Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Favourite Works of Art

(56 Posts)
Butternut Fri 20-Jul-12 14:12:42

The Tracey Emin thread got me thinking about what I feel for art, and which paintings I enjoy the most.
What would you hang on your wall?

johanna Wed 25-Jul-12 21:27:34

burgundy and vampire, you are both Vetrianno enthousiasts.
If you have time, Google the images of the following painters:
First, go to Edward Hopper , especially " Nighthawks " from 1942.
You will see that V. might have been influenced by that painting.
Then go to Vilhelm Hammershoi -Danish I think - who influenced Hopper.
And lastly to Vermeer ( need I say more? ) whom Hammershoi was influenced by.

Really really interesting.

dahlia Tue 31-Jul-12 16:46:30

Johanna, I really like "Nighthawks" - so atmospheric and seems to tell a story, or you can make up your own. Living in Cornwall, we have beautiful artwork around us, but I still think Sisley is my favourite. Also love the rather comic work of Mackenzie Thorpe, a Yorkshire artist. We have enjoyed many wonderful walks in the Dales and visited his very small shop in Ripon, where were lucky enough to meet the man himself. Returned two years ago to find a very posh gallery there instead, complete with rather snooty assistants - what a shame. Never mind, his paintings of sheep always make me smile, and I am looking at his work over the fireplace as I type this. We enjoyed the Hockney exhibition in February, and I would love one of his small studies of wild flowers to hang in my room, not what you would expect at all. Monet continues to be a favourite, would happily hang any of them. An English artist called Rowland Hilder painted wonderfully evocative scenes of our country, many of them were used on postage stamps or in the old Shell motoring guides, if he ever did any large enough to hang on my wall, I would love one of those.

johanna Tue 31-Jul-12 20:05:59

Thanks for that dahlia.
Just googled those artists. Never heard of them.
Love Mackenzie Thorpe.
I can see why you would not mind a Rowland Hilder on your wall, who wouldn't?

johanna Tue 31-Jul-12 20:51:36

.."who would ".. blush

crimson Tue 31-Jul-12 21:38:02

I've got a couple of Mackenzie Thorpe calendars; although I love his sheep paintings I find some of his work quite disturbing. Am I right in thinking that he sued people who were copying him at one time?