Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

New Gransnet Movement – "Old Pride"

(200 Posts)
Bags Fri 26-Apr-13 09:27:02

Zengran and I are starting a Proud to be Old club for gransnetters. We are sick of the 'culture' of youth worship in our society and people trying to disguise their age all the time (always downwards once they're out of their twenties).

Join here!

Old Pride Rocks!

sunshine

Grammar Mon 29-Apr-13 12:07:10

And me smile

Bags Mon 29-Apr-13 12:08:23

Bump!

Bags Mon 29-Apr-13 12:10:45

Do let us know about any good stuff you find that looks at aging in a positive way smile

Pittcity Mon 29-Apr-13 20:06:09

Have liked FB page.

Elegran Mon 29-Apr-13 20:12:30

Hi, Pittcity. I've not seen your postings before.

Pittcity Mon 29-Apr-13 20:37:46

I am pretty new to Gransnet and took on the job of local editor for Colchester, Essex last Week.

NannaAnna Mon 29-Apr-13 23:47:58

Have just Liked - as myself and also as both my Gransnet Local FB pages wink

NannaB Tue 30-Apr-13 07:55:41

FB page looks good. Have 'liked' it.

Pittcity Tue 30-Apr-13 08:25:36

Bez. I stick to Pittcity for all my social networks, emails etc. I find people using real names one minute and tags the next very confusing.
BTW my real name is Caroline.

olive2709 Tue 30-Apr-13 19:13:16

I will be 60 on 11july and fell very proud of my age never hide it or lie about it

liminetta Tue 30-Apr-13 19:37:51

I am old; I know I am . and with that knowledge comes power! My grandchildren say "Can we use your laptop?" and they now know the answer.NO you cant. AND they know that I mean it. We have got to stop being the benevolent nice person;(although I love them to bits) and they know that, too.Its the same with the kids in the street, playing football, and making a nuiscance ; powergran here will go out and tell them in no uncertain terms to go away!!!!!We all have that power, to stick up for ourselves;Margaret \Thatcher wise; I am up for us aall; to wear our lines with pride. Sod the Botox etc.,I am a nice person; I am a wise person; I will demand respect .Lets get out there and show the world what were made of!!!!!!!Bring it on!

dragonflysteve Wed 01-May-13 00:15:21

I'm not old, I'm just not as young as those born after me. At 77, Waking up in the morning is the first thing to put a smile on my face.

Notso Wed 01-May-13 05:02:24

dragonfly...I love your take on not being old smile

At 66, I consider myself to be approaching late middle-age.

dragonflysteve Wed 01-May-13 10:25:01

Hello Notso, many thanks for your kind comment. Life can be hard but Smiling takes no effort and makes everything better for free. Have Luck!!

annodomini Wed 01-May-13 11:22:22

I am cheered when I smile at someone in the street and they smile back. smile

soop Wed 01-May-13 11:44:12

In spite of a few internal "bits and bobs" that have gone on a walkabout, and a few [percieved by others possibly] external imperfections - thinning hair, laughter/sorrow lines, baggy knee-caps, floppy bot, one not-so-good eye/ear, two synthetic hip joints... I am happy to be 71 years old me. I could not have said the same when I was 17. Just saying...grin wink sunshine

Madrigal Wed 01-May-13 13:09:53

There's old and old. I can understand WH going to a tea dance if they want to talk to people who perhaps married before the war and are still going strong. But there are the 'young old' of a different generation (or two) who, if WH want to interview them in say a decade's time, it won't be at a tea dance because our youth was probably spent in a field at a pop festival or a rave in a London warehouse.

Honestly, I think we should all just get on and live our lives and not care two hoots about people who try to pigeonhole us - especially those pesky advertisers! We don't have to pay them any attention.

Madrigal Wed 01-May-13 13:14:34

I am currently reading All Passion Spent by Vita Sackville-West. It's a lovely book about an 88 year-old woman remembering her earlier life conforming to society's expectations and then going entirely her own way when she becomes a widow.

Even in the 1930's when this was published there was a conversation going on about age, stereotypes and women's roles!

janeainsworth Wed 01-May-13 17:46:06

Madrigal try The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall.

Marelli Wed 01-May-13 20:31:07

Count me in - where's the Facebook page? Don't do Twitter, though.
soop, I just read your post as having two HYPNOTIC hip joints! grin

soop Thu 02-May-13 11:37:02

MarelliTwinkleToes So that's why I can do "the twist"...had you been on the G&T? Or, was it that you'd mislaid your specs...grin wink
Wish that I could join you at the planned tea party. Can't you move Edinburgh to some place like Inveraray? Bags will confirm that the George has a cosy snug...wine

Bags Thu 02-May-13 12:09:59

Bags certainly will! When's the next snug meeting at the Inverary snug, soop?

marelli – https://www.facebook.com/EmbraceAge

soop Thu 02-May-13 13:17:01

Good morning, Bags...how about the end of May? grin

I've spent far too long on the Embrace Age forum...I love it. x

Galen Thu 02-May-13 13:56:05

I see we have a new ikon! A birthday cake smile

Ana Thu 02-May-13 14:01:42

Oh yes! Wonder if it's only temporary, for Gransnet's second anniversary?