Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Favourite Works of Art

(56 Posts)
Butternut Fri 20-Jul-12 14:12:42

The Tracey Emin thread got me thinking about what I feel for art, and which paintings I enjoy the most.
What would you hang on your wall?

johanna Sat 21-Jul-12 22:26:01

Sorry absent, cannot agree about Pissarro being the Father of Impressionism.
He was part of a group including Monet and Renoir and others.
They came together for the first Impressionistic Exhibition.
End of.To say he is the Father of Impressionism is taking it a bit far.

nightowl Sun 22-Jul-12 10:36:44

I agree about Whistlejacket crimson, or any painting by Stubbs.

There is a painting of Anna Pavlova by John Lavery in the Kelvingrove Art Gallery in Glasgow which I found mesmerising.

I enjoy many artists but I guess these two encapsulate my lifelong loves - horses and ballet.

crimson Sun 22-Jul-12 11:44:49

The wonders of the internet. From being a complete sceptic about computers years ago I had to teach myself how to use one for my job and decided the best way to learn was to do things that I enjoyed [eg study horse racing form wink]. But, years later it never ceases to amaze me that I can read this thread and instantly google the pictures mentioned. I was surprised at the Lavery as it looks more to me like a painting of, say, Isadora Duncan..was expecting something much more formal. In fact, prior to last night I'd never heard of Lavery and he's been mentioned twice now, so I'd better investigate further [another excuse not to mow the lawn...]. Interesting the link between painters who paint horses and ballet dancers, both of which show movement in it's most beautiful form [imo].

nightowl Sun 22-Jul-12 13:06:36

Although Anna Pavlova remained a classical ballerina throughout her life, isn't it true that she met and was influenced by Isadora Duncan? I'm sure AlisonMA could tell us.

The painting is wonderful in real life, as you say it captures her movement and the colours and light are sublime. I was there with a group of friends and kept straying back to look at it smile

JessM Sun 22-Jul-12 13:51:44

There is a room in the Courtauld Gallery in London - a hidden gem. Manet's wistful barmaid is there, with the music hall reflected in the mirror behind her. Bar at the Folies Bergere, I think the title is. And a couple of Gaugins and a lovely blue seaside Monet of Cap D Antibes. That little collection would do fine.
If you have never been there - do go. It is ten minutes down the Strand from the National Gallery.

soop Sun 22-Jul-12 17:33:08

nightowl...the painting to which you refer is indeed mesmerising. I would LOVE to have it hanging on my wall. It oozes with the joy of movement. All that I have is a gift shop bookmark depicting the dancer. She appears to float in mid-air. Awesome! grin

nightowl Sun 22-Jul-12 17:43:18

I'm so glad you like it too soop. I love the Kelvingrove gallery although it's a few years since I was there sad

soop Sun 22-Jul-12 17:48:02

Yes, the Kelvingrove gallery is one of my favourites. I like the tea room too. grin

nightowl Sun 22-Jul-12 17:52:55

Mmmmm grin

specki4eyes Sun 22-Jul-12 19:37:23

Anything and everything by Sargy Mann. An amazing artist who is now blind but still paints stunning pictures - google him if you haven't seen his work.

jeni Sun 22-Jul-12 20:18:01

I have 4originals by Philip Grey and a Ruskin! I'm hoping they'll go up in value!
But it doesn't really matter as I love them anyway!

nanaej Sun 22-Jul-12 20:56:02

I have some Georgia OKeeffe prints which I love and two original paintings by a Palestinain artist, Leila Simes. I have some limited edition prints by artists I like but who are not well known, one of Dancers at Rest and one of London at the Millennium plus a lovey painting of a reconstructed Moorish tile. I also have some of my fathers painting on display. There are so many paintings by well known artists that I like it would be impossible to choose!

Butternut Sun 22-Jul-12 21:19:31

Oh lovely - lots of interesting names and works to check out on google tomorrow.

I agree nj Impossible to choose. smile. Nice to think about though.

glassortwo Sun 22-Jul-12 21:25:14

I have had a lovely time goggling them all, but I love The Kiss.
Sorry I know I am going off the thread but how is your leg butter.

Marty Mon 23-Jul-12 11:04:18

Love the picture of Cherry Ripe. Not sure who painted it,but her pretty eyes follow you all round the room.

baNANA Mon 23-Jul-12 21:13:29

I love the pre Raphaelites, particularly Millais.

baNANA Mon 23-Jul-12 21:17:33

Nanaej I also have a Georgia O'Keeffe print, a purple flower, I love it, it's our spare bedroom which is also purple.

patshella Tue 24-Jul-12 12:44:58

It has to be Monet. I love The Poppy Field and Water lilies.

BurgundyGran Tue 24-Jul-12 19:22:03

Undoubtedly Jack Vetriano is one of my favourites, I particularly like The Singing Butler. A dance version with choreography by Carolyn Paine. I am also a fan of Claude Monet, especially after visiting Giverny and seeing his gardens. I was pleased I could see the gardens in my wheelchair but had to sit outside the house while my husband went in.

vampirequeen Tue 24-Jul-12 23:37:57

I love Jack Vetriano too. My husband bought 'Back where you belong' to remind us of when we got engaged at a steam railway station.

I also like Jeff Rowland.

soop Wed 25-Jul-12 12:31:32

Dear Elegran, the postcard arrived a short time ago. Thank you for being so thoughtful. I could cover my walls in Hornel's canvases...the play of light and shade depicted in his work, is a joy. smile

Charlotta Wed 25-Jul-12 14:18:17

I also like paintings of young women looking out of windows. There are quite a few but the painters' names have slipped my mind. As a dog lover I love 'Return of the Hunters' by Pieter Bruegel. We had a blocked poster of this in our living room during the first years of our marriage and then replaced it with original water colours bought at auctions.
It now hangs in the spare room where I sit on my exercise bike. I pedal away and look at the intricate studies of men, women and dogs in the snow and ice. A really lovely painting.
As I write this I can see a print by Jack Ventrianno, hanging in this room. He is such cheerful painter and I ordered it after reading about it as I was lying on the sofa with slipped disc some years ago.

Both DH and I have painted pictures. We belonged to an art group which had its own studio and we were in our thirties. With time we gave it up being not seriously gifted and last year we took all the pictures out of their frames and burnt the frames. Now we have to get rid of the canvasses. But when?

From all those years we only have three paintings still hanging. DD2 has one and there is one here and one in the US which was the only one we sold!.

Elegran Wed 25-Jul-12 14:22:19

You are welcome soop

There are two paintings in the National Gallery in Edinburgh that I would hang side by side. Both are of children who have to work for their living.

"A Hind's Daughter" by Sir James Guthrie is set in the back yard of a cottage on a farm in East Lothian. A girl in her early teens, daughter of a hind, or bondager, has been sent down the garden to cut a cabbage. Instead she stands knife in hand gazing toward the artist dreaming, with her old dress getting too tight on her developing figure. Soon (maybe already) she will be expected to work in the fields, and dreams will take a back seat.

thebondagers.com/book-reviews
www.jennifereddie.com/dharma_in_the_garden/2009/09/a-hinds-daughter.html

"Pas Meche" (Nothing doing) by Julian Bastien-Lepage is of a boy standing on a canal bank. He makes a living waiting for passing canal boats in Belgium and helping them through locks and bridges. His clothes are threadbare hand-me-downs with buttons missing, and his boots used to belong to someone else and are too big (worn on the wrong feet for a better grip) If mother is still around she does not have a lot of time to fix his clothes. There is "nothing doing" at the moment, but he has the tools of his trade - a stick to fend the barge off from the lock sides and a horn to warn others of the canal-boats' approach. Above all, he has a lively interest in the world, and looks as though he is assessing the chances of making some money out of this posing for the artist. I'd say he has a healthy future as a barge owner.

allart.biz/photos/image/Bastien_Nothingahtml

soop Wed 25-Jul-12 14:29:05

Elegran...Guthrie and the Glasgow Boys are my favourite Scottish artists.

Elegran Wed 25-Jul-12 14:31:50

So down to earth and real.