Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Pop Songs - which ones stir your emotions?

(91 Posts)
Eloethan Mon 13-May-13 23:48:14

Sad: Fast Car (Tracy Chapman); Vincent (Don Maclean); Easy Terms (Barbara Dickson); Cat's in the Cradle (Harry Chapin)

Happy: Mr Blue Sky (ELO) Summer Breeze (Isley Brothers) Something in the Air (Thundercap Newman)

Tegan Tue 14-May-13 14:10:59

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm8x38USBiM

numberplease Tue 14-May-13 15:52:22

Behind Closed Doors (Charlie Rich)

When a Child is Born (Johnny Mathis)

Flowerofthewest Tue 14-May-13 16:24:13

~When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman - Dr Hook, cos I think its about me :D

PRINTMISS Tue 14-May-13 16:29:10

Ralph McTell (?) Streets of London, no idea why, but I suppose just makes me realise I am lucky. Love Bridge over Troubled Waters, and of course The Way We Were. At our 50th Wedding Anniversay party, my husband did not make a speach, instead he got my son in law to play "You're once Twice, Three time a Lady", and everyone went "aahhhh".
(that's the recording, my son in law did not actually play it)

Enviousamerican Tue 14-May-13 16:37:14

Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers. Ottis Redding Sitting on the Dock of the bay. Sherry by the Four Seasons

Sook Tue 14-May-13 16:45:01

Every time that you walk in the room (The Searchers)

Where do you go to my lovely (Peter Starsted)

Golden Brown (The Stranglers)

Tracks of my Tears (Smokey Robinson)

Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits)

Several by Gordon Lightfoot including Song for a Winters Night, If You Could Read My Mind and Sundown.

Nothing Compares (Sinead O Connor)

Suspicious Minds I'm not a big fan of Elvis but this one is a favourite.

Fever (Peggy Lee)

Many, many, more I love music it brings back so many memories and it often makes me cry.

Enviousamerican Tue 14-May-13 16:45:07

Led Zepplin Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.I love early Led Zepplin! Sherry the song I mention before just makes me happy when I here it.

nightowl Tue 14-May-13 16:47:32

Although I didn't like ABBA the first time around (not at all cool) the song 'Slipping through my fingers' moves me to tears as it strikes such a chord, possibly for all mothers of daughters.

I am also moved by a lot of Leonard Cohen's stuff, and Lou Reed 'Perfect Day' (but not the horrific group enterprise version produced for Chidren in Need - aaaaaagh)

LullyDully Tue 14-May-13 17:22:54

Nearly forgot Waterloo Sunset by the Kinks.

Eloethan Tue 14-May-13 18:03:56

nightowl I love "Slipping through my fingers" - it used to make me cry as well. I also like "The Day before you came", which is on the same Abba album. They were such clever songwriters - such brilliant lyrics.

wiseoldowl53 Tue 14-May-13 18:05:06

phew! hard one.... i would say 'young girl get outa my mind', loved it

Tegan Tue 14-May-13 18:09:30

Don't think that one would be allowed these days confused...

matson Tue 14-May-13 18:47:20

The rose, by bette midler, high sierra, by boz sags, led zep, bryan adams, the list is endless, x

Enviousamerican Tue 14-May-13 18:47:39

Flowerofthewest oh yes! early Neil Young!

Grannylin Tue 14-May-13 19:11:43

Ride a white swan -T Rex and Satisfaction -Stones. remind me of lazy hazy summers in fields, for some reason blush..but also can picture my Dad cursing every group on Top of the Pops grin

Pete Tue 14-May-13 19:30:35

Everlasting Love (The Love Affair)

Candle in the wind (Elton John)

Too many to list smile

Grindos Tue 14-May-13 20:30:12

I've just made a playlist of my favourite songs which I've put on my mobile phone. Most of them are rather sad ballads, mostly 60s. Beatles - Things We Said Today, Because, Across The Universe. Bette Midler - From A Distance. Some Elvis, Harry Chapin, Jim Croce, Cat Stevens. I shall listen to it when I'm in hospital after my heart surgery. And when I do the ironing. And on the bus.

nightowl Tue 14-May-13 20:32:53

I love that one too Eloethan. I see Agnetha has come out of hiding at last and she is looking good. Haven't heard any of her songs yet though.

NfkDumpling Tue 14-May-13 20:39:18

Annie's song and John Denver stuff and a sneaky liking for large helpings of Abba.

nightowl Tue 14-May-13 20:40:37

Sara by Bob Dylan. Fire and Rain by James Taylor, and Soldiers. Suzanne by Leonard Cohen holds very special memories. I keep thinking of more.

Ana Tue 14-May-13 20:43:31

nightowl, Agnetha's current single, When you Really Loved Someone, is very good IMO. She sounds wonderful still.

bookdreamer Tue 14-May-13 20:46:15

Loved the love affair! Loved Motown as well. Four tops "reach out". Far too many to list. 60's and early 70's were great.

Paint it black, Rolling Stones
Norwegian wood, Beatles
Heard it through the grapevine

nightowl Tue 14-May-13 20:49:15

I'll check that one out Ana, thanks for the tip smile

susieb755 Tue 14-May-13 21:11:20

I love my music, its so hard to pick a favourite - but from my compilation disc....

Dylan - Tangled up in Blue
Don Henley - Boys of Summer
Cream - Badge
Neil Young - Old Man
Buffalo Springfield - For What its Worth
Roy Harper - One of Those Days in England
Kinks - Days
Litttle Feat- Dixie Chicken
Michelle Shocked- Anchorage
Art Brut - Post Soothing out
Alex Harvey - Framed

Also agree wholeheartedly with fast car and norwegian wood

Lena Horne New Fangled Tango, I think is one of the sexiest songs , much underated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akZm0rU-UnE

Henrietta Tue 14-May-13 21:29:58

I loved the Love Affair and Everlasting Love is one of my favourites. Funny how the opening bars of a song stir something inside you. Whenever I hear the opening bars of God Only Knows by the Beach Boys I get a tingly sensation in my stomach and I have to stop whatever I'm doing and listen. (Too much information there)! Also love Motown, 4 Tops/Temptations etc etc