Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Do normal people not bother testing now?

(129 Posts)
NittWitt Mon 01-Aug-22 23:40:28

I was told today that 'Normal people don't test for covid any more because since February it has been statistically less fatal than flu.'

This was a young friend who had been in a cafe with her child last week, although the child was a bit unwell and may have had covid.

Do most people not bother testing now?

4allweknow Thu 04-Aug-22 12:05:48

When having to pay for kits and advice being very slack on what to do if tested positive can understand why people don't bother. If I was likely to be encountering anyone with health issues I would test. Otherwise taking my chances.

Grandmabatty Thu 04-Aug-22 12:07:24

I've tested twice this week as I have a virus with similar symptoms. Fortunately both tests were negative but I've avoided people anyway. I assumed that was normal

Daftbag1 Thu 04-Aug-22 12:13:10

I'm having a (very) minor procedure at the hospital, and I'm instructed to remain isolated for the 3 preceding days and to test on the day and bring proof that the test is negative (,which reminds me I'm not sure how to prove as I don't have a mobile or printer.

Daftbag1 Thu 04-Aug-22 12:14:15

I had to get tests from NHS and they are free.

Tamayra Thu 04-Aug-22 12:15:00

I believe the tests are very unreliable
So I wouldn’t bother

MadeInYorkshire Thu 04-Aug-22 12:19:47

No - despite the death rates continuing to rise, it's as though it had never happened!

I had it in March, I was ill, I haven't even had the merest sniffle for over 12 years so I know it was Omicron - I have no tonsils and had a throat full of razor blades for 2 weeks - none of the tests I did throughout that time were +ve! But since, I have felt absolutely wretched! Now got the Monkeypox to be worried about too ...

Peaseblossom Thu 04-Aug-22 12:23:51

Katyj “Most of my family and friends are still testing if they have symptoms, just out of curiosity really. Their still going into work and carrying on as normal if they test positive.”

Really???!!! How bloody selfish of them. Disgusting.

Peaseblossom Thu 04-Aug-22 12:25:36

There are so many selfish people about. My friend’s daughter had to keep her son off school for a week, because the teacher had Covid. The next day she went shopping alone and saw mums out with their children who are in her sons class! Makes me so MAD! ?

Galaxy Thu 04-Aug-22 12:26:24

Its government guidelines certainly for under 18 s that they can return 3 days after positive test. Its 5 days for adults. And these are only guidelines not law.

Shazmo24 Thu 04-Aug-22 12:26:42

I test weekly when going to our local "Senior Cinema " as it's a small venue with elderley people (I'm 61 & one of the youngest) just to ensure I'm ok and to keep them safer - they probably don't though

rosie1959 Thu 04-Aug-22 12:32:24

Peaseblossom

There are so many selfish people about. My friend’s daughter had to keep her son off school for a week, because the teacher had Covid. The next day she went shopping alone and saw mums out with their children who are in her sons class! Makes me so MAD! ?

Had the children tested positive for Covid people are not going to stay in if they only have had contact with a positive case

BStP Thu 04-Aug-22 12:32:57

I test before seeing vulnerable friends but few people I know bother to do that. Very few people were wearing masks at the theatre too. I think.people are not so worried about getting it now as they think it is a mild illness if they have been vaccinated.

BStP Thu 04-Aug-22 12:34:37

My sons employer insists they go to work with covid unless they are v poorly, i was shocked by that

essjay Thu 04-Aug-22 12:48:54

am still testing, about once a month. tested before and after holiday. test as a precaution as sister is awaiting(urgent) hospital appointment, also because look after grandchildren

Su12 Thu 04-Aug-22 13:05:12

I came back from holiday last Monday and developed a sore throat on Tuesday so thought I had better test and was positive. Still positive seven days later. It knocked me off my feet for three days and still don’t feel right now. Hit me harder than I expected as quite a few people I know who had it only had mild symptoms. I am also fully vaccinated. think I would always test just to confirm whether it was Covid or not. Its difficult to get out of that mindset so perhaps I am not normal.

Hil1910 Thu 04-Aug-22 13:15:46

I’ve just had covid for the 2nd time in a year and tested on both occasions. And I also self isolated as I’d hate to think I infected anyone else especially anyone in the most vulnerable category. I appreciate there’s no legal requirement to test but wouldn’t have been comfortable not to have done so. The relief once I tested negative was huge.

Daisymae Thu 04-Aug-22 13:17:27

My husband is vulnerable and all our visitors are testing before coming over. I would test if I had symptoms but as I rarely go anywhere there's not a lot of point in a regular test.

Willow67 Thu 04-Aug-22 13:27:55

We still test whenever we are going to visit friends or family and they do the same.

Usernametaken Thu 04-Aug-22 13:41:34

I have never had covid, never tested. Not had the clot shots. People falling ill are the vaccinated. It’s weakened you’re immune system so you’ll probably catch everything going.

People have always died with the flu, but we didn’t test for it continuously. Remember the NHS being swamped every winter??

The next thing will be a vaccine for monkey pox………… where will it all end.

And remember the caring government moving old people from hospitals to care homes, they caught covid and died.
Anyone joined the dots yet, it’s their way of reducing the population.
No doubt my comment will be removed as you can’t have an opinion now unless it goes with the narrative!!!!!

NittWitt Thu 04-Aug-22 13:51:07

If I was likely to be encountering anyone with health issues I would test. Otherwise taking my chances.

That could be any time you go anywhere in public and you could be infecting vulnerable people without knowing.

Of course, any vulnerable person who is concerned is likely to be wearing a mask but that is not foolproof, and not everyone can wear a mask, so it would be even better if others wore masks too.

As the government message is "Don't worry, it'll all be fine." however, no-one bothers and vulnerable people either have to take their chances or continue in the 'living death' mentioned previously.

My OP was about my discovery that it's now seen as acceptable to be out & about, including in indoor, public places, even while believing that one probably does have covid.
sad

Baggs Thu 04-Aug-22 13:55:51

I am a bit worried that the two year old daughter of one of my nieces has been given two covid jabs in the US. I thought kids weren't generally in danger from covid.

I suspect posting about it on FB is a touch of virtue signalling by my niece "pour encourager les autres".

NittWitt Thu 04-Aug-22 13:58:22

Anyone joined the dots yet, it’s their way of reducing the population.
Yes it is Usernametaken although I don't see how ignoring the risks, as you seem to be doing, is a good idea.

sazz1 Thu 04-Aug-22 13:58:56

Always test and stay home for 5 days if I've been in close contact with someone positive for covid. Do covid test on day 5. So far always negative never caught it. Have been in same room as 2 people with coughs for over an hour (small room) who were positive when they tested. Also had weekend visitors here who developed colds before leaving. It was covid but I still never caught it. Don't know why I don't catch it

M0nica Thu 04-Aug-22 14:08:26

Why on earth would anyone take down your comments Nittwitt? I think you have delusions of grandeur.

Natasha76 Thu 04-Aug-22 14:15:09

Just ordered some more LFTs from Dam as they seem to be the cheapest genuine tests I could find on line. Still expensive because I had to pay postage £24.99 + postage &4.35 for 20 tests but they have pick up points in most cities, just not where I live. DH is a volunteer Bridge teacher & some of the students are elderly so if someone we have been in contact with gets Covid he’ll test before teaching.
Otherwise not testing unless we feel unwell & we want to go out.