:04

I buy single tests from the pharmacy £2 it’s nothing to pay. It puts my mind at rest and if it protects other people catching the virus it’s worth it.

Galaxy Tue 02-Aug-22 09:16:29

I only tested when I was ill (with covid) I work in lots of different schools no requirement to test.

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Aug-22 09:32:40

We tested before visiting vulnerable relatives and friends recently although we felt perfecty well.

What is normal?

maddyone Tue 02-Aug-22 09:41:42

I usually test about twice a week because I visit my elderly mother in her care home. I also visit two friends who have cancer so I think it’s the responsible thing to do.

The type of people katyj speaks of, who go into work and out and about even if testing positive, are not just irresponsible, they are utterly self centred and selfish. I wouldn’t want to associate with such selfish people in any way at all.

NittWitt Tue 02-Aug-22 09:50:21

What is normal?

I'm not sure but I took it to mean the vast majority of the population i.e. not me who was thinking it necessary.

For myself, I almost never test because I don't go anywhere.

Witzend Tue 02-Aug-22 09:56:25

Dh and I both came down with something just the other day - me a cold with a nasty cough, him just feeling cold and very tired.
We both tested ourselves yesterday. Both negative.

NittWitt Tue 02-Aug-22 09:57:58

That's the trouble maddyone. If we have any sort of a normal life, we could be associating with such people - who are covid positive.
Just as some posters are saying they test before seeing 'vulnerable people' but not otherwise.
What about those of us who are 'vulnerable people'? We just have to stay hidden because no-one cares.

Galaxy Tue 02-Aug-22 09:59:40

The government guidance for under 18 s is 3 days after testing positive. Unless they are too ill to go to school. They are not stupid or selfish.

Witzend Tue 02-Aug-22 10:02:01

I should have added, we had spent last Thursday from 10.30 am to 8 pm, out with Gdcs on London public transport and a in a very busy London Zoo, so the odds on having picked up COVID were probably high.
Gdcs haven’t picked up anything, thank goodness!

Jane43 Tue 02-Aug-22 10:02:05

My younger son and DIL both had COVID last week, they have done regular tests but both their employers said they could still go to work! DIL said she would feel more comfortable working from home which she is doing until she tests positive. Our son is a service engineer so obviously couldn’t do calls but his employers asked him to go to the head office and work in a room on his own fixing machines, he agreed as he is the senior engineer and they rely on him too much IMO. He is home today as he found the room they put him in far too hot and it is a 25 mile drive from his house to the office. No wonder COVID is rife if some employers are discouraging staff from staying home, both son and DIL have a lot of contact with the general public.

Kim19 Tue 02-Aug-22 10:02:37

I saw a sign in local library for free test kits being available on request. I also know someone who has never done a test. Would that be considered unusual?

Glorianny Tue 02-Aug-22 10:07:43

I've only ever done two tests when I had been in contact with relatives with covid. I felt ill a bit ago and just stayed in for 10 days. I couldn't see the point of going somewhere to test or ordering one by post and then needing to go out to send it back.
I believe covid is set to become much the same as flu

Pumpkin82 Tue 02-Aug-22 10:32:56

I have a two year old and I wouldn’t test her for cold symptoms. For a long time lateral flows were not recommended for under 5s and I don’t know if they still are or not. It’s hugely upsetting for them though. My child has colds often as she goes to nursery three days, and I am not convinced other people are testing extensively. On balance, I don’t feel it’s right to subject DD to regular testing.

If she had a bad cold I wouldn’t go on a play date with a child who doesn’t go to her nursery for example, but I probably would still go to a cafe with her. I also wouldn’t go and visit grandparents if she had a cold.

If, however, I have any symptoms, I do test, and so does DH. If we have plans to leave the house anyway!

maddyone Tue 02-Aug-22 10:36:20

But people with flu shouldn’t be out and about infecting other people either. People who are ill should stay at home. They shouldn’t be at work, or shopping or anywhere else until they are well. We know that some people with Covid don’t feel ill, that’s why we test. If they test positive they absolutely should not be at work or out in public, but we know they do go out because Covid keeps spreading. They are selfish. And so are employers who ask Covid positive employees to work. Just selfish, no other word to describe them.

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Aug-22 10:36:55

NittWitt

That's the trouble maddyone. If we have any sort of a normal life, we could be associating with such people - who are covid positive.
Just as some posters are saying they test before seeing 'vulnerable people' but not otherwise.
What about those of us who are 'vulnerable people'? We just have to stay hidden because no-one cares.

Yes, I tested before meeting with vulnerable people but yes, I suppose I would be classed as vulnerable too as I was advised to shield.
I wouldn't go to a rock concert or football match but I have been out and about otherwise life would be like a living death.

maddyone Tue 02-Aug-22 10:41:52

When my daughter and her family flew from New Zealand in May, and returned in June, they were not asked if they wanted to test before they got on the plane, they were told. No negative test, no flight. And that included their four year old who cried and became upset. He had to have the test anyway. They tried to do it sensitively but in the end one parent had to hold him very securely whilst the other did the test. Crying and being upset made no difference, it had to be done. Fair enough, why should they have got on a long haul flight and risk infecting others because they didn’t test? They did the tests, they flew home.

Smileless2012 Tue 02-Aug-22 10:46:09

We had Covid about 6 weeks ago. Thought Mr. S. had hay fever but when he tested positive, I tested too and wasn't surprised to get a positive result.

We stayed in for 5 days apart from walking the dogs in secluded areas where if we did see anyone, we could keep our distance. Both tested negative 7 days later.