Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

The message is Be Kind

(32 Posts)
Bags Sat 03-Aug-13 08:13:03

A speech to graduates at Syracuse University by George Saunders.

Butty Sun 04-Aug-13 12:09:35

...... and further 'Be Nice' . According to this article, being nice has long term benefits.

here

vegasmags Sun 04-Aug-13 12:29:37

I'm not at all sure I agree that people get kinder as they get older - I think it's to do with personality rather than the aging process. Some people I suppose mellow with age, but I don't think everyone does. A friend of mine lives in sheltered housing and you wouldn't believe the rows that take place, not to mention the pettiness and small mindedness.

Grannyknot Sun 04-Aug-13 13:19:30

Bags you're right. And - I wish I had had a dad like yours. That's really good advice, that a straight "no" is better than giving out "maybe" signals, just to be "nice".

I was often too nice for my own good, so on reflection, I probably really simply didn't want to go out with that boy.

dustyangel Sun 04-Aug-13 14:58:33

Thanks Bags a wonderful speech.
I once put a card in with a friend's daughter's confirmation card. I wish I could find my copy of the words. It included things like " be wise,honest and thoughtful. Great advice for a fourteen year old!
The bit that I liked and that has stuck in my brain is the last line.
"And above all be kind."

Mishap Mon 05-Aug-13 10:06:00

It is interesting (and heartening) that this speech occurred in an educational establishment in the US, where I have the strong impression that education is a prelude to entering the rat race and trampling on those beneath you to get to the top.

It engages to some degree with the question "What is education for?" and provides an antidote to the ethos that prevails.

I always say to my GC when they are getting a bit aggressive (as all children do when frustrated) that being kind to others is more important than anything else at all - including what they learn at school.

susieb755 Mon 05-Aug-13 22:50:06

What a lovely speech,

I know how he feels - I joined a school mid way through yr 2 at juniors and was told by others not to play with a certain girl as 'she had fleas' - as a 8 yr old you just accept this -as an adult I crave to go back and say sorry for making her life lonely and I hope she grew up a better person than we all were.