Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Grey hair or colour it?

(119 Posts)
Jan09 Sun 15-Sep-13 21:40:49

I have noticed - mainly in magazines and newspapers but on the streets of London too - that more and more women are letting their long hair go grey rather than colouring it. I'm beginning to be tempted to grow my colour out and do the same. I hate the process of having it coloured and the expense and why can't grey be as attractive as blonde or black? What do other people think?

Gally Mon 16-Sep-13 11:23:38

Like Marelli's my hair is white. I had very dark, almost black, thick hair which went streaky grey at the front in my late twenties and gradually over the years it became whiter and whiter. I think dyeing it would make me look quite ridiculous; I am used to it now and in fact am often complimented on the 'colour'! At first I hated it - the thought of looking older than I was, but you soon get used to it wink

soop Mon 16-Sep-13 13:36:17

Gally you certainly do have beautiful hair. Mine is greying and I have no intention of colouring it. Just saying...smile

NfkDumpling Mon 16-Sep-13 13:52:40

I used to have blond and silver highlights (or are they low lights) because my grey/white was in uneven sploges in my original dark mouse colour which looked at bit weird. Now however it's gone all salt and peppery all over so I don't bother anymore - except towards the end of winter when I feel a bit down and fancy a change.
I think a lot depends on your hair, the style and how your skin tone has changed. A good hairdresser can advise and help your hair change gradually so it won't be obvious.

waldorfgrosi Mon 16-Sep-13 19:20:58

After a few weeks in France this summer where I saw soo many chic grey ladies I decided to come true and spend the money I save at the hairdessers on glamorous accessories. First stop was for new specs -yes, I went for bold and red! Next new ankle boots and all the while the last artificial colour is fading and growing out. Sofar feeling good and confident and would recommend go for it!

FlicketyB Mon 16-Sep-13 19:32:24

Depends on how you go grey. One of my friends is going elegantly iron grey with the grey hair spread evenly throughout. Unfortunately in my family we develop a thin halo of white hair round our faces and then stay our original colour for decades. I find it an unattractive look on other people and do not like it on myself so every three months or so I colour my hair, I use a colour a shade or two lighter than my original colour and it looks fine.

Why is it that we are so accepting of women who are not going grey colouring or bleaching their hair,look at the number of bottle blondes in the media and entertainment industry yet when an older woman decides not to go grey all her non-dying peers take the moral high ground?

Before I started to go grey I never coloured my hair because I liked my natural colour so much and because I always liked my natural colour so much I have no intention of giving it up until it is completely untenable. I think then I will dye it bright pink or green and purple. Why should the young 'uns have all the fun?

thatbags Mon 16-Sep-13 20:04:03

I don't think there is any moral high ground on this issue or on this thread, flick. Each to her own seems to be the order of the day.

FlicketyB Mon 16-Sep-13 20:10:36

That is not how this thread reads to me.

thatbags Mon 16-Sep-13 20:13:00

Ah well. Someone will have to tutor me in hair dying morality. I didn't know morals came into it wink.

Granny23 Mon 16-Sep-13 20:25:19

And here's me thinking that, for once, we were managing to agree that to dye or not to dye was up to the individual. I cannot see where anyone has taken the moral high ground on this thread. Perhaps Flick means some people out in the big bad world. confused

janeainsworth Mon 16-Sep-13 20:31:12

Bags! I keep telling you and you don't take any notice!
No-one dyes their hair in 2013.
They colour it.
grin

thatbags Mon 16-Sep-13 20:33:45

Ooh 'eck! Big trouble now! grin

baubles Mon 16-Sep-13 20:38:00

jane my SIL 'puts a wee rinse' through her hair grin she wouldn't admit to hair dye!

I have mine coloured otherwise my head would look like a giant used Brillo pad.

janeainsworth Mon 16-Sep-13 21:04:54

Baubles Rinsing was the favoured euphemism when we at school.
I remember sitting in assembly on a Monday morning speculating with my friend about who had spent the weekend with a bottle of 'Hint of a Tint' and whether it would have been 'Hint of Chestnut' or 'Hint of Burgundy' grin

janeainsworth Mon 16-Sep-13 21:05:39

'we were at school' even

Gally Mon 16-Sep-13 21:29:07

baubles grin. You have the most amazing hair, it's lovely!

soop Tue 17-Sep-13 16:53:53

baubles Your hair is gorgeous. smile

NannaAnna Wed 18-Sep-13 00:33:10

I finally gave in to my natural silver just over a year ago, and feel totally comfortable with it. I never wanted to look like Dot Cotton, and hopefully I have pre-empted that occurring!
I discovered my first grey hair aged 11, and was about 50% grey by the age of 35 (I blame my youngest daughter who was born then wink)
I then spent 25 years colouring it varying shades of chestnut, or copper, or mahogany before going a bit lighter in my late fifties but right back to the chestnut for my 60th birthday!
I spent the following eleven months lightening it again, and last November had a short crop to get rid of the last of the artificial colour.
Since then I have been growing it, and plan to keep on growing it for the first time since my 20's! Long and silver, with perhaps a flash of pink, turquoise or purple whenever the mood takes me smile
I actually think it suits me better than dark hair. The only 'negative' is that I was always thought to be significantly younger than my biological years with dark hair, whereas now that no longer happens. Grey still seems to say 'old' to a lot of people. I do believe that is changing slowly, but I occasionally miss those gasps of disbelief!

Anne58 Wed 18-Sep-13 00:39:55

I have short hair that grows very fast. I would love to see what my natural grey is like now (got my first grey hairs at 21, apparently my biological father was completely grey by 30) but just can't face the growing out stage.

I did once try having it dyed platinum blond (took 2 sessions in the salon, one after the other as the first one came out a sort of pale apricot). Mr P didn't like it. Even worse, when he woke up the next morning and looked across at me he let out a shriek, as in his first moments of waking he'd forgotten about the change of colour and thought that he had brought a strange woman home!

moomin Wed 18-Sep-13 08:25:41

Hint of a Tint! I'd forgotten about that one. I'm happy colouring my hair which was originally dark brown and as the grey hairs appeared for a while it looked OK. But I decided to go a few shades lighter than my original natural colour a few years ago and for now will continue.

If I had completely white hair, I would leave it "natural".

Gally Wed 18-Sep-13 08:29:46

The late Mr.G was 7 years older than me but, unlike me, kept his original hair colour and never went grey. About 6 or 7 years ago some neighbours with a similar age gap only the other way round, met J when he was signing up for a new travel pass and asked why I was not doing the same! They were very surprised when he said I was too young. they told him that they had always thought I was the older of the two of us! I was not best pleased shockangry

annodomini Wed 18-Sep-13 08:42:31

Grey, no! Silver, yes!

Bez Wed 18-Sep-13 09:12:21

Oh dear Gally not very diplomatic of them!! I used to have highlights/lowlights - darker lights through the really grey front part and lighter colour through the back darker hair giving a more even colouring - then about eight years ago my hairdresser started saying to me how grey/silver hair was becoming fashionable and he would say - think Anne Bancroft- and then I sort of got fed up sitting there with all the foil over my head. So stopped all colouring etc. Now use a dark blue shampoo as my hair takes up a tinge when I use other shampoos.
Lots of French women in the country still go for the bright red colouring or something far too dark for their skin tone and that I think is not a good look. Fairly recent for them to go natural.

YaYaJen Wed 18-Sep-13 10:35:33

Have coloured my hair since being a teenager, loved the shine and red highlight henna gave my mid-brown hair. Have been all sorts of colours and styles since, luckily my hairdresser is family so cost is much reduced.

yorke Wed 18-Sep-13 10:39:17

My hair is dyed red & I love it but the dye comes out evertime i wash it which is a nuisance. Also i go to the hairdresser to have it done as i hate the mess of doing it myself. It does cost alot though I should like to see what my normal hair colour is but if it is a salt & pepper colour, I shall be dyeing back to red. Love the pure white/ silver colour!

kittylester Wed 18-Sep-13 10:45:50

If my hair was white, I'd leave it natural. Faded rat, on the other hand, is not a good look on anyone. grin